Us Defeat (Who's To Blame?)

Who's to blame for the US defeat?

• Joe (for badmouthing the makers of the best chocolate on earth).

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Joe (for being overconfident about the US team's real skill)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • IG (for not hosting a US game watching expat event)

• Wondolowski for missing the game winning goal before overtime

• Belgium for being a better team

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Klinsmann's horoscope for the day

• Ajoknoblauch for his constant betrayal of his own nation

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
The U.S. can be pretty happy with these results. They got out of the group of death and had a chance to beat a tough team. I thought Klinsmann did well with his formations and handling the personnel, as well as making some very tough calls and substitutes. The US has nothing to be ashamed of. Its basically a program that started from scratch 25 years ago and has only had a domestic league for 15 years. They have fielded a consistently competitive team on the international stage and often over-achieved. They've done better than England in the last two world cups. Hats off to the USA coaches and players, and also to Belgium that played a heck of a game.

Q: Who's to blame for the US defeat?

The only possible answer from someone staying in Argentina is: somebody else!

I, for one, am very happy with our team. Nobody thought we'd get this far (again). In the past US kids were not raised on futbol however that is changing. I recently went to the US and the futbol program has vastly overtaken the American football program. Everyone's little kids were playing in a futbol (soccer) program. We'll just keep getting stronger and more competitive.

Nice job Team USA! And, congrats to Argentina for advancing!

Now that the USA has lost, I'm throwing my support to Argentina and this time, I'm using my head:

10155619_267170176800684_8579253594996593033_n.jpg

I find it interesting how soccer has found its place in the US as the counter culture sport for hipsters and people who normally don't follow sports. It could very possibly be the most popular spectator sport in the Pacific Northwest. I see a bright future for futbol in the US and I think other places are starting to notice.

I find it interesting how soccer has found its place in the US as the counter culture sport for hipsters and people who normally don't follow sports. It could very possibly be the most popular spectator sport in the Pacific Northwest. I see a bright future for futbol in the US and I think other places are starting to notice.

Soccer will never be more than the niche sport it is today.

If that's the case, why do you feel so threatened by it?
In grade school Ajo was so bad at soccer, his coach made him play on the girl's team. Of course the other boys teased him relentlessly - calling him Susie Soccer. Now days a coach would never be allowed to be so demeaning - but back then anything went.

Since then, every time Ajo hears the word soccer he is reminded of this grotesque and cruel humiliation. To this day he refuses to wear pink knee socks.

Years later when the coach was asked how he could sanction such a cruel act, he replied that he had been inspired by the Johnny Cash song A Boy Named Sue:

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean,
My fist got hard and my wits got keen,
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame.
But I made a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars
And kill that man who gave me that awful name.

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.
At an old saloon on a street of mud,
There at a table, dealing stud,
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue."

True Story

If that's the case, why do you feel so threatened by it?

http://baexpats.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/02/us-soccer-world-tv-idUSKBN0F72G220140702

Back