Uruguayan President seizes Pfizer vaccines Argentine neglected

What does 80% effectiveness mean? That 80% of vaccinated people are immune, or that people have only two chances out of ten of dying from COVID?
Let's say, at my age (and considering no other factors), I have a five percent chance of dying if I get covid without being vaccinated.

'Using your terminology, that's five chances out of one hundred I will die from covid without being vaccintated.

If the vacine has an 80% effectiveness rate, that means my chance of dying will be reduced by 80% after being vaccinated (though not immediately).

If the report of "80% effective" is correct, I will then have a one in one hundred chance of dying if I am infected by the virus the vaccine was developed to fight.

As far as I know, one of the vaccines claim to provide immunity from covid. You can still be exposed and infected.

The purpose of the vaccine is to boost the body's ability to fight the infection by developing antibodies prior to exposure to and infection by the virus, and as a resut, reduce the symptoms as well as reduce the "chance of dying.".

Thanks for the explanation, Steve. I understand how vaccines work. What I don't know is whether 80% efficiency means it works for 80% of the people, and not at all for the remaining 20%, or whether it reduces everyone's chances of getting the virus to 20%. Don't know how else to phrase it.

Thanks for the explanation, Steve. I understand how vaccines work. What I don't know is whether 80% efficiency means it works for 80% of the people, and not at all for the remaining 20%, or whether it reduces everyone's chances of getting the virus to 20%. Don't know how else to phrase it.

What does 80% effectiveness mean? That 80% of vaccinated people are immune, or that people have only two chances out of ten of dying from COVID?

ALL of the percentages claimed in the list below apply to individuals who have been infected after receiving the vaccine.

There is no claim that being vaccinated makes anyone immune to getting the virus.

The 80% figure in the list applies specifically to the reduction in death rates of individuals who "get the virus" (become infected) AFTER being vaccinated.

-67% de efectividad para prevenir covid-19 sintomático.
-85% de efectividad para prevenir hospitalizaciones por covid-19.
-89% de efectividad para evitar ingresos a UCI por covid-19.
-80% de efectividad para evitar muertes por covid-19.

As I indicated previously, according to the above figures (and based on stats I have seen regarding death rates by age), the chances of individuals in my age group dying from covid are reduced from five in one hundred infections to one in one hundred infections

That is a reduction in the death rate of 80% and that is what the 80% effective figure applies to.

My question is why doesn't Argentina *invent* and manufacture its own vaccine.
I believe there was an effort, maybe it's fizzled out. I can search if there's any interest, but in any case, I think the time for new COVID vaccines has passed. We already have amazingly good mRNA vaccines (BioNTech / Pfizer, Moderna), and an incredibly good Adenovirus vaccine (Sputnik), all of which way exceed any possible expectation we might have had a year ago. Oxford / Astra Zeneca and J&J are also very good, if stalled because of adverse reactions at the moment. Personally, I'd take any of them.

The classical inactivated virus approach seems to perform poorly by comparison (SinoVac in particular, SinoPharm hasn't demonstrated comparably poor results yet, though I've read here that a trial is happening in Peru, of all places).

There was some work in Argentina on equine serums, which is apparently a thing, bajo_cero posted about this I believe, as well as some other developments here. Chile reported some results from alpacas recently as well. Also, it's a big step from killing the virus in the lab (think detergent and ultra-violet light) to something that will work in humans. From my extra-curricular reading, I think antivirals, monoclonal antibodies, are the the next thing, I see Cuba, Israel, and the UK are working on on pills you can take to stop this thing in its tracks.

I was chatting with a local over messenger today . He texted me " I have had both doses of the vaccine so now I am immune" I have no clue how it is people are getting vaccinated and not being informed that are not 100% immune with Sinovac. In fact far from it. One would think the vaccinators would have been trained to explain this the to people they are vaccinating. Perhaps even give them some sort of documentation spelling out the real world data concerning their vaccination. So now this friend is going through life as I am sure many others are with an incorrect understanding of their vaccination without taking the further steps that are still required after the Sinovac vaccination to protect themselves and others.

Back