United STATES OF SHAME

mini said:
It's distracting and extremely difficult to read. I said it was OT. You didn't have to answer if you wanted to stay on topic. I've also said everything I want to say on this topic. You haven't advanced the conversation very much.

i didn't realize it was my job to advance the conversation. You've said everything you wanted to say on the topic? Please reread my original post. You have posted nothing related to my original post. You very seldom do.

if you find my writing style distracting and difficult to read then i suggest not reading/replying to my threads/posts. I, and I'm sure others, could do without your curt, sarcastic responses and nit picking that contribute very little except to distract from healthy debate.

i've tried to engage you in a friendly and diplomatic manner throughout all of our exchanges in the past. this isn't the first time however you've attempted to take cheap, subtle pot shots at me.

you insist on attacking the speaker and being unnecessarily critical over frivolous details rather than addressing the issues in a cordial, intelligent manner. you almost seem to relish in it. grow up my friend and stop being a child.

It´s very difficult to travel as an American these days.
I always tell my friends who come along to Ba with me to keep their patriotism to themselves. Don´t wear usa t´shirts, or put any markings on your luggage or self when traveling that confirms your home port.

In Argentina, you have to understand that it is a country that blew it considering their resources and well educated population (due to free k-college). at one time they borrowed from overseas like a college student with their first credit card, never thinking that they had to pay it back...they renigged(sic?) and often were overdue with world bank payments.

we. the usa, have not blown it yet... we came close in 2008 but somehow we scraped by and are on our way to some sort of solvency thanks to the chinese...

argentina changed their money system at one time (one year the inflation was 171 per cent! they put the dollar at 1:1 the peso/austral . it will never be that ratio again sorry to say for them, lucky for me...

actually argentina reminds me a bit of what buffalo, new york has been through. it seems like buffalo will never get it right. even cleveland and pittsburgh had renaisances but buffalo will be the last city to do so.

sad to say, argentina may be the last country to have a real economic renaissance. who would have thought years ago that brazil would and look at them. costa rica for god´s sake is doing well..

as much as many of us like living in Ba with american dollars, there are rich argentines that are so sick of the judicial system and the corruptness here that they are moving to uruguay and considering the usa...

yes the usa has made mistakes but the peace corps and the hundreds of thousands of students that have come to its shores and gone back to their countries will spread the word that the goodness of the american people from every single little town across usa (don´t call it america and the whole continent is america) has so much generosity that it also overflows the coffers with global organizations like kiva.org and gates-buffet charities for aids and vaccinations for malaria.

so what´s my point? keep all this to yourselves don´t rub their noses in it. many of them don´t travel so they are provincial even though they have good education but it is not practical education, it is book education. they don´t know how we function in our every day lives in the usa, they only know what they read in their own publications. they don´t understand that we really do have freedom of speech in our newspapers and on the streets. that the ny times and the atlanta journal are great papers with all sorts of real news.

i know that the above sounds patronizing but this was written for ex pats and this IS an ex-pat web site and all the natives are curious and voyeuristic. they would give their eye teeth to see what the usa is like. USA is wonderful when you have a job, not so wonderful when you don´t and you´re alone. buenos aires is a great place when you are jobless or have limited income. it may end up being my next home. I have come home again as this is where I was born a long, long time ago.

I am grateful to be here but I won´t sing the praises of usa to anyone here. it´s just not polite.

redrum said:
i didn't realize it was my job to advance the conversation. You've said everything you wanted to say on the topic? Please reread my original post. You have posted nothing related to my original post. You very seldom do.
Wait, you're the one who just told me that -I- should start adding to the conversation. My question is almost a month old. Why bring it up now? You reply brings nothing to this discussion either.

if you find my writing style distracting and difficult to read then i suggest not reading/replying to my threads/posts. I, and I'm sure others, could do without your curt, sarcastic responses and nit picking that contribute very little except to distract from healthy debate.
Yes. I found all those ........... quite distracting. Your writing is now much clearer & easier to read. Thank you.

BTW, you can't really think you are going to get a "health debate", do you? The subject of this thread is "The United States of SHAME". It's insulting and inflammatory. It's just like me starting a thread that said "Argentina: A big pile of DogShit". How do you thing people will react? If you want to have a serious discussion. I'd be happy to do that. But I hope you won't start the discussion topic with an insult.

It's like me saying to someone, "you're a complete jackass. Wanna have dinner with me?"
i've tried to engage you in a friendly and diplomatic manner throughout all of our exchanges in the past. this isn't the first time however you've attempted to take cheap, subtle pot shots at me.

you insist on attacking the speaker and being unnecessarily critical over frivolous details rather than addressing the issues in a cordial, intelligent manner. you almost seem to relish in it. grow up my friend and stop being a child.

You're being a bit melodramatic. You are the one who started this thread with an insult. But having said that you are reading too much into what I wrote. I asked a question. You answered it. That's all.

mini said:
Wait, you're the one who just told me that -I- should start adding to the conversation. My question is almost a month old. Why bring it up now? You reply brings nothing to this discussion either.

Yes. I found all those ........... quite distracting. Your writing is now much clearer & easier to read. Thank you.

