University Student Coming to Work in BA

uh123b

Registered
a) How are the northern suburbs of BsAS?

b) Does anyone have any recommendations for finding a homestay?

c) Would it be feasible/convenient to commute from a homestay in Palermo/Belgrano to the northern suburbs on colectivos?

a) the area is one of the best in Argentina.

b) BA is a world-class city, think Paris, NYC, Berlin. Yes it is possible to live alone in the city, but I think it would be better to share a flat with other foreigner or local students.

c) It is feasible. Maybe you could live in the middle between those areas: Belgrano and/or Nuñez, very good neighborhoods with everything at your disposal. You have also trains to reach the northern suburbs, which are quick, safe and cheap.

Yes as marksoc said.... it is a very nice good area of the north part of the city....
it is also pretty easy to get to it..
The train goes from Las Canitas or Belgrano to Vicente Lopez and or Olivos so it would be easy... try to live in Belgrano or Las Canaitas if possible. I think Vicente Lopez and Olivos are both very nice but mostly just homes up there and not much action for a young college person. Hey I might see you on the train...I go to Vicente Lopez every day!!!...........Well good luck to you

I think the key to your transportation needs is to live near to one of the mitre stations in capital. I know you mentioned living in palermo but I wouldn't count out living in retiro either, very nice area, great transportation.

Depending on how long your stay is, it might be good to get a temporary base in the neighborhood you're staying in and then look. I just moved here and it took 3 weeks to find a permanent place to stay. I temporarily stayed in a place that I found on Airbnb.com that was great. Then I shlepped all over the city looking on Craigslist and http://www.compartodepto.com/ I was very discouraged the first 2 weeks as there did not seem to be a lot of postings, and all of a sudden the number increased, so my advice is find something you really like, and ask everyone you meet about it! People in bars, the wait staff, people at meetups, people in your school, etc. Everything helps!

I live in Vicente Lopez. If you need to commute daily, Palermo is not the best option as it would take you some 40 minutes by colectivo. As previous posters said, try for Nunez, Las Canitas or Belgrano. They have train stations and are not too far from Palermo.

b) I am trying to find a living situation that would be most safe/comfortable for a foreign student with pretty decent but not perfect Spanish proficiency. Since it doesn't seem like it would be a great idea to live alone in BA as a foreigner, I am looking into homestays. Does anyone have any recommendations for finding one?

My Spanish tutor arranges homestays for foreign students and tourists. That might be a good option for you to start out in, while you get acquainted with the city and look for your own place. Let me know if you'd like me to forward along her contact info.

Thank you for the replies.

A few follow up questions:

-How would you rank Nunez, Belgrano, and Las Canitas in terms of safety and in terms of dining/entertainment options for someone in their early twenties?
-Which train/colectivo route would be most convenient to live near? Since I will likely have to walk to and from the station after sunset, I would like to be as close as possible to the station. I have tried researching subte and train routes online, but it's very difficult to find a good map of train stops and colectivo routes. Any suggestions?

cafeconleche said:
I live in Vicente Lopez. If you need to commute daily, Palermo is not the best option as it would take you some 40 minutes by colectivo. As previous posters said, try for Nunez, Las Canitas or Belgrano. They have train stations and are not too far from Palermo.

Belgrano “C” (China Town) Train Station NOT Belgrano “R” Train Station.
“R” is a nice neighborhood but tooooo far away from your work or Palermo play.

Back