VoIP, Ooma, Vonage, Skype, etc.

Pay-as-you-go makes everything simpler.

VoIPCheap is a trading name for a company who's name I forget but that company has very good prices. That company operates under different names in the US and elsewhere. (if only I could remember the name!)

They don't have a subscription charge, which is what I needed as I don't use it much.

US & UK calls are generally free as are many other countries (bear in mind this is pay as you go).

Argentine landlines are pretty cheap. Mobiles are about the same as if you were using a mobile to call it in the same country.

I have a UK DID (UK local number) which I didn't pay for. I think you can get other geographical numbers.

The only thing is, I only pay them about $20 every few months to top up and it doesn't seem like a lot to be relying on a number for your point of contact.

I access it all with a cheap Nokia mobile using fring. This works over 3G and WiFi but I only use Wifi generally as that's more reliable. The only thing about this is that I use this mobile when out and about so, needing to reconnect when you get home doesn't really work for incoming calls. So I use it for outgoing only really.

I'm also not a fan of skype. The whole anti-competitive nature of this kind of thing doesn't effect the average person until all of a sudden it causes a big problem, and then all of a sudden that trendy ignorance ain't so cool.
For example, I used to be able to make skype calls with my mobile using fring. But skype blocked that (they had to use the legal approach). As a result I can't use skype anymore from my mobile the same way I used to. That's the kind of thing that fair trade standards are there for.

Hope this helps

Sleuth said:
Ooma looks interesting, especially if you only plan to call US numbers. However, it looks like features you may want (sending voice mail to email, etc.) require a monthly plan. See http://michaelbluejay.com/consumer/phone.html

This link was just perfect - thanks so much! I think we may go with Ooma, in part because they seem to put more of an emphasis on call quality than some of the others... The $26/month for Vonage seems a little steep, although it does look like a great service (and I like that it's been around for awhile and doesn't have much in the way of up-front costs)...

jago25_98 said:
Pay-as-you-go makes everything simpler.

VoIPCheap is a trading name for a company who's name I forget but that company has very good prices. That company operates under different names in the US and elsewhere. (if only I could remember the name!)

They don't have a subscription charge, which is what I needed as I don't use it much.

Very helpful information. However, I anticipate needing to do a fair amount of calling, both for work and personal reasons. Plus, it looks like this company requires you to talk through your computer - with two little kids, I need to be able to pick up a phone and walk to another room if needed! Thanks for the information - I'm guessing it may be great for some others who are interested.

I agree with Sleuth. When I moved here 5 years ago, I carried my VoIP box with me, plugged it into my DSL modem on one end and into a set of 2-line cordless phones on the other. I still use the US 212 number I've had since 1989. When I travel, I usually take it with me and plug it into wired connections at hotels to make free calls. Quality is excellent.

I use a monthly "Vonage World" plan that nominally costs U$S 25.99 a month, which comes to about U$S 37 including taxes and surcharges. It allows unlimited calls to all developed parts of the world without additional charges. Typically the only additional charges are the premium to call cell phones in countries like Argentina and in most of Europe, where the caller pays the cell-call premium (usually about 10 US cents a minute). Calls to cell phones in the US are free.

Friends abroad sometimes send text messages to my cell phone asking that I call them, since it's free and easy for me, and much more reliable the Skype.

I even use the Vonage line to call long distance within Argentina, since it's cheaper than Telecom long-distance rates, especially when calling wired numbers, which are free on Vonage. Friends in Mar del Plata or Mendoza are surprised to see my US number pop up on their caller id until they realize the call "from the US" is actually from BsAs. And that it's free.

We used to have Vonage, but switched to Ooma. From our experience, the customer service is better if you encounter any problems.

Advantages:
-You can forward your number to a cell phone or computer if you were to be away and expecting phone calls.
-No monthly fees, unless you add features
-All you travel with is a small device

Disadvantages:
-You cannot fax, no matter if their websites (vonage and ooma) claims that you can.
-If your internet goes out, so does your phone.

Hope this info helps. :)

NaVette said:
We used to have Vonage, but switched to Ooma. From our experience, the customer service is better if you encounter any problems.

Advantages:
-You can forward your number to a cell phone or computer if you were to be away and expecting phone calls.
-No monthly fees, unless you add features
-All you travel with is a small device

Disadvantages:
-You cannot fax, no matter if their websites (vonage and ooma) claims that you can.
-If your internet goes out, so does your phone.

Hope this info helps. :)

This is so helpful - thanks! Did you have any issues with getting Ooma to work with your internet in Argentina? How's the call quality? By the way, what's the benefit of forwarding your number to a computer - I'm not clear on how that would work...

I don't think you can beat the voip technology - I make and receive a lot of calls between here and Australia when I am working and overall the voice quality is equal or superior to what I would get using the normal phone - and its way cheaper...

One thing I will say re: Skype versus VOIP is this - if you are using your phones for business as well as personal VOIP is definitely better - you get all the options that you don't get with skype - and one that for me was the deal breaker is the ability to turn call waiting on or off - you can't do this with Skype but you CAN do it with VOIP - and if you are looking at doing any sort of call centre work most call centres insist on call waiting being turned OFF - the phone call routing systems they use need to either get a ''busy'' signal because you're on a call (in which case the call goes to the next person who is logged in and free) or the phone needs to ring and you pick it up...

Not sure if this applies to you or not but thought I'd bring it up FWIW...

BAwithkids said:
This is so helpful - thanks! Did you have any issues with getting Ooma to work with your internet in Argentina? How's the call quality? By the way, what's the benefit of forwarding your number to a computer - I'm not clear on how that would work...

Glad the info helped.
It took my husband 5 minutes to hook up and haven't had any problems since November. The quality was just as good as anywhere else. We've used the same number in California, Hawaii, and Thailand. We travel every few months or so and our flights are usually at least 20 hours so our phone calls forward to our account online and we can check messages in between travels. Hope that made sense... NaVette

What do you guys think about MagicJack/MagicTalk? Small device plugged into the USB port, add a phone and that's it.

cruizes said:
What do you guys think about MagicJack/MagicTalk? Small device plugged into the USB port, add a phone and that's it.

I had not heard of them until now so decided to check them out. MagicTalk uses VOIP technology which is a plus. Free calls are also great but the downside is that you need to have your computer turned on to make a phone call. This might be ok for some, but in my case it would be impractical. If you don't mind leaving your computer on 24x7 or just when you make calls then MagicTalk or similar would be quite ok. If you don't want your computer left running just to receive and make calls then MagicTalk would be a pain.

Back