Want to Buy: Used Car, any advice?

dkiefner

Registered
I'm looking to buy a used car, for about $3k in USD. I don't need anything fancy, just reliable and with a lot of storage space (a station wagon or something like a Kangoo would be perfect.)

Is anyone on here selling a car like this? If not, can you recommend any good used car lots to check out? I live in Palermo, and obviously there aren't any lots here. Or, does anyone have experience buying a car off MercadoLibre? Thank you for your help.

David

You're gonna have a very hard time getting a car for $3k USD.

That'll buy you a 20 year old car.

Right, I know that cars, even used, are stupid expensive here vs. the US. A 20 year old car with rust and dented doors is fine, as long as it's reliable.

Yop, $3K USD won't get you anything really reliable.

If I was obliged to buy a station wagon for that price, I would go for a "Renault 12 break" like http://auto.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA...12-tl-break-1978-cubieras-nuevas-46652325-_JM

Those cars are cheap, virtually indestructible, can be repaired anywhere in Argentina, there are plenty of spare parts.

On another hand, it's somehow not advisable to buy a car for 3.000 USD here, I'll explain why with an example:
- 3.000 USD will buy you a Fiat Uno from 1997 with maybe 200.000 kms or more.
- for 4.500 USD, you can buy a Fiat Uno from 2007 with 30.000 kms on it if you search well.
The price difference is well worth the hassle you'll avoid.

My husband bought and sold a car on MercadoLibre.

You have to be very careful when buying an old car, because it's very possible the engine and chasis don't match. You should get a police verification on the car.... it's best if you both go, although the seller can do it on his own and present the document.

Also be incredibly careful about visiting a seller with cash. Go with someone or meet in a public area if possible.

Go with the seller to get the police verification. That's the safest way. Don't just take the paper from him. You don't want to be tricked into buying a stolen car.

I'm not sure how things are now, but almost 5 years ago when I bought my car, I found that most of the prices I found from individuals selling their cars were about the same as I was seeing on car lots. It wasn't like in the States where you got a good discount from someone selling privately.

Having heard of issues that some people have had buying from individuals (nothing that couldn't be overcome, for sure), I would try to buy from a car lot. There's a good selection usually (better than going to see one car at a time) and the nice thing for me: the dealership handled all of the details of transferring the title. I just showed up about a week after I bought the car and received my papers and the cedula verde y ya estaba.

I ended up buying my used Megane 1999 5-door in 2007 from a Renault dealership that also sold new cars. I paid 25,000 pesos for what was at the time an 8 year old car. It had about 170K kilometers on the odometer. The dollar rate at the time was a little over 3 to 1, so I paid just a little over $8K USD.

Thank you. ElQueso, can you recommend where in the city I should look for used car lots? Is it like most cities in the US, where most car dealerships are located in the same area?

If you go to Avenida Warnes you can buy in instalments exactly what you aspire to - just take a supermarket trolley, start at one end and pick up all the bits you need n.b dont forget you'll do well to also borrow a good socket set

Back