URGENT!!! CUIL & Residencia Precaria

Ashley said:
To get residency here, you need to have at least a temporary visa...You can either get married, have a child here, obtain an offer of (legal, contracted) employment or apply for a rentista visa (by proving that you have +US$1,000 of external income). If you do not meet any of those requirements, you can't get residency....punto!

You could also look into applying for the visa as a student. You would have to be enrolled in a university for a course that lasts more than 1 year. UBA is free except for postgraduate courses & languages.

Ashley said:
These kind of employers really set my teeth on edge!
Basically, unless you get a precontract from this employer, there is no way that you can apply for a work visa (either temporary or permanent).
In order for your employer to give you the precontract, they need to go and register at immigrations as a company that "requires foreign staff" and to do that they need to submit their necessary paperwork from the AFIP (Argentine tax office) and criminal check (if it is a small company). If its a large company, there's various other paperwork they have to submit.

As far as her telling you that they had a French employee that worked for another IT company for a short while and then jumped ship...that is impossible! Work visas for foreigners are TEMPORARY and SPECIFIC to a particular company/sponsor. You have to get it renewed every year for 3 years, after which you can apply for a permanent visa and then jump ship and work for whomever you like under the same terms and conditions as any other Argentine. So the French guy must have been working somewhere else for a considerable period of time (+3 years) before switching companies. If the French guy did get his 1 year visa from another company and then decided to leave within that time period, his previous company is obliged to notify immigrations...and would stop paying his tax and contributions when he left! Either way, even if he got away with that...his visa would run out at the end of the year anyway and it would be up to his current company to start the process of employing him!

As far as getting a CUIL is concerned, I have heard from a couple of people that a foreigner is able to get some kind of tax registration here (so perhaps you could do that). Even so, you would still be working on a tourist visa (illegally!). I think a lot of companies here prefer to "employ" foreigners under the table or, in exceptional cases, have them get a CUIL in order to avoid the hassle and (mostly) the taxes/various contributions they would otherwise have to pay for that foreigner.

To get residency here, you need to have at least a temporary visa...You can either get married, have a child here, obtain an offer of (legal, contracted) employment or apply for a rentista visa (by proving that you have +US$1,000 of external income). If you do not meet any of those requirements, you can't get residency....punto!

As far as I can tell, unless you qualify for one of the above visas (which would still take a while to apply for) there is no legal way for you to accept this job - and it's really shady (though perfectly typical!) of your employer not to give you the precontract. It seems like they're basically just trying to cut costs. There are however, several IT companies here that do employ foreigners legally...and if you're planning on staying here long-term, it might be a good idea to check them out. In fact, the only unmarried, young foreigners that I know who are working here legally, work for IT companies!

Thanks, the most helpful & straightforwad comment so far!

Thank you! Unfortunately, I learnt all of the above the hard way. As beautiful as Argentina is, it is exceedingly difficult to come here with no ties to the country and no external income and establish yourself legally. You certainly have to come prepared for a long-term battle!
Even so, do look into other IT companies - I think (though don't quote me on this) that IBM, ETS, Teracode - have been known to employ foreigners here. You'd be earning a lot yes than you would if you were US/Europe-based but still a livable (and legal) salary.
Suerte!

Also forgot to mention that as well as not paying your tax contributions, a company that doesn't legally employ you would also avoid paying any health-insurance for you (something pretty standard in a legal employment contract here). If you decided to take out a plan yourself, you'd be looking in the region of 250-500 pesos/month (with frequent increases in price) depending on your level of coverage. Unless you're earning a pretty high local salary here, that's quite a lot to be forking out yourself.

Free university for non-residents??? It´s a dream! I´m going back to school!!! Is that really true?

maggiengrace said:
Free university for non-residents??? It´s a dream! I´m going back to school!!! Is that really true?

I was doing a Master's at the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba a few years back and DID have to pay a fee since I was foreign. I think it was like $1000 per semester, but don't quote me on that. Argentines don't have to pay, Mercosur nationals pay a small fee and the rest pay a little more.

Once you have your dni nobody ask you if you are a rentista or whatever.
You can work.
Offering a contract is an issue. The company has to be registered at the migration office. They must explain why they are hiring a foreigner instead of an argentinian.

Back