Uruguay Road Trip!

mmoon

Registered
I've got an unexpected week off, and am going to drive around Uruguay. Except for stopping for new visa stamps in Montevideo and Colonia, I don't know the country at all.

Any recommendations of areas to visit, places to stay, or restaurants would be much appreciated!

I like the town of Nueva Helvecia. There is a beautiful 1920's era resort there called Nirvana. Outside the town there are some nice farms you can visit. One farm about 15km northeast of the town has some aboriginal peoples graves and sacred worships sites on the property. It is a very interesting place. It is called Estancia Don Miguel....http://wwv.agroturismodonmiguel.galeon.com/

here are some other estancias to look at
http://www.guiacolonia.com.uy/estancias.htm

I have a farm outside Nueva Helvecia, and often go for lunch at The Nirvana. it is a veritable museum, unchanged since it was built, with a very good restaurant and a a brand new spa. In winter tea is served by a giant fireplace, large enough to roast a heifer.

For the rest of your trip, you could stick to Route 1 all the way to the Brazilian border. Punta del Este, Jose Ignacio, Punta del Diablo, and the Fortaleza de Santa Teresa are interesting places on that road.

In Punta del Diablo there's an excellent hostel/hotel called El Diablo Tranquilo - owned and run by a young American expat. The place drew good reviews in The Lonely Planet Guide.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will definitely check out Nirvana for a meal. El Diablo Tranquilo sounds perfect as well as a place to stay. I think I will drive the coastal road up toward Brazil, so if anyone has other ideas of places to stop or stay, I would love to hear them.

Forgot to say, fill up the tank before leaving Argentina. Gas is 50% more expensive in Uruguay.

Everything I'm finding seems to point me to the coast...is there any place I shouldn't miss in central Uruguay? I'm looking forward to a peaceful break from the big city!

For a bit of hill views, take a detour up Rt. 60 leading from Pan de Azucar to Minas. The Parador Salus is nearby - a pleasant hotel by the Fuente del Puma, the source of Uruguay's best-known mineral water. From Minas take Rt. 12 to Punta del Este - a very scenic road. Takes about an hour to Laguna del Sauce.

The interior of Uruguay is for the most part gently rolling countryside - pretty but boring after the first hour.

Hope this helps.

Just moved here, about a week now and school doesnt start for 2 more weeks would like to see uruguay and help out with the gas if you got room?

SoCal newcomer...if you're still planning on the road trip to Uruguay, I'm back from our trip and we all loved it. I definitely recommend taking the the Ruta Balnearia & Ruta 10 all around the coast.

Although many, many places were closed this time of year, we stayed at Paradise in Atlantida, which had an incredible, huge, indoor hot pool. Also, Bravamar in Punta del Este, which seems to be the only centrally located, affordable, small hotel with a view. Both places were reasonably priced and came with breakfast. Nirvana was completely full, but looked very cool. We checked out El Diablo Tranquilo in Punta del Diablo, but their available room didn't come with any source of heat (and it was in the 30s at night). Piriapolis was an interesting town, especially the fish market on the east side. By far, the find of the trip was a restaurant called Mirjo in Punta del Diablo...we ate four meals there and they were all delicious, fresh and not expensive. We drove all the way to the Brazilian border, although Chuy was pretty much what you would expect from a border town. It was a beautiful country to drive around, and we were constantly impressed at how mellow and friendly everyone was.

Have a great trip! Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions...

Back