US Passport Renewal

Hi, Good morning,
I brought my expiring passport, my still current D.L., notarized birth certificate, and of course my social, which like everyone else, I know by heart and didn’t need to show a card or anything They were very professional and on time for the appointment as I said earlier. Was like a dream. What takes time is that after they initially take your documents, they are clearly authenticating them and then copying them while you wait there. No complaints here about the process. Small price to pay for getting it within two weeks. Getting an appointment for the same day service back in the states is a complete game of whack a mole due to the Covid situation… even with two weeks in advance, and proof of a international ticket within three days of the flight , almost impossible to get a emergency in person travel appointment along the Eastern Seaboard… this way is better and less stressful and I highly recommend it….
Excellent report! I also renewed via the Embassy here and after reading about trying to renew stateside I was sceptical when they told me at my appointmnent that it would take 2 weeks. And then it did arrive in exactly 2 weeks! Just to add - that when you pay at the Embassy for the procedure you have the option of paying with a US credit card (you're charged in U$ at the Arg government peso rate) or paying in cash in pesos. By bringing and paying in pesos acquired via WU and paying the Embassy in pesos at the window you essentially cut your application cost by half viz using a credit card.

So
Excellent report! I also renewed via the Embassy here and after reading about trying to renew stateside I was sceptical when they told me at my appointmnent that it would take 2 weeks. And then it did arrive in exactly 2 weeks! Just to add - that when you pay at the Embassy for the procedure you have the option of paying with a US credit card (you're charged in U$ at the Arg government peso rate) or paying in cash in pesos. By bringing and paying in pesos acquired via WU and paying the Embassy in pesos at the window you essentially cut your application cost by half viz using a credit card.
So how much was it?. Both in pesos and U$D?. When did you renew it?.

So

So how much was it?. Both in pesos and U$D?. When did you renew it?.
If I remember correctly, it was close to $60 USD… but you can look on the Embassy website, and there are all the details including what I presume to be, the current passport fee,

Ok so maybe I forgot maybe it wasn’t $60… it was more … I could have sworn it was $60 but my memory has failed me before … apologies for any confusion…
Embassy website it the best resource.

I am not American but I read somewhere that the passport fee went up to 150-160 2 weeks ago.

I need to renew my passport and it seems that by mail is the best/fastest way now? I looked over the instructions and it seems straightforward enough, except I don't quite understand the DHL airway bill. I realize it's the "paid return envelope" part, but how do I request that? Will they know what I'm talking about if I go to the Belgrano office? I assume the passport will be delivered to my door? It says "this office will not forward the DHL passport application to the embassy", which I suppose means I have to send the application documents to the Embassy by Correo Argentino Carta Certificada Plus.

Any advice from anyone who may have gone through this recently would be much appreciated.

I renewed by mail last January. It was a hassle running around to DHL, the post office, making photocopies, getting pictures, and compiling everything correctly. In-person appointment is much easier.

The US embassy is open now for regular appointments to renew passports. Visit the embassy web page to book an appointment: https://ar.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

... I don't quite understand the DHL airway bill. I realize it's the "paid return envelope" part, but how do I request that?
It is not an envelope. It is more like a prepaid printed return label with a barcode and addresses, half-page size. You submit one copy with your paperwork, you keep another one. I believe, I used the word "etiqueta" in the downtown DHL office with a story about the embassy and passport, and they knew what I was talking about.

Last edited:
Back