Using international SMS for 2FA while in Argentina

So how does it work ? you go online and buy from Mint a plan and an eSIM ? then hope your phone here is compatible and you have coverage..? The eSIM has to be configured in the US. Or you must be a T-Mobile user.
Rich One, you've been trying for years to find a SIM suitable for bank verification.

Do you still have any contacts in the US? It seems you no longer visit, but could someone there purchase a SIM card, activate it in your name, and then mail it to you?

Perhaps you could invest in a $60 phone with an annual plan, send it to your friend and ask him to actually read validation codes to you via Skype or send you a Whatsapp message. It looks that the more tech-savvy solutions you consider, the less likely they seem to work for you. Maybe it's best to keep it simple.

Rich One, you've been trying for years to find a SIM suitable for bank verification.

Do you still have any contacts in the US? It seems you no longer visit, but could someone there purchase a SIM card, activate it in your name, and then mail it to you?

Perhaps you could invest in a $60 phone with an annual plan, send it to your friend and ask him to actually read validation codes to you via Skype or send you a Whatsapp message. It looks that the more tech-savvy solutions you consider, the less likely they seem to work for you. Maybe it's best to keep it simple.
Yes, it's possible for someone in the USA to get the sim card you order and buy a cheap phone and configure it but maybe better to mail you that phone and you get the texts directly....just a thought.

Yes, it's possible for someone in the USA to get the sim card you order and buy a cheap phone and configure it but maybe better to mail you that phone and you get the texts directly....just a thought.
"mail you that phone" implies dealing with customs here. However, an activated SIM card is likely to pass through using standard mail without issues. It's not much different from mailing a credit card that has a chip.

Yes, of course...the person could just use their phone to activate then send you the sim card.

Ahhh, well that can happen with any cell service and with some financial institutions...all you have to do is talk to the correct department at the bank and they fix it...as long as it is a real cell service that you have and not virtual of course. I had that happen once a year ago with some bank ..I don't remember which one.
Saying Mint is the same as saying T-Mobile as they use their network. I have Mint and it works great and it is cheaper.

"mail you that phone" implies dealing with customs here. However, an activated SIM card is likely to pass through using standard mail without issues. It's not much different from mailing a credit card that has a chip.
Lunar tks for your advice. Will do what you suggest, have an activated SIM card sent down here to Argentina. Any suggestions for a recommended SIM card.!

Lunar tks for your advice. Will do what you suggest, have an activated SIM card sent down here to Argentina. Any suggestions for a recommended SIM card.!

The data keeps changing. With any solution proposed, some say it works, others don't. There's a lot of mixed information. I haven't tried it myself; I manage to go by with Google Voice these days.

Saying that, I've checked the specialized forums and Reddit once again. It seems that Tello is the new darling on the block.

It appears that

You can sign up for their $5/mo No data / 100 minutes plan.
You can do it from abroad with eSIM (so, no SIM card shipping).

They do not offer roaming, so the phone doesn't actually connect to a cell tower when abroad. However, they do provide Wi-Fi Calling, meaning you need to be connected to the internet to send or receive SMS. It looks like this feature can be turned on and off in the settings.

I see people saying that their phone number works for 2FA, while Google Voice doesn't.

Their representative says directly that their plan can be used to receive SMS from abroad (2FA included).

It might be worth trying. Perhaps you could test it and then report back here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back