Uruguay Road Trip Ideas Please Help

lucha54

Registered
My sweetie is going to take his first 5 day holiday from work so we were thinking to time it the week before the next long weekend in mid-Nov. We thought to drive to Uruguay (primarily to see Carmelo, Colonia, Cabo Polonio and Punta del Diablo - already been to the other places) and we thought it convenient to drive there and ferry back from Montevideo.... but it's about 5,500 Uruguay pesos which comes out to 2,000 pesos at the blue rate. Is it worth it to save the hassle of driving back overland? Would the gas end up costing the same or lamost the same? Also considering starting the trip at the end and making our way back; driving back from Carmelo or Colonia on the last day won't be as taxing. If we did it that way we would visit in this order: Colonia, Punta del Diablo, Cabo Polonia, Carmelo, BA.

Anyone else done the trip? What did you like? Any recommendations or advice for this ferry situation? Also any advice on cheap eats?... we have a tent (looking for hostels that have camping space so we can still have some amenities) and may bring the bikes with us on a bike rack...

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!!

I go to Uruguay 4-5 times a year.
What I recommend is to not go by Buquebus. Uruguay, unike this part of Argentina, has amazing routes, with cuchillas (little sierras) with ups and downs curves like this and like that, with very beautiful views, although if you re in a rush it might be dangerous. If you go by Bqb, go to Colonia, 95% of the route up to Punta del Este is highway, and then its a quiet route. Carmelo, Santa Ana, Colonia Valdense and its cheeses, Colonia Suiza, those parts of Colonia are nice to stopping by. Take pesos uruguayos, the tolls barriers will charge you in argentinos at blue rate. Something like 55 pesos uruguayos=30 argentinos, which is expensive (panamericana costs 10) If you go by car, you would be taking another route, not the one that borders the coast line, but the ruta 11. It is also highway in Argentina from Buenos Aires so is an easy trip. And a lot cheaper!!! Be careful the gas (and everything!!!) in Uruguay is three times expensive than here!! so get gas in Gualeguaychu before you cross!! Good luck, ah! I also reccommend La Pedrera its very nice!!

With the situation going a bit wild again regarding Botnia, expect a 0.5/1% risk to get blocked at Gualegaychu.

I love how the protesters left the place clean when I drove by like 15 months ago...

Frey Bentos is a nice wee town, not much there but they do have a museum dedicated to the meat packing factory (that is supposedly reopened or maybe not) and a museum dedicated to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Alberto_Solari

Las canas is also quite close and has a nice beach with wild horses running about the joint.

http://www.lascañas.com/

Much to my surprise....
183361135_aad612f836_z.jpg

have never been made there!

Why do people ask these questions... we all have computers; there are guide books; wikitravel; enough resources to review then perhaps come to the forum to ask about specific places. that is what i do. I have visited almost country in SA; and many others around the world. Doing your own research is part of the fun of travel. Try it - you might like it too. We all make mistakes when we do our own planning but it is what travel is all about .. my opinion of course. Walter

Back