Visiting from Florida

isthisjohn

Registered
Hello everyone, just a quick note of introduction. My wife and I are scheduled to be in BA on November the 8th for a week. Everything we hear and read indicates we should enjoy ourselves but we feel it's always good to find out as much as we can before we arrive.
It has been suggested we would enjoy San Telmo as an area to stay because of our love of museums, art, galleries and just a little of something not so mainstream. Any thoughts or suggestions of places to stay would be appreciated.
Hope to chat soon, John and Lisa
John - born in North Wales moved to Florida via Boston in 93
Lisa - born in Pennsylvania (Bucks County)also moved to the Tampa Bay area in 93

Dear John and Lisa,

I recommend you to stay in Recoleta or Palermo neighborhoods. There also have the things you are interested in, but are safer than San Telmo (I have had two bad incidents there during night the past months - nothing to be worried about though). Besides, Bs As is a big city, but the distances between the tourist places are short.

Regards,
Clari

No, stay in Palermo. San Telmo has a more "genuine" feel, nice cafes, a great market, a few good restaurants (La Brigada, Cafe San Juan) and is close to La Boca to see the ProArte space and the phenomenal museum of Benito Quinquela Martin (my favorite artist), but fewer hotel or apartment options. Palermo has much more choice, is always open, and close to the major galleries, Recoleta is also full of culture and amazing architecture but flagging a bit on the bar restaurant scene.

Hi there are a bunch of good options depending on how you want to travel, there is a great boutique hotel right on defensa next to plaza derrego in san telmo, Ithink its called TELMO, cabs are cheap for moving about at night and its a beautiful city to cruise at night. More upscale is beunos aires design suites at around 1800 for a suite or 1300 for a hotel room that´s aussie dollars for 2 people for a week or around 128aussie each per night from 5-12thnov. V upmarket is Philipe stark designed Faena hotel and universe (you can get a nice cuppa for 25 pesos) if you dont stay its still worth a visit when you wander through puerto madero (next to san telmo barrio) If you want the other end of the spectrum on humberto primo there is a place you can stay 55pesos a night, possibly the cheapest "hotel" in town. If you want more help just holler send me a private message via mail details on my site http://bit.ly/herecut Have a fun stay!

We had very good luck renting for a few weeks from this company, which has rentals in most neighborhoods: http://www.bytargentina.com/

We stayed here in Palermo Hollywood, which was a great neighborhood and only a few minutes walking distance from the subte (subway), which connects you with everywhere else.

The apartment was much less expensive than a hotel, and was very close to one of the best pizza restaurants in the city:
http://www.google.com/search?aq=1&o...me&ie=UTF-8&q=siamo+nel+forno+in+buenos+aires

Enjoy your stay

Patrick

Museums in San Telmo? There is an art gallery in La Boca (mentioned in another post) but the important museums are in Puerto Madero, Recoleta, Palermo. Art museums: Colecion Fortabat in Puerto Madero, Museum of Fine Arts, Recoleta, MALBA in Palermo, Museum of Decorate Arts, Recoleta. San Telmo is not very safe.

After one year of lurking on this web site, this is the post that prompted me create an account. Please don't change your plans because a few people on this site have had bad experiences in San Telmo. The ones who are scared of the neighborhood don't live here. I have a friend who was robbed three times in one month, and guess where? Las Cañitas, Palermo Soho, and Las Cañitas again. It can happen anywhere. Don't walk around with a camera dangling on your wrist, walk like you know where you're going, and since you are only here for a week you will probably be fine, just like all the other tourists who leave loving it here.

In my opinion, San Telmo is the ideal neighborhood for a short-term stay. I live here. Walk to the Casa Rosada and other historical buildings near the microcentro? Check. Feria San Telmo on Sundays? Check. Short cab ride to La Boca to see El Caminito and the Proa, the modern art museum? Check. (Just leave before dark). Museum of Modern Art on San Juan between Defensa and Balcarce? Check. Delicious dining options? La Brigada is one of the best parrillas in the city. Territorio on Estados Unidos y Bolívar has great sandwiches and picadas--huge portions for a good price. Cafe San Juan is all the rage--make a reservation. El Baqueano has a great tasting menu with exotic Argentine meats. Shopping? San Telmo has great antique stores, funky boutiques and a great indoor market with antique vendors, great fruit and veg stalls and various butchers open every day of the week. It's a great place to take pictures. Nightlife? There's bar on every other block.

Puerto Madero and the reserva ecológica are walking distance, if you'd like some luxury and/or nature. Biking through the reserva has been on my list for years, and there is a bicycle rental place called La Bicicleta Naranja that will set you up. Eat a choripán on the Costanera Sur. Bellas Artes and MALBA museums are not far by taxi. Neither is Recoleta--the cemetery and a nice stroll are highly recommended.

Not sure how old you are, but my parents are both 60+ and loved staying in San Telmo. So did a lot of their friends, who also chose to stay in the neighborhood. I would recommend Hotel Babel, a boutique hotel on Balcarce between Estados Unidos and Carlos Calvo. It's on a beautiful, quiet, cobblestone street. Stay in Palermo if you want to go out until 6 in the morning and eat American-style brunch when you're hungover. Stay in Recoleta if you want upscale elegance. Stay in San Telmo for everything else.

Please don't stay in San Telmo. I live near there and it's getting dodgy these days. I've seen 2 guns in the last 2 years, plus loads of scams...Palermo, recoleta or barrio norte are better options for a memorable stay. And only use taxis you have called yourself, I use taxi premium http://www.taxipremium.com/

I've been here for 2 years. Never had any more problems with taxis hailed from the street than ones I've called. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think its more likely that this taxi calling is just a bunch of paranoid crapola.

I lived in San Telmo for a year and I loved it. It is dangerous in some areas, this is true. But the Hotel Babel the previous poster recommended isn't in a bad area and it does look very nice!
You just have to be careful, just like anywhere.

Back