Visa advice: I want my Argentine friend to come visit me in the USA!

Can she demonstrate how she's going to finance her trip? A friend of mine got grilled at JFK Immigration on that point, since she (like many Argentines) doesn't keep her money in a bank and therefore had no statements to show. If she'll be staying with you, and/or you'll be covering her travel expenses, you should probably include that in your letter of support. Unless she comes from a wealthy family... the young, single women I know that have received visas were either traveling with their parents, or could prove that they could and would be covering the costs.

I-94 is a later worry. However, JFK is the easiest way to get into the USA and Miami the worst.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
I disagree with gauchobob. I paid a paralegal specilized in US visas. He trained me for the interview. The 2 persons just before me made all the mistakes this paralegal told me about. They were rejected, I was approved in 30 seconds no papers shown. They gave me multiple entrance 10 years visa. And I received twice 6 months I-94.

He also explained me how should I deal with the immigration officers at the airport. After being 6 months in the US I went to Europe for 31 days. When I came back to the US, the immigration agent asked me about how long I was planning to be this time, I said, that´s up to you. He was surprised because of my honesty. I explained my situation and he gave me another 6 months. They hate when they feel you try to cheat them.

I didn't lie but it is important to say the true in the way they want to hear it: show ties, be confident, don't talk too much. The less you talk, better for you.
Regards

I think that there is some good advice here.

Ideally you have a car, job, & property here in Argentina that shows that you are tied down here. But if you don't, I think that Bajo's advice should be taken to heart.

There is nothing illegally or shameful about wanting to go to your friend's wedding, so the interview should be approached with a confident manner.

(Of course, having a law degree in Argentina doesn't hurt either. :) )

Try to get the expert training mentioned by bajo_cero2. The questions asked by immigration officers have ulterior motives that it is not possible to guess using common sense, goodwill and honesty. Combine this with the cultural assumptions behind questions, and your have a recipe for misunderstanding. Immigration officers are in part making a judgement call when they grant a visa.

also remember that they ask the same question five times over in subtly different ways to make sure they're getting a straight story -- so best to have your story down and not get tripped up at all..

curtie01 said:
Hi, thanks for the comments - my friend does have a bachelors degree, she has previously visited the USA as a tourist and returned to Argentina, so perhaps that track record will help her.
It sounds like the best thing I can do for her is to send her an invitation and write a letter (addressed to her? or addressed directly to the embassy?) stating that she's a close personal friend and I hope she can come to my wedding! I'd absolutely welcome any other thoughts or suggestions about anything I could possibly do to help her case. (We are definitely planning to be honest and up-front, as there's nothing to hide! definitely not planning to lie about anything!)

What ever you provide her with can't hurt. A big plus for her is she has been there before and returned. The whole deal is that the person granting the visa needs to feel comfortable that the person they are granting the visa to is really going to be a tourist and not somebody who plans on overstaying the visa. I have many in-laws that have visas and travel to the U.S. regularly, the only one that can't get a visa is someone who had a DWI while attending college in the states(yes they check fairly closely).

Back