Unconventional Meat Cuts

You don't look that old in your avatar!

I will follow everybody's advice on the carpaccio. I am curious to taste raw meat from here. So far, I just tried carne picada but I didn't know how to ask for the one without fat (I think it is called "especial", right?), so it was not very pleasant.

For pork ribs, I wanted the 6" ones.
GS, we need to partner on that hog whack-o-rama of yours.

Ground beef with no fat is called "carne picada magra"

For carpaccio semi freeze but don't cut with a knife use a mandolin.

As for carne picada without grasa, that sounds fairly gross. I guess it depends on the final use but for hamburgers I usually want 28% fat as a minimum

If you find the way to make real bacon, you can open a dispatch on BAExpats and quit your day job!

My butcher has pretty good bacon. I think they buy it just for me since I buy almost all of it each time they have it:

As for carne picada without grasa, that sounds fairly gross. I guess it depends on the final use but for hamburgers I usually want 28% fat as a minimum

How the heck would you make a tartare?

Personally, just a lemon squeeze and some EVO, some parmigiano reggiano flakes, a pinch of salt... that's my favorite. But some like it with a yolk, others with parsley, etc.

p1090955.jpg

Personally, just a lemon squeeze and some EVO, some parmigiano reggiano flakes, a pinch of salt... that's my favorite. But some like it with a yolk, others with parsley, etc.

p1090955.jpg
I wouldn't use carne picada that's 100% for sure. Carne picada from a carneceria for tartare?

I wonder if you can tell the difference between e-coli and salmonella in a blind taste test....

p1090955.jpg

I would not use any carne picada for this.... As far as I know, you cut your meat with a knife for this, and it has to be a good cut of beef as well.

In Italy, to make a simpler entrée than a tartare, we just use minced meat without fat (macinato/trito sceltissimo in Italian).
If you want to make it yummier, you can buy a better cut and mince it yourself, but meat is pretty expensive where I come from, so this is cheaper.

20140731_115711.jpg

If I ate steak tartare I would not use carne picada from a grocery store or butcher. I would cut or mince my steak at home. I know my knives and surfaces are clean.

If I ate steak tartare I would not use carne picada from a grocery store or butcher. I would cut or mince my steak at home. I know my knives and surfaces are clean.

I am waiting for you invitation, then! You already outlined half of the menu!

Back