Using Credit/debit Card

No, if the discounts are for VISA, they are for VISA cards issued in Argentina.

Back in the days when there was very little diffference between offical rate and the blue rate , I used to get the 15% c/c discount in Coto on Fridays . But when the difference widened we started using the Argie credit cards. The small print said we couldnt get the discount but we did.

Thanks all comments, so i think i will pay in Peso after change from blue rate.

Serafina , only 5 or 6 years ago....
It started November 2011 but the difference between blue and official was still not that huge until they started blocking debit cards abroad in Q1 2012 (Argentinian debit cards with accounts in pesos that is).

Check http://dolarblue.net/historico/ for a timeline of the whole cepo madness.

But the restriction on what one could buy here with foreign credit cards began before that, for whatever reason. I never figured out if it was something legal, or bank policy, or what.

I remember when I came here in 2006, I could use my credit/debit cards here to buy time on pay-as-you-go cellphone accounts. I had Movistar at the time. One call, register your card, and you could buy minutes (and get the triple time! if you bought 50 pesos or more, which was a lot of time back then) any time you needed them without going to the kioskos. You could buy things online, like movie tickets.

A couple of years later all that went away. If you didn't have an Argentine credit/debit card, none of that stuff worked any more. I remember even having problems every once in awhile with my foreign cards in some stores, Disco being one that really caused me some problems.

But I was never able to get discounts using my foreign credit/debit cards. The first thing they'd ask me is if it was an Argentine or foreign card and when I told them foreign they'd tell me "sorry".

Back