Vacations: Labor Law in Argentina

wstevens

Registered
So as I understand in Argentina they have what they call "vacaciones corridas".
I'm entitled to 15 days of vacation, but I'm still trying to understand what these vacaciones corridas imply. What does it mean?
Also, does it mean that I need to take 15 days straight of vacation or can I still divide my vacation months into several months?

Also if they can indeed be divided and I take only 5 vacation days on 1 year, can I carry the other 10 days to the next year?:cool:

Thank you!!!!

I'm not an expert, just an employee, but AFAIK it is like this:

You can take weeks (or at least at my job we can) but not DAYS. It is not like PTO were you can take a day in Feb then 2 days in March, etc. You can split the weeks, but you take the whole week, and that includes any holidays in it.

I.E. you take a week off and you got a national holiday on Wednesday that week, but you don't get an extra day for that.

No, you can't carry your days on to the next year. In my experience if you didn't take it you loose it (or get paid for those days, this was actually offered to me by one of my employers).

Then again I know exceptions, for instance my wife managed to talk her boss once into getting less than a week.

Oh, and also. Some companies here have timeframes for vacations. For instance I worked at 2 different companies where you could take vacations only on Jan, Feb and Mar. I know because I wanted to take July to go to the mountains and I couldn't :/

Culturally, they see vacations as a time to relax, not answer email, and recharge batteries.
There are many ways to get off from work to do something necessary: you get two days for a move, up to 14 days per year to study for a university test, time for a wedding and honeymoon, etc
if you work 6 months and don´t take vacaction, they must pay you for the vacation days you earned in that time that you didn´t take (i had a 6 month contract and two months after it was up they called me to pick up a check for the 5 vacation days earned. sweet!)

keep in mind that those 15 days you were given most likely included weekends too. so it's not 15 working days, it's 15 calender day. check with your hr people.

It is 14 calendar days and you have a right to take them together and during summer. The company can also obligate you to take them during a certain period (as long as it is during summer) by sending you an official notification. This is based on the Ley de Contrato de Trabajo, which is the basic law that applies to everybody.

Then you might have certain other rights depending on your union contract.

14 days ! Im glad I dont work !

Sounds like something from the victorian age.

Wellllllll... there is that 14 days of vacation (to start) - it goes up based on time worked. Plus your 14 feriados. Plus your unlimited sick days. Plus your study days if you are in school.

Employees here aren't exactly worked to the bone ;)

wait a minute...
unlimited sick days?
does this apply to everyone?

I think there is a limit if you are sick for more than a time period of three or six months (someone know the amount?) or if your sickness will prevent you from performing the work required by the job (you loose your legs and your job involves walking, etc). There might be compensation involved--not sure. If you have a doctor´s note you don´t have to go to work, and once your doctor says you are good to go back to work you go back. Of course, your employer has the right to send you to the doctor of their choosing or send a doctor to your house.

Back