US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegan restos should be provided in all cities..!! If you can't handle dulce de Leche stay away from Argentina.
Breakfast without eggs, yogurt ,cream cheese , bacon, and cinnamon rolls, biscuits, french toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, cakes, and more.
Without the above it may not be worth waking up ,

Pizza without Cheese? It's like Lentil meatless burgers, No Flan con crema , no picadas..!
I believe that one can survive as a vegan here. But Jesus, Argentina without Sunday asado .... unimaginable!!! Even more in these times, the absolute highlight of the week!!!

Here in the US, at least in big cities like Dallas, vegan food is abundant, so much so that you can basically find substitute for anything: meats (so many varieties, some so realistic that it makes me sick and I don't like to eat them), ice cream (some even sugar free or low sugar yet still tasty), all sorts of cheese, dairy (so many varieties), pancake, chocolate (some sugar free or low sugar but still sweet), etc. and most are very good, often high quality products catering to the more wealthy, often found in places like Whole Foods. Now days they became more popular and you're starting to find them at regular grocery stores as well. Do they have these vegan options in BA, or are you just referring to basic vegan foods? What about sugar free or low sugar vegan chocolate and ice cream?

Last edited:
Overall very different. I only visit BA on the weekends or when I need visa stuff done. It is not quite fair to compare the two since they are so different. I feel safer in Dallas for sure but it also has bad spots. Much more wider varieties of food in the states but BA has the best variety in all of AR. After 2 or 3 days in BA (it's like Vegas to me, a long weekend is enough) I'm ready to go back to my town in the west.

If you're coming down to just experience the culture and not try to live a life I would say BA is good. But to live a life it has many challenges. In Dallas you're used to never waiting in lines or having Amazon put things at your doorstep with 24 hours. That does not exist here. Technology does not really exist. Things are still done on paper and no one is concerned about the value of your time. I would say that even sometimes people go out of their way to make you waste time. There are protests constantly and freakin lines for everything. If you buy a plane ticket there's always a chance you won't make it due to a strike somewhere in the supply chain... It's constant shit like this that beats you down.

You can't get all your fancy vegan foods, vegan is not part of the culture. If you're a "diy cooking" vegan I think you can do OK. If you're an "eat out" vegan you will be challenged. There are a few specific vegan places in BA but in the rest of the country you will not find a vegan catered restaurant. I'm not a vegan but my wife is and she cried after being here for 2 months. She's even a cook 95% of stuff at home vegan. The third time she double or triple checked that her food had no dairy in it before ordering and it came with cheese she spoke to the waiter and was told SHE was wrong because cheese is not dairy, it's a lacteo. She's even a native Spanish speaker. We've even tried to order pizzas with no cheese on it and we're told that it was impossible. Just don't put cheese on it.... "it's complicated" *shoulder shrug* The service people here will tell you exactly what they think of your situation if they do not agree with you. They could really care less if you eat there or not.

I would say the AR would be good for maybe 3 years and then I'd want to go somewhere else. I've been here almost two years now and sometimes a trip back to Texas really helps me refresh and I'm glad when I come back to AR with 100kilos of stuff I can't get here. 8 months later I've had it up to here with this place and I'm ready for a break. It's a vicious cycle.

Things I do like: we're close to the mountains, fly fishing guides and boats are cheap. Local foods are really cheap. I live close to my office instead of commuting through dtown traffic. Overall the people are very kind (you have to stand up for yourself when it comes to dealing with money, you need to know the different dollar rates, you need to always ask for a cash discount). At some point, you will be taken advantage of when it comes to business. Wine and beef are rediculously cheap. The area where I live is for now what I would consider very safe. The ice cream here is really good and cheap.

Getting a dni should be your first priority because once you have it your life will be much easier. Your life will rotate around this number, you need it to pretty much do anything online. You'll need it to use your credit card (it took me 8 months to get my dni so I used my TX dl number and no one seemed to care, this does not work online though). You'll also need a dni to open a bank account and get your western union money transfers from the states. You will be screwed if you have to use atms (10 to 12 usd fee each time and the max you can pull out is less than 100 dollars). You'll also get screwed by using a US credit card here.
I have never gone fly fishing but always intrigued by it. Can you suggest where to go and whom to contact to enjoy that experience?

