Vintage Vehicle Laws In Buenos Aires

Hi Nicholas,

I am Canadian professional and have been living here in the region for the past 18 years, on an off. I just finished the legwork on the export/import of a classic car, 1962 Mercedes Benz 220 SE, for a client in Chile, and I can tell you from my own experience and information, the key will be your customs broker.

If I were you, I would ask your lawyer to speak to the clients they say they have done the import for because Argentine Customs (La Aduana) is an animal all unto itself. The only people who know how to conduct this type of operation are those that do it for a living on a regular basis because the regulations change on a frequent basis, and the contacts that one has at Customs are fundamental to avoiding delays and other "monkey business". In my experience, these people are Customs Brokers, agents and/or importers. It is not a legal transaction, rather an administrative one which as you said, requires the patience of Mother Theresa.

If you want to speak to me, send me a PM and I would be happy to fill you in on whatever I can that may be helpful.

Back