US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dallas native here. I don't live in BA though. I would try an extended vacation first before bet the farm on living in AR. It will be very very different from what you're used to. Veganism only really flies in BA. In other location many time they won't even understand the concept as you will still get cheese and eggs in your meals.

Give it a shot but don't fully commit until you're sure.

As a Dallas native, how would you compare BA and Dallas? How is it same or different?

As a Dallas native, how would you compare BA and Dallas? How is it same or different?

Overall very different. I only visit BA on the weekends or when I need visa stuff done. It is not quite fair to compare the two since they are so different. I feel safer in Dallas for sure but it also has bad spots. Much more wider varieties of food in the states but BA has the best variety in all of AR. After 2 or 3 days in BA (it's like Vegas to me, a long weekend is enough) I'm ready to go back to my town in the west.

If you're coming down to just experience the culture and not try to live a life I would say BA is good. But to live a life it has many challenges. In Dallas you're used to never waiting in lines or having Amazon put things at your doorstep with 24 hours. That does not exist here. Technology does not really exist. Things are still done on paper and no one is concerned about the value of your time. I would say that even sometimes people go out of their way to make you waste time. There are protests constantly and freakin lines for everything. If you buy a plane ticket there's always a chance you won't make it due to a strike somewhere in the supply chain... It's constant shit like this that beats you down.

You can't get all your fancy vegan foods, vegan is not part of the culture. If you're a "diy cooking" vegan I think you can do OK. If you're an "eat out" vegan you will be challenged. There are a few specific vegan places in BA but in the rest of the country you will not find a vegan catered restaurant. I'm not a vegan but my wife is and she cried after being here for 2 months. She's even a cook 95% of stuff at home vegan. The third time she double or triple checked that her food had no dairy in it before ordering and it came with cheese she spoke to the waiter and was told SHE was wrong because cheese is not dairy, it's a lacteo. She's even a native Spanish speaker. We've even tried to order pizzas with no cheese on it and we're told that it was impossible. Just don't put cheese on it.... "it's complicated" *shoulder shrug* The service people here will tell you exactly what they think of your situation if they do not agree with you. They could really care less if you eat there or not.

I would say the AR would be good for maybe 3 years and then I'd want to go somewhere else. I've been here almost two years now and sometimes a trip back to Texas really helps me refresh and I'm glad when I come back to AR with 100kilos of stuff I can't get here. 8 months later I've had it up to here with this place and I'm ready for a break. It's a vicious cycle.

Things I do like: we're close to the mountains, fly fishing guides and boats are cheap. Local foods are really cheap. I live close to my office instead of commuting through dtown traffic. Overall the people are very kind (you have to stand up for yourself when it comes to dealing with money, you need to know the different dollar rates, you need to always ask for a cash discount). At some point, you will be taken advantage of when it comes to business. Wine and beef are rediculously cheap. The area where I live is for now what I would consider very safe. The ice cream here is really good and cheap.

Getting a dni should be your first priority because once you have it your life will be much easier. Your life will rotate around this number, you need it to pretty much do anything online. You'll need it to use your credit card (it took me 8 months to get my dni so I used my TX dl number and no one seemed to care, this does not work online though). You'll also need a dni to open a bank account and get your western union money transfers from the states. You will be screwed if you have to use atms (10 to 12 usd fee each time and the max you can pull out is less than 100 dollars). You'll also get screwed by using a US credit card here.

Last edited:
Interesting the strong response this request from a potential expat has received? ue to the Quarantine all under lockdown find themselves with lots of time to respond..!

Interesting the strong response this request from a potential expat has received? ue to the Quarantine all under lockdown find themselves with lots of time to respond..!
My dni ends in an even number so the governor says I can't go outside on the weekends. That's nice of him. Odd numbers get every Saturday to roam outside.

I thought a better system would be for odds to have odd days and evens to have evens so you switch Saturdays but I think that makes too much sense.

Overall very different. I only visit BA on the weekends or when I need visa stuff done. It is not quite fair to compare the two since they are so different. I feel safer in Dallas for sure but it also has bad spots. Much more wider varieties of food in the states but BA has the best variety in all of AR. After 2 or 3 days in BA (it's like Vegas to me, a long weekend is enough) I'm ready to go back to my town in the west.

