Visiting Buenos Aires Next Week

Rickjoe

Registered
Last time I was in Buenos Aires was almost 2 years ago. I coming back this time just as a visitor, so I do appreciate some info about prices in restaurants, taxis, and places to go for drinks. An Argentinean friend told me Kansas in Palermo now is very expensive, around AR$600 per person?? it is so expensive now? I used to go to Bella Italia on Republica Arabe Siria St in Palermo, also I do like Sotto Voce.
Also, how much cost a taxi from Palermo to downtown? Thanks.

600 pesos for Kansas is way off - also, if you are here on vacations, do you really want to go to Kansas and getting food you have back home? ;)
Taxi from Palermo to Downtown depends on time/traffic and from where/to where, I'd guess about 70-80 pesos.
In general, yes prices increased a lot in the last two years but it's still inexpensive if you live from US$.

Prices are up but I don't think that proportionately speaking based on the blue rate it's so bad. A nice meal can be 300-600 pp depending on many things. The taxi you mentioned, maybe 80.

$600 could be accurate if you order a main course, an expensive appetizer plus dessert and a reasonable wine $100 a bottle, plus tips , now if you ride to Kansas in a cab from downtown you would be close to that money : On the other hand $300 is like a floor price.

A taxi from Belgrano to Plaza Italia was 75 pesos the other night around 2 a.m. Dinner for two at Don Julio (the famous, touristy parrilla) was 550ish with two starters, one bife de chorizo and mid-rage bottle of wine. For about the same amount if not a bit less you can get a starter, two mains, two desserts and a decent bottle of wine at Las Pizarras. Lunch for two at a great and packed bodegón in Monserrat came to around 80. Two milanesas a la napolitana with sides, a water and a 3/4 liter Quilmes. In neighborhoods like Palermo a dozen empanadas runs around 100 pesos.

It depends on what you eat and where, really. The real sticker shock comes when you go to the chino to buy basics for the first time in a while, IMO...

Went to Bella Italia (on Segui) a few nights ago. Three people, light dinner, decent (not great) bottle of wine, ARS 756.

Went to Bella Italia (on Segui) a few nights ago. Three people, light dinner, decent (not great) bottle of wine, ARS 756.

That's the parrilla, you mean? The restaurant is around the corner on Árabe Siria and the cafe (an excellent value) also on Árabe Siria, in the other direction (my apartment's on Árabe Siria near the corner of Cerviño).

If you fill one of your suitcases with maple syrup and iPads, the trip will pay for itself.

A taxi from Belgrano to Plaza Italia was 75 pesos the other night around 2 a.m. .

WOW! When I lived near Alto Palermo I never paid more than 10 pesos for a taxi to Caballito and I remember the first time I paid more than 10 pesos for a taxi from Recoltea (Aranales y Junin) to San Telmo (Defensa y Estados Unidos), but the driver clearly took the "long" way. The fare was 12 pesos.

That makes a taxi ride far more expensive today (about double the price in dollars) than in 2006-2008.

That's the parrilla, you mean? The restaurant is around the corner on Árabe Siria and the cafe (an excellent value) also on Árabe Siria, in the other direction (my apartment's on Árabe Siria near the corner of Cerviño).

No it is not the parrilla but a nice italian restaurant, actually the exactly address is República Árabe Siria 3285. Here is the link http://www.bellaitalia-gourmet.com.ar/
There is more than one, check the one that is an old house.

Back