Using ALLIANT Credit Union to bank from Argentina

Ciro

Registered
In the near future, I am relocating to AR and am looking for a US Bank that will not have any issues with accessing my funds from AR. This includes allowing not having a residential US address, not red-flagging my IP address and allowing two-factor authentication through email, not through SMS messages. I reached out to ALLIANT CREDIT UNION and it appears they meet my needs. Is anyone here who is a customer of ALLIANT and who would be willing to write about their experience with the company? Thank you.

I use Alliant Credit Union as well but I don't do anything from Argentina. So I am not any help there. I have a checking and savings account with them. Do yourself a favor and get a Charles Schwab account. Fee free ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world. I haven't had any issues with them in Argentina. But just get a Skype or Google Fi account for the SMS.

My credit union sends me the 2FA texts to my argentine phone number no problem. Before they started doing that, I was using a Skype number but that often didn't work. At one point I went for months without being able to log in to my credit onion's online banking site.

For any bank or brokerage account provider that requires SMS for banking, it's worth asking if they support app authenticators like Google Authenticator. They are as secure, if not more, than SMS, and means you just need to install a phone/tablet app to use them. E*Trade US, for example, has this option.

I use Alliant Credit Union as well but I don't do anything from Argentina. So I am not any help there. I have a checking and savings account with them. Do yourself a favor and get a Charles Schwab account. Fee free ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world. I haven't had any issues with them in Argentina. But just get a Skype or Google Fi account for the SMS.
Earlyretirement needs to retire...His info and Ideas are not the best. Thinking about Skype for SMS? This idea at least sucks. Banks won't do voip) Google Fi is for the U.S. only...I think. So 2 for 2 stinkers. But the best stinker is to go to Schwab.....Sure Schwab rebates....but Capone 360 never charges in the first place. And the Schwab account is a brokerage account last I knew and who wants that? And Schwab is a stickler for where you are living in the world. (there is a company in the U.S. that will provide a phone number to receive bank messages but not from all banks...look for it as it was interesting, but not from Capitalone.) I hope ER with keep trying though.....I will be watching.

Earlyretirement needs to retire...His info and Ideas are not the best. Thinking about Skype for SMS? This idea at least sucks. Banks won't do voip) Google Fi is for the U.S. only...I think. So 2 for 2 stinkers. But the best stinker is to go to Schwab.....Sure Schwab rebates....but Capone 360 never charges in the first place. And the Schwab account is a brokerage account last I knew and who wants that? And Schwab is a stickler for where you are living in the world. (there is a company in the U.S. that will provide a phone number to receive bank messages but not from all banks...look for it as it was interesting, but not from Capitalone.) I hope ER with keep trying though.....I will be watching.
You've been living under a rock if you've never heard of the Charles Schwab checking account. It's been one off the best banks for travelers and especially ex-pats for many years running. Unlimited ATM rebates worldwide. I literally gets hundreds of dollars every month in value from this.

Caribbean Cool - does your Capone360 give you unlimited worldwide ATM rebates?? I seriously doubt they will rebate all ATM fees WORLDWIDE no matter what they are. Charles Schwab unless you've been living under a rock is the leader in this.

Google Fi several of my Argentine friends have gotten and use. I did have to get it shipped to the USA and I brought it down for them. But I think they must have e-SIM available these days. Many of my local friends have bank accounts in the USA and have to deal with the 2FA and send to Google Fi. Works flawlessly for them and they only pay around $20 per month for the service.

And Capital One also sends to Google Voice for SMS. I get alerts there.

Last edited:

Caribbean Cool: where are you finding Capital One ATMs in Argentina?? and can you send the link to CapOne not having ATM fees in Argentina?

Every bank allows for fee-free ATM withdrawals at their own branches, so not sure what you're trying to claim here.

Schwab is unique (along with USAA for military families) in refunding ATM fees, that much is known.

thanks lunar, so CapitalOne isn't an option versus Schwab. not sure what CaribbeanCool is trying to do here

Back