BTW, you can't really think you are going to get a "health debate", do you? The subject of this thread is "The United States of SHAME". It's insulting and inflammatory. It's just like me starting a thread that said "Argentina: A big pile of DogShit". How do you thing people will react? If you want to have a serious discussion. I'd be happy to do that. But I hope you won't start the discussion topic with an insult.

It's like me saying to someone, "you're a complete jackass. Wanna have dinner with me?"

You're being a bit melodramatic. You are the one who started this thread with an insult. But having said that you are reading too much into what I wrote. I asked a question. You answered it. That's all.

Ok just for the record, i did not start the original thread. i merely reopened the original thread with the same title. original thread is here: http://baexpats.org/world-politics/7003-united-states-shame.html so if you want to complain about insulting/inflammatory titles then yell at jedard, not me.

Again, if you had actually read my original post you would have known this.

Moreover, you continue yet again to focus on insignificant details. who cares about the title...it's about the content contained in thread....to say that an inflammatory title does not provoke debate.....it's more likely just the opposite. Jedard's thread had 3 pages....mine so far has 8 so I hardly think ppl are not posting because they are turned off by the title. It sure didn't deter you from posting.

Why don't you let the moderators decide what is insulting/inflammatory. They seem to be doing a good job so far.

"The United States of SHAME" is referring to American politics. That is not the same as "Argentina: A big pile of DogShit". Dog shit has nothing to do with politics, therefore it's not a very good comparison.

redrum said:
Ok just for the record, i did not start the original thread. i merely reopened the original thread with the same title. original thread is here: http://baexpats.org/world-politics/7003-united-states-shame.html so if you want to complain about insulting/inflammatory titles then yell at jedard, not me.

Again, if you had actually read my original post you would have known this.

Moreover, you continue yet again to focus on insignificant details. who cares about the title...it's about the content contained in thread....to say that an inflammatory title does not provoke debate.....it's more likely just the opposite. Jedard's thread had 3 pages....mine so far has 8 so I hardly think ppl are not posting because they are turned off by the title. It sure didn't deter you from posting.

Why don't you let the moderators decide what is insulting/inflammatory. They seem to be doing a good job so far.

Yes. You are probably right. I guess I'm the one who's being melodramatic this time! ;)

I agree, agree and agree, but I need to comment on the following:

Carolina Girl said:
In Argentina, you have to understand that it is a country that blew it considering their resources and well educated population (due to free k-college). at one time they borrowed from overseas like a college student with their first credit card, never thinking that they had to pay it back...they renigged(sic?) and often were overdue with world bank payments.

we. the usa, have not blown it yet... we came close in 2008 but somehow we scraped by and are on our way to some sort of solvency thanks to the chinese...

Not somehow, and we have nothing to thank the Chinese (or Arabs, considering Citi), The American Government blows its gargantuan spending like any other gov, the difference is that it also provides, as you pointed out, certain level of freedom which in turn leads to citizens being able to experiment, invent and produce enough in spite of its gov. As long as inventions continue (and they actually do continue) the citizens will be able to leverage their Government's money black hole.

Carolina Girl said:
actually argentina reminds me a bit of what buffalo, new york has been through. it seems like buffalo will never get it right. even cleveland and pittsburgh had renaisances but buffalo will be the last city to do so.
imes and the atlanta journal are great papers with all sorts of real news.

Or Detroit.....
And it's not coincidence, the whole Rust Belt has been asking for bailouts for the last 40 years in the name of defending jobs and national industry (producing the opposite effects) which is pretty much the same how Argentina has been managing its Economy. There might be Freedom of Speech in Michigan, but maybe as much Economic Freedom as down here.

redrum said:

also, Citygirl, to be fair. you say you lost some friends during the 9/11 attacks. well, a person didn't have to be there to have an opinion on what really happened. we all lost something that day, whether we were there or not. you being there does NOT make you an authority on what happened nor does it mean that you hurt anymore than any other human being.

the official story to 9/11 is a lie.

and that is NOT an insult. rather it IS an insult to swallow that a man in a cave on kidney dialysis orchestrated the attacks and is still on the loose after 8 years.

funny how bin laden is not even on the fbi's most wanted list...why you ask? because there is NOT enough evidence to link him to the crime. yet, if you ask any layman on the street they will tell you that bin laden was responsible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3oIbO0AWE

Don't often check these but
1) I have never claimed to be an expert on 9/11. What I said was hearing people tell me they know EXACTLY what happened (when they were not there) strikes me as ridiculous and insensitive.

and
2) Wrong on the Bin Laden thing: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/laden.htm

As for the rest, carry on.

citygirl said:
Don't often check these but
1) I have never claimed to be an expert on 9/11. What I said was hearing people tell me they know EXACTLY what happened (when they were not there) strikes me as ridiculous and insensitive.

What we say think happened is based on testimony from people who were there. Not having been to a particular place has nothing to do with your knowledge on the subject. Isn't that obvious?

citygirl said:
and
2) Wrong on the Bin Laden thing: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/laden.htm

As for the rest, carry on.

He is on the top 10 list, but if you look closer, he is not wanted for 9/11. Why do you think that is?

Back