Usuaia vs. El Calafate??

smflaher

Registered
HELP!!

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Patagonia in March. We have about 7 days total to travel and are torn between Usuaia and El Calafate(combined with either Pueto Natales/Torres del Paine OR El Chaleten). Wondering if there will be enough stuff in Usuaia to keep us entertained for a week (we would do Tierra del fuego/beagle channel etc.? Also wondering if we chose El Calafate if it would be too much bus travel if we decided to pair it with Puerto Natales of El Chaleten (which would be better?!).... Can anyone make a recommendation for us? We are terrible at pulling the trigger! Thanks!

This is a no brainer. We were just in both places, and while Ushuaia is beautiful, Calafate is more interesting on the margin. Seeing the glaciers are mind boggling. I would spend 2-3 days in Calafate and the remainder in Chalten trekking. 7 days is way too long for Ushuaia.

there is plenty to do in ushuaia, going to the lakes nearby, a very long walk around the Parque Nacional, dont forget to visit the 'prison at the end of the world'!
but if you have little time, go to Calafate (dont miss the cruise that goes to 7 different glaciers, it takes all day) and do the minitrekking in the glacier P. Moreno. but theres not much more there,. El chalten is down the road. maybe you can spend 2 days in each place and finish in chalten/torres del paine.
enough time to do it all, you must buy an air tkt Buenos Aires, Ushuaia, Calafate, then bus to Chalten and back to Calafate to do the last leg to BA. safe journey!

we once did el calafate and el chalten (50/50) in a week, it was unforgettable. i highly recommend it.

el calafate for sure! i have been to both and i was more excited about ushuaia initially, but then i went and really liked el calafate better :)

have fun!

El Calafate and El Chaltern. Extremely easy to travel between them. Apart from the glacier, El Calafate is a tad boring. El Chaltern is amazing. It is so easy to hike and the landscape is beautiful.

Back