Nothing beats boots on the ground.
If and when it becomes a possibility, i suggest you come down and take a look.
Before you arrive, if you are willing, I strongly suggest you consider bringing in some precious to us stuff. Electronics!
Prearranging the purchase of a brand new Mac, iPad, iPhone, AirPods, etc. can pro ide you with instant friends if you manage to just negotiate a decent plus for your services without going too greedy.
That could assure you dollars at your arrival and some other advantages, like not having to rent a place on the books but off, etc. Who knows.
Also, the next trip you might find yourself with friends willing to scout locations or practical information.
Ways to make your first trip much cheaper.
Also, cash here is brand new $100 bills. Check the related threads on this board!

Iz

Nothing beats boots on the ground.
If and when it becomes a possibility, i suggest you come down and take a look.
Before you arrive, if you are willing, I strongly suggest you consider bringing in some precious to us stuff. Electronics!
Prearranging the purchase of a brand new Mac, iPad, iPhone, AirPods, etc. can pro ide you with instant friends if you manage to just negotiate a decent plus for your services without going too greedy.
That could assure you dollars at your arrival and some other advantages, like not having to rent a place on the books but off, etc. Who knows.
Also, the next trip you might find yourself with friends willing to scout locations or practical information.
Ways to make your first trip much cheaper.
Also, cash here is brand new $100 bills. Check the related threads on this board!

Iz

Sounds interesting, but I'd be worried if such a thing were legal, bringing in goods that people ordered.

Sounds interesting, but I'd be worried if such a thing were legal, bringing in goods that people ordered.
Sequoia, It would be my advice to just take the trip and not be a mule. The truth is, the probability of getting into trouble for bring any single electronic item into the country portrayed as your personal item that you intend to sell to someone else won't raise eyebrows or cause suspicion ... so it is about zero that you would have an issue. BUT - It's always best to stay within the law. Bad things generally don't happen to people who walk a straight line in life.

If anyone asks, and they won't, those are your personal belongings.

Browse the board and you'll find it discussed time and again.

They're out to pluck us (local) chickens and will not bother to deal with foreigners since it wastes their time while they could be plucking more of us chickens.
You folk speak in tonges for them and mean big hassle and no loot. Waste of time.

First timer, no worries. Don't try this every other week. Have friends that used to come regularly twice or more every year. Xmas time each visit.

Iz

If anyone asks, and they won't, those are your personal belongings.

Browse the board and you'll find it discussed time and again.

They're out to pluck us (local) chickens and will not bother to deal with foreigners since it wastes their time while they could be plucking more of us chickens.
You folk speak in tonges for them and mean big hassle and no loot. Waste of time.

First timer, no worries. Don't try this every other week. Have friends that used to come regularly twice or more every year. Xmas time each visit.

Iz
Yes, I am aware of it, but this poster has reservations to following the law. His first time in the country, not speaking the language, knowing no one ... it may be a bit much on his shoulders for his initial visit. I am not sure he needs that dynamic in play to complicate his life. But I step aside and allow him to make the choice ... it is his to make.

I've known a few of my colleagues (gringos) coming back from the states to get ass rammed by the customs guys. Hunting equipment and (used) bicycles. I thought these guys enjoyed screwing "yankees". I haven't had the pleasure yet knock on wood.

I've known a few of my colleagues (gringos) coming back from the states to get ass rammed by the customs guys. Hunting equipment and (used) bicycles. I thought these guys enjoyed screwing "yankees". I haven't had the pleasure yet knock on wood.
Well, it's my observation that customs officers from any jurisdiction aren't idiots. They have been trained, they have experience doing what they do all day ... every day. They have a very good read into what is in front of their eyes. If they suspect someone is up to gaming the system ... they will tie you up or they will hit you with an import duty or confiscate what is considered above and beyond personal allotment. They have a lot of power / latitude in the discharge of their duties.

@ Sequoia

While you PLAN to migrate to Argentina all young Argentinian professionals are emigrating to Spain, USA, and Chile, for Better opportunities. Mother knows best.

In a recent survey carried out between residents in Buenos Aires City and Greater Buenos Aires, of medium-high and high socioeconomic status,with an average age of 32 years. 75% of the respondents evaluated the possibility of emigrating from Argentina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back