If you're coming down to just experience the culture and not try to live a life I would say BA is good. But to live a life it has many challenges. In Dallas you're used to never waiting in lines or having Amazon put things at your doorstep with 24 hours. That does not exist here. Technology does not really exist. Things are still done on paper and no one is concerned about the value of your time. You can't get all your fancy vegan foods, vegan is not part of the cutlure. I'm not a vegan but my wife is and she cried after being here for 2 months. The third time she double or triple checked that her food had no dairy in it before ordering and it came with cheese she spoke to the waiter and was told SHE was wrong because cheese is not dairy, it's a lacteo. She's even a native Spanish speaker. We've even tried to order pizzas with no cheese on it and we're told that it was impossible. Just don't put cheese on it.... "it's complicated" *shoulder shrug*

I would say the AR would be good for maybe 3 years and then I'd want to go somewhere else. I've been here almost two years now and sometimes a trip back to Texas really helps me refresh and I'm glad when I come back to AR with 100kilos of stuff I can't get here. 8 months later I've had it up to here with this place and I'm ready for a break. It's a vicious cycle.

Things I do like: we're close to the mountains, fly fishing guides and boats are cheap. Local foods are really cheap. I live close to my office instead of commuting through dtown traffic. Overall the people are very kind (you have to stand up for yourself when it comes to dealing with money, you need to know the different dollar rates, you need to always ask for a cash discount). At some point, you will be taken advantage of when it comes to business.

Vegan restos should be provided in all cities..!! If you can't handle dulce de Leche stay away from Argentina.
Breakfast without eggs, yogurt ,cream cheese , bacon, and cinnamon rolls, biscuits, french toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, cakes, and more.
Without the above it may not be worth waking up ,

Pizza without Cheese? It's like Lentil meatless burgers, No Flan con crema , no picadas..!

My dni ends in an even number so the governor says I can't go outside on the weekends. That's nice of him. Odd numbers get every Saturday to roam outside.

I thought a better system would be for odds to have odd days and evens to have evens so you switch Saturdays but I think that makes too much sense.

Brings us to a very interesting subject a DNI ending in zero 0 ? Zero is Odd or Even? Mathematicians don't agree yet 0/2 is Zero or infinite

Perhaps you meant Odd ones should go out days 1,3,5,7 ? non multiples of 2..? I would rather go out even days to meet Even Ones ?..?

Vegan restos should be provided in all cities..!! If you can't handle dulce de Leche stay away from Argentina.
Breakfast without eggs, yogurt ,cream cheese , bacon, and cinnamon rolls, biscuits, french toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, cakes, and more.
Without the above it may not be worth waking up ,

Pizza without Cheese? It's like Lentil meatless burgers, No Flan con crema , no picadas..!

you're preaching to the choir here, i eat my pizza with cheese but I support my wife in her choices. I can verify that in my city a vegan restaurant does not exist. Neither do new fancy vegan prepared food items. You can get raw ingredients here but you need to be into cooking. We also went 6 months without finding unflavored soy milk (I do eat this in cereals).

Even dni's should go out on even numbered dates and odd dni's on odd numbered dates. Currently they have it as even dni's on MWF and odds on TThS. So odds get every Saturday. Sundays are forbidden for everyone to go outside. The also have the times that you can go out set during "normal" work hours so that put a damper on getting anything done outside the apt. I figured I'd carry my passport on odd days but it also has an even number...

you're preaching to the choir here, i eat my pizza with cheese but I support my wife in her choices. I can verify that in my city a vegan restaurant does not exist. Neither do new fancy vegan prepared food items. You can get raw ingredients here but you need to be into cooking. We also went 6 months without finding unflavored soy milk (I do eat this in cereals).

Even dni's should go out on even numbered dates and odd dni's on odd numbered dates. Currently they have it as even dni's on MWF and odds on TThS. So odds get every Saturday. Sundays are forbidden for everyone to go outside. The also have the times that you can go out set during "normal" work hours so that put a damper on getting anything done outside the apt. I figured I'd carry my passport on odd days but it also has an even number...
I believe that one can survive as a vegan here. But Jesus, Argentina without Sunday asado .... unimaginable!!! Even more in these times, the absolute highlight of the week!!!

yep she's been here surviving but it was an adjustment. She didn't enjoy eating the vegan prepared foods beforehand though. She has super vegan powers not regular vegan powers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back