UK riots

Seeing these rioting sh_theads makes me respect the hardworking cartoneros here all the more. I've worked in a couple of the affected areas and they don't know the meaning of the word poverty compared to the way many people live here. They feel deprived of their bling and expect all of everything that the celeb culture has made them feel they deserve...

Hmm... I don't know if that's a fully global view of "poverty". Yes, there are plenty of examples of those living in poverty doing a lot with not much that many "in the west" could learn from. However there's also a lot of major crime/murder, and extremist groups that recruit effectively from these communities too.

I am no expert in the area either, but 2 years working with street kids and youth from the slums in Kenya has given me a little insight into the positives and negatives of these populations. And believe me, these riots are minor compared to some of the long term dangers within some Kenyan slum areas. One example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mungiki

For those who think the riots are about poverty are absolutely mad. I was born and raised in the UK. My family were poor immigrants that arrived in the 60s and had to work hard to become successful. I've run into people like these rioters all my life. I went to collage with people like them. They're not poor. They're worthless and idiotic scallies that have nothing better to do than drink alcohol cause maythem and damage to innocent people's property.

Britain has an excellent social welfare system (way better than any third world country) with opportunities for all. These kids don't want to work or take responsibilities for their lives. Period.

coolhunter said:
For those who think the riots are about poverty are absolutely mad.
And I would say the same about those who view the world in black and white.

Saying poverty/unemployment/opportunities have "nothing" to do with it is as naive as saying it was the only reason.

I know more than a handful of people living in free apartments in London, even in the expensive areas, and receiving housing and sickness benefits because they are too depressed to work....

deeve007 said:

Speaking of which, why is no-one mentioning just about all the rioters and looters are black?

bigbadwolf said:
Speaking of which, why is no-one mentioning just about all the rioters and looters are black?

Here we go...
Firstly, because they're not 'just about all black' - there are young/not so young people of all races involved.
Now, I'm not denying that there are black people rioting. There are a lot of black people rioting and also a lot of black people who are standing up against the violence/looting.
As someone who has family presently affected by all of this, I don't believe it's a time for generalisations.

deeve007 said:

Saying poverty/unemployment/opportunities have "nothing" to do with it is as naive as saying it was the only reason.

Deeve007 - I am saying the cause of these particular riots in UK are not to do with poverty/unemployment/opportunities and not riots in general.

I think making a general comment about rioting and not have lived in the city is naive. As I said I have lived in poor communities since the 80s and in worse economic periods and I have never seen anything like this.

bigbadwolf said:

Agree with Smcali, this is not about black people but thuggish youths (15-22) that don't care about society. There's always gangs of them in every shopping area.

Back