UK election night

Alzinho said:
Just to help you out with your English Lucas....it's not 'debacle' - the correct word is 'democracy.'

;)

What's that? never hear that thing in this country, pardon my ignorance, on the other hand...

The UK election — what a debacle

......more

The Brits call it a parliamentary democracy.

We’d call it a parliamentary debacle.

Lucas said:
What's that? never hear that thing in this country, pardon my ignorance, on the other hand...
The UK election — what a debacle
......more
The Brits call it a parliamentary democracy.
We’d call it a parliamentary debacle.

So you know how to cut-and-paste.....well done!
And from an on-line Australian publication called 'crikey' - well, must be the source of all wisdom and knowledge then! ;)

The fact that there's a hung parliament is hardly a debacle though is it? It's the result of real democracy, of people being allowed the freedom, without coercion, to vote for whoever they want to. And now there's a process of deal-making which may or may not lead to a coalition of 2 or more parties forming a government - what's the problem with that? It's worked before and for centuries in other countries.

There are certainly things which can be criticized - there are stories of people not being able to vote because they turned up late at the polling booths and there weren't sufficient staff to deal with them. There was a 14 year old who claims he voted. I personally know someone who was sent 2 polling cards for 2 different constituencies and used them both. So the system's not perfect....shock horror! But still hardly a debacle compared to the majority of so-called democratic elections around the world!

Hey Alzinho, don't get so upset mate I just said that in this election the result ended in a debacle (a democratic debacle, if you prefer) but a debacle at last which will end somehow when the candidates agree on something to form government, but you can't deny that its a case of a love/hate triangle like in a soap opera between three individuals.

I think (my humble opinion) that Clegg will go the Labor way once sorted all the offers from both sides, it seems to me that their policies are more tuned and in affinity with them than the conservatives, probably Gordie will have to go as a sacrifice by the shake and in order to keep the continuity of the party in power, I may be wrong but I can't see them siding with the Tories.

I'm not upset Lucas! Just disagreeing with you that it's a debacle and laying out my reasons why. And you're still wrong - why is it a democratic debacle? It's just the result of how people voted. What's really quite amazing is that it's so rare that one of the parties doesn't get an overall majority.

What follows, ie. the shuffling about for power between all the parties trying to get a piece of the pie, may well descend into a debacle!

And I'd agree with your assessment of the likely outcome - it would seem almost impossible to believe that the LibDems would get into bed with the Tories - but a LibLab coalition would still be short of enough seats to form a majority government, which really complicates things. And let's hope that whatever happens that the never-elected, never-liked, never-effective, so-called PM does indeed have to step down - the sooner the better!

I don't think the British people, in their current mood would accept a Lib/Lab pact.
Labour has effectively been voted out.
The Conservatives have been sent a strong signal in spite of the fact that they were 20 seats short of the required 326.
Labour have lost their credibility completely.

Gringoboy said:
I don't think the British people, in their current mood would accept a Lib/Lab pact.
Labour has effectively been voted out.
The Conservatives have been sent a strong signal in spite of the fact that they were 20 seats short of the required 326.
Labour have lost their credibility completely.

How quickly they all forget.:confused:

Alzinho said:
....And let's hope that whatever happens that the never-elected, never-liked, never-effective, so-called PM does indeed have to step down - the sooner the better!

Your wishes had been fulfilled....now start the second half of the game...

Digested election:
Gordon Brown is going

Talks between David Cameron and Nick Clegg are going backwards, and the PM won't endorse anyone for Labour leader

David Cameron So, Nick. Is there anything else I can offer? A pedicure at Harvey Nicks? A couple of lovely Smythson bags for Miriam?

Nick Clegg Electoral reform …

Cameron Umm. No. But I can get you an invite with Lord Mandelson and George Osborne at Lord Rothschild's Corfu villa.

Clegg We're going backwards …

Cameron How about I let you keep a few illegal immigrants, then?

Danny Alexander Posh Boy speak with forked tongue.

Sarah Brown Come on Gordon, it's time to go. You can take the radiator you are handcuffed to if you really want.

Tony Blair Yes, come on Gordon, piss off. It's not as if you were ever elected prime minister anyway.

Gordon Brown OK, OK, I'm going. Sod the lot of you. I won't endorse a single one of you for leader …

Miliband, Balls, Harman Ooooh … get you. See if we care.

Lord Adonis Did anyone ever tell you that you had the most gorgeous eyes, Nick?

Clegg Yup. David Cameron.

Adonis You are so manly and progressive.

Clegg Electoral reform?

Adonis I think you'll find we can be very accommodating …

Clegg Carry on ...

Cameron I say! What about me?

Clegg I wanna be loved by you, just you. And you. And everyone else. Boop-boop-a-doop.

Good news for all those spouting about a new Falklands war; Gordon Brown has resigned and suggests Cameron for prime minister.

Glad I am too old to fight.

Back