Unaffected Middle Class

if you work in any activity where there is no union, you might be in problems in this country.
When there is a union and they negociate a minimum wage, even if you don t get it, you can claim for all of the in the labor claim when you get fired. If they must pay you 4000 and they paid 3000, then you can claim this 1000 per month that you have worked and they didn t pay you.

In this country is always better to work where there is a union or to run your own busisness.
Regards

expatinowncountry said:
Sindicatos negotiate salaries in April/May every year and the number they get (around 20-25%) works as a reference in the economy. Of course, the employer is not legally obliged to follow this if their employees are not part of an union. Therefore, in the last few years (I think) public sector salaries have increased more than the private one. Of course, if you are in negro... your situation is even worst.
On top of that ---- every Porteño I know who is self-employed has increased the hourly rates they charge right along with inflation.

garygrunson said:
As far as I know, there are no restrictions with credit cards abroad, just debit cards and dollars.

BTW, a bank here, gave me a Visa, Amex and huge line of credit and I don't have a job either. The never really checked if I had any money. So credit is really easy to get now in BA.

Using 12 interest free payments, with the inflation rate....maybe these trips will become cheaper as you make your payments.

Now we are talking! That is what most Argentines do. Ok, I don{t do it, but I am starting to spend some of these useless pesos, with caution but that is what you have to do to survive and stay happy if you earn all or part of your income in pesos.

nikad said:
Now we are talking! That is what most Argentines do. Ok, I don{t do it, but I am starting to spend some of these useless pesos, with caution but that is what you have to do to survive and stay happy if you earn all or part of your income in pesos.
Very interesting --- care to share which bank?

Bajo_cero2 said:
if you work in any activity where there is no union, you might be in problems in this country.
When there is a union and they negociate a minimum wage, even if you don t get it, you can claim for all of the in the labor claim when you get fired. If they must pay you 4000 and they paid 3000, then you can claim this 1000 per month that you have worked and they didn t pay you.

In this country is always better to work where there is a union or to run your own busisness.
Regards

Everyone I know working in Blanco, has a union of some type. It kind of comes with the job like insurance here. My friend do say that some unions are more successful than others. But basically they do raise salaries to cover inflation.

I am not so lucky

surfing said:

For me, Santander Rio. Asked me if I wanted a AMEX when I opened the account. I had it in a week, without proof of income. I thought it was weird but it has been nice to have a local credit card, you can play the game with installments and discounts.

I was at HSBC for 4 years and they never offered me anything but headaches. another thread...

surfing said:
It was not me who mentioned the CC thing. We have some cos we have an en blanco salary, etc, but sometimes if you go to a bank and show that you have several intl credit cards and that you live here, better if you have some kind of DNI, they might offer you something :)

My wife works for one of the big auditing firms here. Their salaries were supposed to be revised the first of this month (meaning the 2nd, the 1st was a holiday), however, there seems to be a freeze in pay increase because pay increases are not sustainable (don't know all the details about that, and wouldn't write them here even if I did :p).

One interesting thing to note is that from 3 years ago their salaries increased by at least 61% (over the last 3 years) to offset the effects of inflation. Sorta blows the whole 9% inflation BS out the water right there.

How are people able to afford vacations here? Well it seems like people are living on credit here (like many have already mentioned). Its kinda scary but I guess people just want to enjoy now and worry about tomorrow later. It also seems like even the local population has bought into the BS that "Argentina runs on a 10 year boom and bust cycle and a crash every 10 years is inevitable".

As for CCs, my wife's bank (HSBC) is offering her 3 credit cards. Its freakin' crazy. All she had to do was open an account with them and they asked her to sign up for 3 credit cards right there without asking her any questions whatsoever.

We settled for one, of course. I personally think its ridiculous to rack up debt to pay for something that is going to return nothing but 5 days of entertainment.

It might sound crazy but I tend to lean toward saving your money to go on vacation.

nicoenarg said:
It also seems like even the local population has bought into the BS that "Argentina runs on a 10 year boom and bust cycle and a crash every 10 years is inevitable".

Surely the best insurance against a looming bust is the hide your dollars under the matress, not spend them at Disneyworld !

Back