Uruguay Banks

Okay, perhaps you add deposits all year. The way it is normally, as long as it is under $10,000 each deposit, you don't have to prove anything or fill out anything. But when it goes over that, there is some kind of form the transfer in bank has to complete stating that it is not laundered funds. I'm not sure how that works. I only know the limits. But different circumstances might change things. Plus if it goes over that you have to justify where it came from. And yes, at the start they do want an idea what you will be depositing.

BROU is quite an Institution in Uruguay. Clearly the most respectful of the banks. Institutions in Uruguay are a lot more serious than in Argentina.
At least that I used to think till the moment they gave us USD fake bills (1800 from a total of 10,000).
Matiasba-san, then finding out about the fake "Green backs" did the bank replaced your fake Dollars? And how in hell a banking institution can not proof their foreign currency?

Matiasba-san, then finding out about the fake "Green backs" did the bank replaced your fake Dollars? And how in hell a banking institution can not proof their foreign currency?

Theres a law that you must get out of circulation those bills. So the bank people kept them and we did not see a coin. They robbed 18% of 10 thousands. And Im talking of one of the most serious institutions Uruguay has. Really, my mother is uruguayan and we never could expect something like that from them. We made the denounce. We went to Montevideo to talk to someone who can advice us. We could do nothing.
There were two factors to considerate: she has an account with an argentine (and it was him the one who took the deposit) and more importantly, they did the transaction in the closest bank from argentinean border, where all the sojeros have their money, the subsidiary on Fray Bentos.
It was a manouvre from the people of the bank, everyone we tell says.

So if youre going to take money from there, or even from Colonia Id say, do not leave the bank before being positive sure that they did not give you fake bills.

Theres a law that you must get out of circulation those bills. So the bank people kept them and we did not see a coin. They robbed 18% of 10 thousands. And Im talking of one of the most serious institutions Uruguay has. Really, my mother is uruguayan and we never could expect something like that from them. We made the denounce. We went to Montevideo to talk to someone who can advice us. We could do nothing.
There were two factors to considerate: she has an account with an argentine (and it was him the one who took the deposit) and more importantly, they did the transaction in the closest bank from argentinean border, where all the sojeros have their money, the subsidiary on Fray Bentos.
It was a manouvre from the people of the bank, everyone we tell says.

So if youre going to take money from there, or even from Colonia Id say, do not leave the bank before being positive sure that they did not give you fake bills.
I see, then it must be the "laundering" of fake ones by the insider bankers and sticking to the unwary gringos those fake dollar notes! I wander, how much bad one is handed to the innocent gringos coming all the way from Argentina to extract the Dollars but given the fake ones.! So if one to make a run to Montevideo or even to the Colonia, must to take your fake bill detector with you. Imagine if you are proofing the just handed to you American dollars at the teller's windows and you compiled a bunch of fakes, I would like to the reaction faces of those tellers !

There is a "bill detector?" Do you mean a person, an instrument--what? Never heard of doing that. I have sat in on real estate closings though over there and it takes forever because it's all in cash and about three people will hold up every bill and look at it. If one happens to be torn or something they are likely to reject it so you have to tell the bank you need really good bills. I think it's the same in Argentina. I never saw them reject any as counterfeit though.

There is a "bill detector?" Do you mean a person, an instrument--what? Never heard of doing that. I have sat in on real estate closings though over there and it takes forever because it's all in cash and about three people will hold up every bill and look at it. If one happens to be torn or something they are likely to reject it so you have to tell the bank you need really good bills. I think it's the same in Argentina. I never saw them reject any as counterfeit though.
Hello Arlean-san, haven't you read, Matiasba-san's post of him handed fake Dollars to the tune of 1800 out of 10.000 ! Yes I mean a portable fake dollar counter-detector or if no can get then even a special Pen to detect those bad bills?

Arlean I got my counterfeit dollar pen and uv light at a dollar store in the US.! I've almost never even needed to yes it but it does save you a lot even if you need it just once! If you ever want to borrow it let me know.

Ahhhhh, lacoqueta. I understand now that you mention it they use those in the stores in the U.S. Never knew about the UV light. See there? It pays to drop in at BA expats. One never knows what one might learn. :D I don't think I need one right now but since you mention it I'll get it from the States. Thanks.

This fake bills were very very similar to the real ones. They were so well done, that none of us three realised. We realised a week after, here in BsAS when our arbolito told us, and he wasnt sure either.

They were almost perfect.

This fake bills were very very similar to the real ones. They were so well done, that none of us three realised. We realised a week after, here in BsAS when our arbolito told us, and he wasnt sure either.

They were almost perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdollar

i wonder if they were North Korean superdollars

Back