Us Embassy Warns It's Citizens In Argentina

@ Pitipur: "We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Argentina enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)."

Yes, that's what I signed up for but Ive never received any correspondence! Guess Ill try again...thanks!

Yikes or yawn? Just got a letter from the U.S. Embassy warning about the taxi scams, express kidnappings, muggings, moto chorro crimes,entraderos etc occurring in Argentina.....not that this isn't true, but lumping all these things together kinda makes someone think they happen with the same frequency...can't help but wonder if this warning isn't a bit of a political tit for tat after Queen K's anti US tirades....is this a "citizen service"or more politics? Why now?

That's like California sending a warning to citizens that the area is prone to earthquakes.

This is the relevant part:

"The U.S. Embassy wishes to inform U.S. citizens living and traveling in Argentina that in recent months, U.S. citizens have reported a number of crimes to the embassy. Crimes reported include petty crime, taxi scams (especially at international airports), mugging, snatch-and-grab robbery involving motorcycles and bicycles, and occasionally more serious crimes such as express kidnapping, home invasion, carjacking, assault, and sexual assault using date rape drugs. We recommend that U.S. citizens traveling and living in Argentina always be aware of their surroundings, maintain a high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security. Please consult reliable sources for information on transportation, lodging, and the general security of areas you are visiting.

U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. The majority of crimes reported to the Embassy occur in the major metropolitan areas but U.S. citizens should use an equal level of caution outside large population centers. While crimes happen at all times of day and night, they are significantly more frequent after dark.

The Embassy does not have evidence that victims have been targeted because of their U.S. citizenship. If you are the victim of a crime, please report it immediately to the police and inform American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy."

There are currently no official Warnings or Alerts at the State Dept website. This is probably a routine follow-up notice in response to reports by US citizens.

There are currently no official Warnings or Alerts at the State Dept website. This is probably a routine follow-up notice in response to reports by US citizens.

Good point. The US Embassy didn't even bother to update this page: http://argentina.usembassy.gov/warden_messages.html

They've probably been reading Clarin again. Don't they know Clarin miente! The socks don't deceive.

Maybe, but I've never got a "routine follow up" that has been so specific in the years I've been on their mailing list!
I think minimally it reflects an elevation inthe incidence of crimes (duh!).
But maybe a counter to the strong anti U.S. criticism by the ARG govt because we don't control our judicial branch and they want us to "make" Griesa make a certain decision in the default case....I guess the disrespect is for respecting "division of powers" between different governmental branches!

Good point. The US Embassy didn't even bother to update this page: http://argentina.usembassy.gov/warden_messages.html

They've probably been reading Clarin again. Don't they know Clarin miente! The socks don't deceive.
Relax. Or maybe not. I have several friends at the Embassy. They do not react to the Clarin and they do receive allot of info that is not "published". This is not some childish tit for tat with Timmermouse. They take this stuff pretty seriously. They, however, cannot publish a list because Timmermouse gets his panties in knot and calls for heads. So the warning sounds generic. [you really don't know how much sh@@@#t these folks have to eat post Vulture droppings and Griesa]

Relax. Or maybe not. I have several friends at the Embassy. They do not react to the Clarin and they do receive allot of info that is not "published". This is not some childish tit for tat with Timmermouse. They take this stuff pretty seriously. They, however, cannot publish a list because Timmermouse gets his panties in knot and calls for heads. So the warning sounds generic. [you really don't know how much sh@@@#t these folks have to eat post Vulture droppings and Griesa]

You're telling me to relax? Maybe you should have a beer and learn to recognize a joke (granted maybe not a funny one).

I'm aware of how the US Embassy functions, both here and in other countries. I take their warnings with a grain of salt. YMMV.

You're telling me to relax? Maybe you should have a beer and learn to recognize a joke (granted maybe not a funny one).

I'm aware of how the US Embassy functions, both here and in other countries. I take their warnings with a grain of salt. YMMV.
I will send you some instructions on the use of that salt.

Back