Unconventional Meat Cuts

Girino

Registered
Let's see if the forum's resources are up to this request.

I am having a hard time in finding a butcher with the equipment/willingness to provide me with certain cuts. I am in San Isidro and I am willing to travel until Belgrano to find that stuff.

1) - Carpaccio - None of the butchers near my house (and there are 3) have a slicing machine. As you know, for a carpaccio the meat has to be sliced finely, like if it were a ham.
I saw carpaccio at La Rosa Negra restaurant, so it is not unheard of in Argentina. Unfortunately, at that restaurant they covered 5 slices of meat with an overload of 'nut and vinegar' sauce, and a whole arugula salad, so I could barely taste the meat.

carpaccio-di-manzo-con-rucola-e-parmigiano.jpg

2) Pork ribs, single ribs - I need them for the recipe shown below, but my butcher insist that I have to buy a pork rib strip cut vertically, 'cause this is how it is cut here. I don't need a strip of 20 ribs sliced vertically, I just need 6 cut horizontally. I tried to explain him that I have to cook them in a pot, so a piece of meat as long as my arm won't fit, but apparently this is a no-go.

IMG_0244.jpg

Piaf, in Palermo the corner of Niceto Vega and Dorrego. They are usually helpful. then there is the specialty meat store on Lavalle in Almagro, I will see I can find the exact name but try googling carneceria lavalle abasto and it might come up -- if you find a place selling pheasant, venison and the like you have found the place I am talking about.

Serafina if you can't go further than belgrano, though Piaf is just over the line, try these:

10 mejores carnicerias: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1339526-conoce-las-10-mejores-carnicerias-de-buenos-aires

Boca abierta festival in san isidro (not until September this year, but if you can find a list of participants you might find another butcher): http://sanisidro.gob.ar/vuelve-bocas-abiertas-el-festival-gastronomico-del-bajo-de-san-isidro/#.VQ2wlBnNjqA

I'm kinda confused over the pork ribs. I think the ribs here are cut vertically just like we cut them in the US, they are just cut again twice or three times so the rib is about 2 in long vs. 6 that you might be used to. I was told that they cut them that way to let more flavor out of the marrow. If he is saying you have no choice then that must mean that he gets them already cut that way. Anyone who is butchering a whole hog can do it how you want it.

I have a deal for you. Let's buy a hog and I'll butcher it. I'll give you the ribs like you like them and I'll cut the bacon like I like it - not all fat with no meat and hairs still on it like it is here. :eek:

Just a word of caution on the carpaccio. Since we are talking about lomo, the most expensive of cuts, and since you will be serving it raw, be aware that (if you find a butcher to cut it paper thin) the blade is not necessarily hygienic. I would be concerned about eating raw beef (as I am concerned about where I eat sushi) cut from a questionable blade. Same goes when you buy ground beef - always advised to cook it all the way through.

When I have served carpaccio, I cut it myself with a very sharp serrated bread knife so I get the sawing motion necessary with a very tender item. Also, I semi freeze the lomo before slicing so it cuts easier, more uniform and very thin. Hope this helps.

Yep, don't trust those butchers method of preserving necessary hygiene for their machines. Who knows if even gets washed daily
using necessary desinfectant liquid,soap water etc. So I have always sliced my own meats to prepare the Carpaccio or Sukiyaki/Shabu Shabu meats slicing with this autmatic slicing machine.It wasn't cheap but intend to use it forever..Last 10 years or so, lots of slicing on that machine!

273387_topaz195.jpg

Serafina, in 40 years here I never hear of any place doing these cuts. These cuts are usually done at home or at a restaurant kitchen. For carpaccio they semi freeze the meat just so you can slice it nice and thin with a good knife. I honestly don't think you will find these cuts anywhere. Maybe if you are super inistent, you will have some luck with the pork ribs.

Serafina, in 40 years here I never hear of any place doing these cuts. These cuts are usually done at home or at a restaurant kitchen. For carpaccio they semi freeze the meat just so you can slice it nice and thin with a good knife. I honestly don't think you will find these cuts anywhere. Maybe if you are super inistent, you will have some luck with the pork ribs.

You don't look that old in your avatar!

I will follow everybody's advice on the carpaccio. I am curious to taste raw meat from here. So far, I just tried carne picada but I didn't know how to ask for the one without fat (I think it is called "especial", right?), so it was not very pleasant.

For pork ribs, I wanted the 6" ones.
GS, we need to partner on that hog whack-o-rama of yours.

Back