V P N

khairyexpat

Registered
Please cut me lots of slack for asking technically challenged questions at my old age (18 years behind the curb since I retired).

Since Thursday, been trying to down load TD CanadaTrust mobile app (banking anytime anywhere it says) .
Been on the phone constantly, Clearing one hurdle after another.
The last supervisor assured me that the only final step left is to go through a VPN to mimic my IP as if I were in Toronto.

How to accomplish this?
Is there a software ?
Or hardware ?
Or service subscription ?
Or ....

Thanks a lot in advance !!!!!!!
I owe you one.

With VPN, you connect to a remote computer and your Internet traffic appears to go through the local network of the remote computer.

Though I think you do not need a VPN, but a proxy service. The person who spoke to you probably does not know the difference.

A VPN is for organisations to expose their internal network to the Internet in a secure way. You do not need to be on the bank's internal company network.

A proxy hides your Internet address and replaces it with the Internet address of the proxy. You would need a proxy service in Toronto (or Canada?).

Are VPNs really secure? I have one called HMA. My question is: is this safe for doing online banking, paying bills etc? When I travel I don't trust hotel internet but am I truly safe with a VPN?

Are VPNs really secure? I have one called HMA. My question is: is this safe for doing online banking, paying bills etc? When I travel I don't trust hotel internet but am I truly safe with a VPN?

@sergio
Thank you very much for replying.

I ONLY want to download TD APP to use it urgently.
For some weird reason I suddenly received Canadian cheques (approx. $10,000 CAD) by post mail and been searching and phoning for almost 3 months HOW TO DEPOSIT OR CASH them. (All my finances are normally set for direct deposit back home)

By accident I found that TD can deposit a cheque online with their TD app, .... but so far I can NOT download it.

Any help much appreciated.
Please explain to me what and how you are using HMA, if it can help me !!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any Argentine or Uruguay Bank that can cash CAD cheques?

Any other suggestions ?

@toongeorges

Please elaborate more.
I`m a layman .... totally out of it for decades.

Appreciate your time and help.

Any other suggestions ?

Not sure it will help you, since you need the technical skills. Though if you know what to do, it is easy.

Hire a server in Canada and create a SSH tunnel to it with port forwarding. For the Internet it would look like you are browsing from the server in Canada.

If you use windows, you would need a program like putty. If you use macOS or Linux, it suffices to open a console window. Android and iOS need an app.

The command you have to enter looks like:

ssh -L 443:bankserver.com:443 [email protected]

With the SSH tunnel open, you can browse to https://localhost, which will be redirected through yourserver.com to bankserver.com. bankserver.com will think the request comes from yourserver.com

For some weird reason I suddenly received Canadian cheques (approx. $10,000 CAD) by post mail and been searching and phoning for almost 3 months HOW TO DEPOSIT OR CASH them. (All my finances are normally set for direct deposit back home)

Usually bank mobile app allow for mobile deposit of checks but only under a certain amount (mine is USD 1,000). Have you checked with your bank if you could deposit a such large amount through their mobile app, before all the fuss of setting up a proxy?

The other way would be to sign & mail the check to your bank.

It amazes me how up north they are still stuck with paper checks! And they have no will to change that!

@sergio
Thank you very much for replying.

By accident I found that TD can deposit a cheque online with their TD app, .... but so far I can NOT download it.

Any help much appreciated.
Please explain to me what and how you are using HMA, if it can help me !!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any Argentine or Uruguay Bank that can cash CAD cheques?

Any other suggestions ?

Maybe check with Cambio Gales in Montevideo. They could have a solution.

Back