Various Summer (And Winter) Beach Destinations For Porteños

The trips to south Brazil in summer (Florianopolis, camberiu, etc) from Argentina started in the 90s, not before. In that time, Brazil, (and the world) was extremely cheap, since we had the 1 peso=1 dollar. After the 2001 crisis Brazil had made a bunch of loyal tourists, mostly upper media class, that started going every year, instead of going to Punta or Pinamar. Thats the south.
To the north of Brazil, like Porto Seguro, Buzios, etc, that is a lot more exclusive trip, the air fare is expensive (much more close to Miamis prices) and people who goes there do it in a stravagant more spender way.

So the Argentinian tourism to Brazil is basically a very new phenomenon.

The trips to south Brazil in summer (Florianopolis, camberiu, etc) from Argentina started in the 90s, not before. In that time, Brazil, (and the world) was extremely cheap, since we had the 1 peso=1 dollar.

So you see, that comes to show you that if Argentina and Uruguay were developed countries and thus had currencies as valuable as the US dollar or euro or whatever, and Argentina and Uruguay never had financial depressions in the past few decades the way they had in real life, Brazil would pretty much always be cheaper than Argentina and Uruguay and would therefore be quite a popular destination for Argentines and Uruguayans! Simple as that. The same way that Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean islands have always been cheaper than the US/Canada and have been popular destinations for those from the US/Canada!

So you see, that comes to show you that if Argentina and Uruguay were developed countries and thus had currencies as valuable as the US dollar or euro or whatever, and Argentina and Uruguay never had financial depressions in the past few decades the way they had in real life, Brazil would pretty much always be cheaper than Argentina and Uruguay and would therefore be quite a popular destination for Argentines and Uruguayans! Simple as that. The same way that Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean islands have always been cheaper than the US/Canada and have been popular destinations for those from the US/Canada!

Why would or should Brazil always be cheaper? Why wouldn´t the biggest country in the region with the most resources in terms of human capital and abundant natural resources have parity or much more in terms of purchasing power and relative currency strength?

About 20 years ago or so Brazil had a terrible fame on being dangerous, much more dangerous than Argentina or Uruguay. In fact, Arg & Uru have a lot better social situation than Brazil, they are, generally speaking, much more safe for tourism, etc. Brazil also had very little infraestructure to support tourism. That have changed I m afraid.
Brazil unlike Arg & Uru has a lot of population. Its a big country, but they have a lot more density than the Rio de la Plata area, and a lot of that people used to be poor. This have been changing in the past 20 years so thats why Brazil as a tourism attraction is totally new. Besides, Arg & Uru also have nice beaches, and without "morros" that could be a problem if you dont like that rounded hills you have in Brazil beaches.

I don't see the advantage of beaches in southern Brazil compared to those in Argentina and Uruguay (in high season, that is). A lot of Argentines tell me they are not interested in going to Chile because the landscape is often so similar. I understand why someone would want to go to Miami instead. Northern Brazil has a similar climate but it isn't so safe. Camberiu like won't agree with this post but apart from cultural attractions I don't see the advantage of going to Brazil, especially for the common herd.

I'm sure that Buzios and other destinations in Brazil would be cheap, though, for Americans, Canadians, Brits, and others with more strongly valued currencies, right?

Brazil is very expensive for everyone - even though it has weakened slightly since last year the Real is still strong and it doesnt really matter what curreny you have , it is not great value

About 20 years ago or so Brazil had a terrible fame on being dangerous, much more dangerous than Argentina or Uruguay. In fact, Arg & Uru have a lot better social situation than Brazil, they are, generally speaking, much more safe for tourism, etc.

Mexico has had the reputation of being a much more dangerous country than the US and Canada, but that hasn't stopped hordes of American and Canadian tourists from going to Mexico!

I don't see the advantage of beaches in southern Brazil compared to those in Argentina and Uruguay (in high season, that is). A lot of Argentines tell me they are not interested in going to Chile because the landscape is often so similar. I understand why someone would want to go to Miami instead. Northern Brazil has a similar climate but it isn't so safe. Camberiu like won't agree with this post but apart from cultural attractions I don't see the advantage of going to Brazil, especially for the common herd.

The way I see it, if Argentina and Uruguay were more stable financially and Brazil weren't so expensive, sunseekers in the summer would be coming to the beaches in their own countries as well as in the south of Brazil (as in real life), and in the winter, "snowbirds" from Buenos Aires/Montevideo would go to the Santa Catarina coast (as it would be good for golf, tennis, and similar activities though not to swim by the beach or have a tan due to the weather not being warm enough - cf. the Costa del Sol/Algarve relative to the British Isles and northern Europe) and sunseekers would go to the beaches of Rio, Salvador, Natal, Fortaleza, etc.

Mexico has had the reputation of being a much more dangerous country than the US and Canada, but that hasn't stopped hordes of American and Canadian tourists from going to Mexico!

I vacationed in Mexico for many years, often several times a year and never had a problem. The threat was mainly from those poor and desperate people of Mexico. But the other Mexicans were very aware that tourists were important to their economy and treated us very well and cared for our safety.
The hotels always had excellent security. Beaches were patrolled by armed guards. Many police were present on the streets. and were serious about protecting us.
Of course, like any other tourist destinations, there were lowlifes ready to take advantage of a careless tourist on a dark street. My family and I were careful to stay in busy areas and we never had a problem or even saw a crime (unlike our unfortunate experiences in France, Russia and Brazil).
In the last few years the drug trade has corrupted Mexican society and many areas are no longer safe. The police and courts no longer protect citizens and tourists. In fact the police commit many of the crimes against tourists. Mexican citizens often fear retribution so much that they wont aid a tourist facing a criminal. This is especially true along the drug trafic corridors.
I was in Yucatan (near Cancun, the Maya area) several years ago and members of my family were there this year. In both cases we felt really safe.

Back