Urgent: Cashing An Argentinian Check Abroad

jblawton

Registered
Hi all, a bit of an urgent question.

A friend is finishing a work contract in Argentina at the end of the week and returning to her home country. Her severance check is obviously made in pesos, and will be given to her just a couple of days before leaving. She was told maybe she could deposit it back home directly at her bank branch. The bank (in Panama) told her she could, that it would take 30 days to clear as it's in a foreign currency. Then again, most foreign currency checks take that time anyway, so I'm not sure I trust that bank attendant in that judgment (the banker might have actually forgotten this is freaking Argentina!).

I'd be surprised there's a loophole that let's you deposit an Argentinian check abroad and somehow get dollars into your account.

Can someone here give some advice? Has someone ever faced that issue with checks (maybe tax returns, honoraries, etc.)? Is there an easier way to "cash out"? She already asked the 'official' way through a 'casa de cambio', involving quite some paperwork --most from AFIP-- but seems she backed out on that idea.

Thanks in advance, especially with the short notice.

Take the peso check to a Cueva and get the Blue Dollar equivalent deposited in a USA bank account . Or Panama.

Back