Very Good Article - Democracy & Peronism For Beginners

Do you guys ask to yourselves why is it that Peronism is so popular? or you just think the majority of the society is blind, sick, or just dont know a squat of politics and what is good for them?

Even if PRO won the presidency, the Peronistas would bring them down.

If the PRO won the presidency they would already be Peronistas. In fact I think we will see them take this path (what we could call the Ritondo method) as we approach 2015 to complement the nascent Barba method of banalisation and celebrity candidates.

Can someone define peronista?

It is very hard and lots of political scientists and socioligists still have difficulties with the category peronismo, or populismo (when we talk of Cardenas, Vargas and Peron).

Still, there is a lot of nationalism, social inclussion, protectionism, the defend of the internal market, huge social spend, inflation (produced from the masses with money) a lot of demagogia too and authoritarism, which is necessary in part due the huge obstacles you have to fight...
In Argentina, after Peron was knock down and Plaza de Mayo bombed by the air force, Peronism was prohibited, by force, and the elections were totally under control of the militars. So there were 2 more coups besides the 55 just to make clear that the militars ruled the country. Who was the enemy of the unconstitutional and antidemocratic militars? of course, peronism. Everybody knew that if we had a democracy Peron would have won. So they used the force.
Undder that 20 years of prohibition of peronismo, where the elections was ridiculous, the country started to demand the return of the leader. And when the militars couldnt manage anymore this strong demand, peron won, in 1973, by 64% (I cant remember the number exactly but was more than 60 and below 70). Then Peronismo divided into two halves, the right with the union leaders, named la burocracia sindical, and the left with the juventud peronista and guerrilla. The right created the AAA and chased and killed and the left.

Peronismo basically stands for the defense of internal market, of having the more populous sectors with rights,with money. On the other hand, oposed models to this one are the agro-export economy, just produce for the international market, and dont care of the internal market. In general, while peronismo, poverty and unemployment is low, with a good gini, and with the other model, a oriented economy to the international market, unemployment and poverty grow spectacularly.
Examples of peronismo model: Peron, Frondizi, Illia, Campora-Peron, Alfonsin, Kirchner
Examples of agro export economy: Militars 1955, militars 1963, militars 1966, militars 1976, Menem.

Matias, isn't that just one facet of Peronism that you call attention to? I mean there's also the Peronism of violent anti-communism, present in the '40s and '50s and coming to a tragically absurd head with the AAA.

One of the things that takes my breath away about Peronism is that it seems to have deprived Argentina of anything like a real conversation between right and left. From the '40s, Peronism has managed to co-opt both right-wing fears about communism and working-class fears about the upper class.

Examples of peronismo model: Peron, Frondizi, Illia, Campora-Peron, Alfonsin, Kirchner
Examples of agro export economy: Militars 1955, militars 1963, militars 1966, militars 1976, Menem.

I didn't know the history of Argentina started circa 1945...

Matias, isn't that just one facet of Peronism that you call attention to? I mean there's also the Peronism of violent anti-communism, present in the '40s and '50s and coming to a tragically absurd head with the AAA.

One of the things that takes my breath away about Peronism is that it seems to have deprived Argentina of anything like a real conversation between right and left. From the '40s, Peronism has managed to co-opt both right-wing fears about communism and working-class fears about the upper class.

during its time, peronimso was very criticized from the left because it supposed to take people from the left who could have done the revolution, and from the right because it was massively against the oligarchy and demagogic. No one liked it at first, only the people. That began to change in the 60s when from the left they started to see Peron as the leader who could command the revolution. Thats why the JP liked him. The JP were the sons of the frightened middle class people who dislike him in the 40s.

Back