US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's my observation that customs officers from any jurisdiction aren't idiots. They have been trained, they have experience doing what they do all day ... every day. They have a very good read into what is in front of their eyes. If they suspect someone is up to gaming the system ... they will tie you up or they will hit you with an import duty or confiscate what is considered above and beyond personal allotment. They have a lot of power / latitude in the discharge of their duties.
I would guess that on an incoming flight from Miami probably 90% of the passengers are “gaming the system”. What is the threshold exactly of goods bought abroad? 300 usd? With the closed economy and shitty products at horrendous prices totally understandable. The laws in Argentina are such that you - one way or another, in some degree - will have to break the law (i would say bend the rules). Or is there really anyone out there (apart from you Tigre) who is playing 100% by the rules? Paying all income taxes? Always insisting on a factura? And most ridiculously, adhere to the currency control system and don't use the blue rate?

@ Sequoia

While you PLAN to migrate to Argentina all young Argentinian professionals are emigrating to Spain, USA, and Chile, for Better opportunities. Mother knows best.

In a recent survey carried out between residents in Buenos Aires City and Greater Buenos Aires, of medium-high and high socioeconomic status,with an average age of 32 years. 75% of the respondents evaluated the possibility of emigrating from Argentina.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm still evaluating. I imagine their situation might be different. For example, I want to transition to digital, online work, while many professionals are not going to be online. So for me the cost of living would be important, health insurance, nice city, etc. I'm however concerned about the high taxes, like income tax, which even in my low income situation of 40-50K might be the highest tax bracket in Argentina, 35%. Also the wealth tax concerns me a bit because I have a house here, bank accounts, stock accounts. Also, I do investing from time to time in stocks and commodities, so I'm concerned how much those gains will be taxed, and will I be taxed twice by US and Argentina. And what about social security tax, etc.? I may have to speak with an expert regarding that. Ultimately it's about making it work rather than saving every last penny possible, so I'll try to evaluate it like that and see if it's worth it to do. Was hoping to be able to work only part time if I move to BA because of the low cost, and then spend the rest of the time working on my books, learning, and relaxing, so not sure if I can do that. Maybe I need to speak with a professional who knows the tax and law situation there.

I would guess that on an incoming flight from Miami probably 90% of the passengers are “gaming the system”. What is the threshold exactly of goods bought abroad? 300 usd? With the closed economy and shitty products at horrendous prices totally understandable. The laws in Argentina are such that you - one way or another, in some degree - will have to break the law (i would say bend the rules). Or is there really anyone out there (apart from you Tigre) who is playing 100% by the rules? Paying all income taxes? Always insisting on a factura? And most ridiculously, adhere to the currency control system and don't use the blue rate?

Is exchanging at the blue rate illegal?

@ Sequoia

While you PLAN to migrate to Argentina all young Argentinian professionals are emigrating to Spain, USA, and Chile, for Better opportunities. Mother knows best.

In a recent survey carried out between residents in Buenos Aires City and Greater Buenos Aires, of medium-high and high socioeconomic status,with an average age of 32 years. 75% of the respondents evaluated the possibility of emigrating from Argentina.

They can plan all they want as far as going to the US, but given that the processing of immigrant applications is currently frozen with thousands of agents about to be furloughed, they'll be looking at a wait far beyond the average of 7-33 months for a Green Card with the backlog once things get moving again. Assuming they do things legally.

Good Morning Alpinista,

There may be a misunderstanding here???

Let me back up a bit, so that I represent myself correctly ...

When it comes to MY OWN PERSONAL USE ... I bring what I like into the country regardless of value and of course I am not declaring it or insisting on being taxed! I have never had a problem in doing so largely due to not pushing the envelope with too many things at once and making a reasonable effort not to attract attention. (Usually if you are alone or too business orientated as in not looking like a tourist, it's a flag!)

And to place all of my cards on the table, so to speak. There have been two occasions over a 15 year period when I have brought electronics into the country for another person. (For a relative purely as a gift ... I did not get reimbursed let alone make a profit.)

Given my my values and my good position in life, I don't need to, nor would I be interested in trying to double my money on a computer or cell phone brought into the country for anyone. It's just not worth it to me. I am the kind of person where if I were in the country and someone I cared about needed or deserved something I had not thought of to bring with me ... if I could get it there, regardless of it costing double, I'd simply buy it and make a gift of it. (I am not hurting for money. I don't care about stuff like this.)

As for Sequoia ... I was mere suggesting it may not be the best idea to be a mule for profit. Particularly as it appears (Not sure if this is true or not???) he is not well traveled / experienced, knows no one in the country and has zero ability to speak the language. Those are 3 good reason right there to just take the trip and learn the first time around.

As for changing currency ... YES BLUE is BEST! I usually get a token amount of currency at the airport regardless of what the official exchange rate is to take care of my expenses to where I am going and whatever else may need to be done along the way. After that, it is usually a case of allowing those who I know, to buy USD from me at a rate that is fair to both parties. If not, I'll change out in one of a few places I am a regular at.

I hope this helps.

Have a great Sunday ... T

They can plan all they want as far as going to the US, but given that the processing of immigrant applications is currently frozen with thousands of agents about to be furloughed, they'll be looking at a wait far beyond the average of 7-33 months for a Green Card with the backlog once things get moving again. Assuming they do things legally.
And this is why I feel there will be a huge amount of K-1s (FIANCEE VISAS) when things begin to re open.

Love is the fastest way to entry. Usually less than 6 months ... closer to 4 if working with a competent immigration attorney.

And this is why I feel there will be a huge amount of K-1s (FIANCEE VISAS) when things begin to re open.

Love is the fastest way to entry. Usually less than 6 months ... closer to 4 if working with a competent immigration attorney.

Do you mean love or marriage? As a USPP holder, I would consider a marriage-for-visa arrangement with the right person, for the right price, so long as they covered all the costs. But Argentine women already have a lot of competition from Venezuelan and Colombians who have a well-established foothold in that area (and overall have more agreeable personalities).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back