Using Debit/credit Cards

I've used booking.com for hotels in Argentina, and I was able to pay the hotels directly in cash when checking in (my credit card was only used to guarantee the reservation and was never charged). I bought internal plane tickets in dollars with a US card and found the prices very reasonable (yes, they could have been even lower but the hassle of having someone else buy for you isn't worth it to save $50 per trip in my opinion). I've also bought internal bus tickets in cash pesos directly from Retiro. All this on a tourist visa, of course. On trips outside Argentina (I recommend Chile), you won't have to worry about these silly restrictions.

Chile actually also has different national air fares for residents with a RUT.

You can pay for bus tickets and ferry tickets in Pesos at the same rate as everyone else but you have to do it in person (at the bus station/ferry office) because using a US credit card will mean that you pay in dollars, that's IF you can get the website to work for you in the first place.

If you want to book internal flights at resident's fee in pesos go to a travel agent. I've been to a few who refuse to do it unless you show your resident's number thingy, but many will do it and they all speak good English.

Second related question: does anyone know if you can use a Santander Rio DEBITO card in the USA? It doesn't matter if there's a daily limit, just as long as I can get at the money...

Yea I do know that the popular thing to do is to bring loads of cash I'm too much of a worry wart that I don't feel really comfortable having that at my disposal. I'll be here until TBD, I'm teaching english so however long I can last I guess haha

Hi, this is not pertinent to your question, but I am curious as to what medium found you a job teaching English? I will be arriving in BA in some four or so months and have of course considered teaching as a support to my savings. Your tourist visa last 90 days with an option to renew once; are you hoping things will come together for a longer stay or is six months roughly as long as you intend on being around? I ask because I myself will be contending with the question. Thankye for any reply.

You can pay for bus tickets and ferry tickets in Pesos at the same rate as everyone else but you have to do it in person (at the bus station/ferry office) because using a US credit card will mean that you pay in dollars, that's IF you can get the website to work for you in the first place.

If you want to book internal flights at resident's fee in pesos go to a travel agent. I've been to a few who refuse to do it unless you show your resident's number thingy, but many will do it and they all speak good English.

Second related question: does anyone know if you can use a Santander Rio DEBITO card in the USA? It doesn't matter if there's a daily limit, just as long as I can get at the money...

On 09/10/15 two friends went Personally to the BQB Terminal to buy tickets to Montevideo RT. The Argentinian could pay in pesos, a cheaper price, the American tourist HAD to pay in dollars, he had cash.

On 09/10/15 two friends went Personally to the BQB Terminal to buy tickets to Montevideo RT. The Argentinian could pay in pesos, a cheaper price, the American tourist HAD to pay in dollars, he had cash.

that is good

Back