Visiting BA

NYQueens

Registered
Happy New Year,

My daughter and I are getting ready to spend 2 months in BA (July and August) I have a working knowledge of spanish and my daughter (9) does not. I am looking to really expand my spanish and get my daughter to understand and speak spanish ( I know 2 months is not a long time) We will be in the Recoleta area. Any suggestions??

Thank you!

Welcome to BA.

2 month is not a short time. The weather will be cold. Since you have a kid, it's
good that you will be staying in Recoleta.

Go to google images and search on.... spanish english picture book ...and you will get loads of story and book suggestions to share with your daughter at bedtime or whenever you normally share reading time together. Do you have a TV? (I don't - which is why I ask) so on TV or through the internet, share some Spanish language movies or shows. I'm emphasising the sharing because it's good for both of you. She will learn better: you will remember better. When you come to BsAs who knows? You might both be ready to share the same learning experiences by then.

Thank you both for your quick reply! I really do appreciate the feedback.. Elhombresinnombre: I do not have a TV.. I think I'm the only one in my area that does not (it's hard enough to get her to do her normal chores without battling the shows) but I usually get my fix through the internet so that's a great idea. I've been down to BA last year and absolutely loved it. Do you think I should look into a school/tutor?? Even for me?? Again thank you for any suggestions.

:D

there is a lot you can learn about the lenguage in 2 months. about the weather july is winter here but people from canada and some parts of the states don´t consider it actually cold. in buenos aires the temp in winter is above 0° centigrade 99% of the days, water fountains don´t freeze, if you leave a bucket of water outside at night it will still be water the next morning. in the afternoon temp goes up to 14/18° celsius.

hello,

we put our kids in a great bilingual school in barrio norte, called Rio de la plata. you should look into it the director and all the staff are very welcoming of new students and short duration students. you can find them on the internet. they are no anchorena st. near Beruti.

the best way for you daughter to learn spanish is to have local ba friends and rio de la plata is a great school for this with a great community of parents.

good luck.
shayla

I know a great Spanish teacher. His name is Carlos. Very professional, with more than 20 yrs experience. :)
He'll start by teaching words that are similar in English and Spanish to build up vocabulary. This tool is especially good when you are just beginning to learn Spanish. It will allow you to learn hundreds of words quickly, with little or no effort. The name of this tip is cognates -- Spanish words that are spelled like the English counterpart. There is an abundance of cognates when learning Spanish and it jump-starts your learning process when you take advantage of them. Coffee is café, sofa is sofa, fruit is fruta, etc. By focusing on cognates with these materials early on in the learning process, it is easy to add hundreds, even thousands of words to your vocabulary very quickly. It works wonders. I think you should really try him. Drop him a line, and let him explain it to you. This is his email:
[email protected]

From my experience, I think it really depends on the kid. My older child, who is almost seven, was really struggling with language after four months in a bilingual school. However, a really outgoing and confident kid would likely know much more.

For many kids, two months might be a point at which they're feeling fairly frustrated... And the older the kid, the more complex language they need to function in school. You might want to consider combining 1/2 day of school (so she meets other kids - the kids we've encountered are fantastic and very welcoming) with some one-on-one tutoring, if that's possible.

Thank you so much everyone! I think that idea of putting her in a half day and then getting someone for the rest of the day to reinforce it would be great.. I will start looking into that possibility...

Back