Us Embassy Warns It's Citizens In Argentina

Good point. The US Embassy didn't even bother to update this page: http://argentina.usembassy.gov/warden_messages.html

They've probably been reading Clarin again. Don't they know Clarin miente! The socks don't deceive.

I believe they are reacting to an increase in reports of crime reported by US citizens.

Crimes by US citizens?
Surely not...
Surely they don't mean...
Santiago-Vera-300x3001.jpg

Sorry i corrected my oost. Crimes reported by US citizens.

Now they have plastered it all over La Nacion y Clarin. The embassy issues these types of warnings all the time (albeit it not about crime). I really don't think it is that big of a deal. I'm wondering if they realized that it might actually have some kind of political consequence in the media. My guess is no. This shows that opposition newspapers will in fact use almost anything against the current government. But then again, maybe they are justified in doing so.

There's nothing like the truth when also making a political statement. I have little doubt that a number of US citizens have reported crime to the embassy, and I have little doubt that crime is rising here. Cristina likes to lie and exaggerate to her constituency about the US and the court systems and, for example, what the president can do to annul her debt problem; even if it was a tit-for-tat from the State Department, it is based on the truth.

And the US embassies around the world do have an obligation to warn their citizens abroad.

It's official, it was a provocation:

Luego, apuntó contra la Embajada de los Estados Unidos por la carta en la que advirtió a sus ciudadanos por la inseguridad en la Argentina. Para la mandataria, el escrito, al que calificó de "provocación", "parece una cronología de lo que se ve todos los días en los diarios"

"Es una provocación, en la que no voy a caer", agregó, y criticó -sin nombrarlo- al encargado de negocios y embajador interino de los Estados Unidos, Kevin Sullivan, a quien el Gobierno ya había amenazado con echarlo del país por haber hecho declaraciones sobre "política interna". "Seguramente el señor que redactó esto dijo 'ahora la provoco y la hago enojar y me van a echar del país', pero no lo vamos a echar del país", sostuvo.

There's nothing like the truth when also making a political statement.

I strongly doubt the US is trying to make a political statement with this. The warning likely came from the Embassy Regional Security Office (RSO). They aren't in the business of worrying about politics in Argentina. If the US Embassy really wants to cause some upheaval, they probably have some betters tools to do it.

This whole thing was blown out of proportion by the media. Argentine media makes no attempt to report information objectively. It's all done through a political lens. Anything the US says about Argentina nowadays is twisted to become a negative.

Take Infobae's article about the United States and Argentina's debt situation. The headline: The US insists that the Government must come to an agreement "with all of its creditors"

Later, in the same article, it provides the full quote: "Our position continues to be clear. It's in Argentina's best interest to normalize its relationship with all of its creditors."

The headline would make you think that the US was demanding Argentina to fold, which is not accurate. But hey, people only read headlines nowadays, and Infobae, like so many other Argentine outlets, is only interested in scoring political points rather than informing people.

Take Infobae's article about the United States and Argentina's debt situation. The headline: The US insists that the Government must come to an agreement "with all of its creditors"

Later, in the same article, it provides the full quote: "Our position continues to be clear. It's in Argentina's best interest to normalize its relationship with all of its creditors."

The headline would make you think that the US was demanding Argentina to fold, which is not accurate. But hey, people only read headlines nowadays, and Infobae, like so many other Argentine outlets, is only interested in scoring political points rather than informing people.

Perhaps. But headline-writing has limitations that longer form journalism does not.

Perhaps. But headline-writing has limitations that longer form journalism does not.

Are you seriously trying to justify that headline, or are you just bored? Simply by changing "debe" to "debería", you get a whole new meaning.

Back