Using international SMS for 2FA while in Argentina

Rich One

Registered
Yes, you need a USA address, and do not say you live in another country...you are just visiting...but they don't even need to know that. You also need a USA cell phone number and not a VOIP number.... an actual cell number in the USA that you can receive text messages here. I have all these, and it's pretty easy to do them, although it takes some time. There are good USA mailbox companies and good cell companies to do this with and that work fine.
Hi Rob, can you recommend a USA virtual cell phone..? to receive text messages in Argentina, that is reliable and reasonably priced . Thanks

USA virtual cell phone.....nope ....a real cell phone and don't skimp if those messages are your livelihood. I am with ATT...and there easily could be better plans. Mine was supposed to be $35 a month..but is actually double that I guess because I am paying for the phone. Not sure.

Unfortunately, you can't use a virtual (voip) number...it must be a real cell service. Banks and brokerage companies can now tell which are real and which are virtual or voip. I have tried many real services and by far the cheapest and one that actually works with every bank and brokerage and reaches you in Argentina is Mint. It's owned by T-Mobile and costs only $15 a month if you pay $180 for the year.ive used them all over the world for years and use them now.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you can't use a virtual (voip) number...it must be a real cell service. Banks and brokerage companies can now tell which are real and which are virtual or voip. I have tried many real services and by far the cheapest and one that actually works with every bank and brokerage and reaches you in Argentina is Mint. It's owned by T-Mobile and costs only $15 a month if you pay $180 for the year.ive used them all over the world for years and use them now.
Mint...that is interesting. I am not doubting you. 2 years ago it was specifically listed as NOT working with either some of my services or with one of my banks.

Ahhh, well that can happen with any cell service and with some financial institutions...all you have to do is talk to the correct department at the bank and they fix it...as long as it is a real cell service that you have and not virtual of course. I had that happen once a year ago with some bank ..I don't remember which one.

So how does it work ? you go online and buy from Mint a plan and an eSIM ? then hope your phone here is compatible and you have coverage..? The eSIM has to be configured in the US. Or you must be a T-Mobile user.

So how does it work ? you go online and buy from Mint a plan and an eSIM ? then hope your phone here is compatible and you have coverage..? The eSIM has to be configured in the US. Or you must be a T-Mobile user.
Well, I have no idea if esim is available with them...need to go online to mintmobile and look. Otherwise you need to have them send a sim card to your mailbox in the USA and forward it. You do nothing with T-Mobile. Good question about configuration...you'd have to ask them on the phone. They do not care if you are traveling outside the USA. I configured in the USA so don't know

Back