Visiting my brother in BA for three weeks, looking for expert advice!

tinuvi

Registered
Greetings all,

My little brother's been living in BA for over a year now (from the US) and in February my father, my sweetie, my daughter and myself are coming down for an all-too-short visit.

I peppered my brother with questions, and he recommended that I take some of my questions to this seasoned group. I hope that's appropriate since I'm not technically an expat. Anyway, here goes (thanks in advance!)...

1) My (walking) daughter will be 12 months old when we visit. If you have a baby or young child, what would be your most important piece of advice when visiting BA with a toddler? How do you reconcile BA's late hours with bedtime and enough rest for your little one (and yourself!)? Where's your favorite place to go in town with your little one? We won't be renting a car - should I be concerned about no seatbelts or carseats in taxis, etc.?

2) For various reasons I use unscented/biodegradeable dish detergent, laundry soap, shampoo, etc. Are these things available in non-chemically versions in BA or should I plan to bring enough for the whole three weeks?

3) Are there any kind of secondhand clothing stores? When I travel I like to pack really light and fill in any gaps at my destination. Buying secondhand is enjoyable for me, and then I can re-donate what I buy at the end of the trip.

4) When my not-yet-Spanish-speaking sweetie found out I was asking questions of a group of expats, he wanted me to include three questions: what's your experience with the language, and how hard is it to be a part of things without speaking Spanish; what's the general sentiment towards citizens of the US; and why did you choose BA? He's a widely-traveled fellow, but hasn't yet been to South America so he's particularly curious why people are drawn there.

Many thanks for any and all responses you're willing to send me. :)

Cheers,
Anna (and Paul, Magia and Gary), big sister of Bronson Tennis (of the Bronson Tennis band, which plays intermittently at El Sol hostel in Recoleta; and host of an open mic night which is currently looking for a venue).

there are very few second hand clothing stores here, and second hand anything is much more expensive than the US.....I think this is because people here just dont buy so much stuff. Also, new clothing is not very cheap......so bring what you need.

you can probably find the soaps you need here, but i wouldnt count on it....maybe bring a bottle of Dr.Bromers and use it for everything?

In less you are going to be staying in a barrio away from the core of the city, you will be able to survive nicely not speaking spanish, and in my experience, people here are just fine with people from the US, in less one acts like an "ugly american".....most seem to seperate opinions about a government or country from the individual...

.we chose to live in BA because of the attitude towards the arts down here, that we can blend in more easily (its a true melting pot culture), that family and friends and quality of life seem more valued than the US/jobs/business/then relationships.

Regarding the seatbelt car seat issue: I suggest you have your brother find a Remis service near where you are staying, and you can call for the same car/driver each time you need one..its about the same as taxis, but the company will know your needs....

I hope you enjoy BA as much as we do....

Why don't you bring a car seat with you anyway? You should get this as part of her free luggage allowance on the plane, and if nothing else you can use it for the taxis to and from the airport.

Re: hours for children - it's only a three week holiday - why not see how she goes

Re: things to do with children

museo de los ninos
the zoo
temaiken
parque de los ninos
there are lots of nice parks

but at only 12 months just drag her around with you as you go an see the sights - she should cope.

Recommend: Factor 60 suncream and a sun hat. Also a mosquito net for a cot for night time. In February it is still really hot. There may be mosquitos. You can get great, but really toxic repellent here, so if that bothers you bring some natural repellant with you.

tinuvi said:
1) My (walking) daughter will be 12 months old when we visit. If you have a baby or young child, what would be your most important piece of advice when visiting BA with a toddler? How do you reconcile BA's late hours with bedtime and enough rest for your little one (and yourself!)? Where's your favorite place to go in town with your little one? We won't be renting a car - should I be concerned about no seatbelts or carseats in taxis, etc.?

Piece of advice -- bring a carrier -- especially if you have a sling that doesn't take up much room in your baggage. Strollers on half the sidewalks here can drive you insane -- especially if you're visiting older neighbourhoods -- the more upscale/touristy neighbourhoods they are trying to make the sidewalks are getting better, but in general if you use a stroller make sure s/he's strapped in, because you've got to be prerpared for almost dumping your child out of the stroller when you get caught in some hole that you didn't see (and risk having them land splat in the middle of a nice fresh pile of dog poo).

Late hours / bedtime here -- parents take kids out with them wherever they go here -- the kids often fall asleep at the restaurant (esp. if you're talking about a one year old) -- in this scenario, yes, stroller a nice option. Babysitting is not as popular here as in North America, unless you're lucky to have willing grandparents, the kids just get hauled around as part of the parents life (I've been to numerous birthday parties / weddings / dinners / important occasions where in North America presence of a child would be frowned on, here it's assumed you'll just bring the kids with you).

Carseats -- you'll be horrified to hear that you still see a lot of people driving around holding the kids on their laps (even in the front passenger seat!!!) I have a fit at this behaviour, my sister-in-law doesn't even buckle her three year old in!! Taxis often don't even have seat belts for the grown ups, so I'm not really sure if the carseat option would definitely work since there may not be a place to buckle it in (and without the base, not sure how you can do it? Guess it depends on your model).

tinuvi said:
2) For various reasons I use unscented/biodegradeable dish detergent, laundry soap, shampoo, etc. Are these things available in non-chemically versions in BA or should I plan to bring enough for the whole three weeks?

Bring it all with you. BA isn't that "green" yet. Welcome to BA, in all it's chemical and preservative-laden glory. (It's not that bad actually, a lot of the stuff they use here doesn't have close to the amount of preservatives / chemicals as the States, but there isn't an economic base to support lines of green products being sold in regular farmacies and supermarkets)

tinuvi said:
3) Are there any kind of secondhand clothing stores? When I travel I like to pack really light and fill in any gaps at my destination. Buying secondhand is enjoyable for me, and then I can re-donate what I buy at the end of the trip.

Second hand stores -- Ferias Americanas -- are not too common here and definitely won't have the selection you'll find at better ones in the States. As someone else said, people don't buy as much, and when they get rid of their clothes they give to the needy, their maids, the cartoneros etc. This is partly due to not as much consumerism, and more to do with -- if you ask me at least -- very limited closet spaces in tiny apartments.

If you're coming for 3 weeks bring a week / 10 days or so of clothes and then take it to a laundry to be washed -- about 15 pesos a load for "fluff and fold" style service.

tinuvi said:
4) When my not-yet-Spanish-speaking sweetie found out I was asking questions of a group of expats, he wanted me to include three questions: what's your experience with the language, and how hard is it to be a part of things without speaking Spanish; what's the general sentiment towards citizens of the US; and why did you choose BA? He's a widely-traveled fellow, but hasn't yet been to South America so he's particularly curious why people are drawn there.

Experience with language: No spanish in touristy areas = you'll get by. No spanish in non-touristy areas = you'll have a bit of a time of it.
Attitude towards Americans (that are obviously tourists and don't speak spanish) = Oh look, they must have lots of money spend in my shop. (Which is the same attitude towards Brazilians, Europeans, Canadians, etc etc).

Hope that helps a bit!

Back