Want to expat! Hungry for knowledge

AkBill said:
You have chosen wisely my friend, Argentina is the paradise you have been seeking. Welcome.

¡¡¡Viva la revolución!!!

Uh, oh!

Perhaps you might consider joining the Mormon Church and moving to Northern Idaho.

It might be even safer there than Utah in the future.

It will certainly be safer than BA or almost anywhere else in Argentina.

steveinbsas said:
Uh, oh!

Perhaps you might consider joining the Mormon Church and moving to Northern Idaho.

It might be even safer there than Utah in the future.

It will certainly be safer than BA or almost anywhere else in Argentina.

Well, the whole United States has gotten very dangerous. I initially wanted to build a bunker in the Rocky Mountains but quickly realized that wouldn't be enough when I listened to this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4_LxWpYwOs

And thank goodness I did. Because even though this man has something to sell, he makes some very valid points. He lives in Argentina because he feels it is the safest place to avoid being killed by what he says will be the "five big killers" over the next 5 - 15 years: warfare, famine, natural disasters, disease, and ruthless governments. The Bush family and other elitists also have bought property in Argentina. The cats out of the bag!

Check this picture out: http://www.extremumspiritum.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Fema_Camp_Map-300x212.jpg
Each of those flags represents a death camp with stacks of millions of disposable caskets!! The nazis didn't build them to sit empty, they filled them up. Check em out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zSDdm-SHI

If that's not enough, there's a video at http://www.endofamerica38.com that proves the US dollar is about to be worthless. No more pensions, no wages, nothing imported, nothing. Total chaos ensues. It's a tough video to sit through, I know, but this has already happened in Great Britain and Yugoslavia... total economic failure... so it's a pretty important topic.

Recently, these elitists put pressure on the senate to pass a series of bills that allows them to do whatever they want with U.S. treasury, and if martial law is declared to arrest anyone and take everything from them, their vehicles, homes, guns, the farms, the roads, the airwaves, and now they're trying to pass one to control the internet.

I think it will be very good for you to get out of the US and live in another country. I was very similar when I was your age in the 90's. I was moved by the modern interent movement of the EZLN and many other movements in Latin America that I went to live in many different countries in central and south america. I complained about things in the states and was excited to be an observer in some of the most radical movements I felt were happening in the world at that time. I am so grateful for the experiences I lived. My eyes were quickly opened to reality though. One thing you need to understand is that you are moving to a completely different country. Although, I do believe there are many commonalities between people that can build bonds, people have lived completely different than the priviledge in the US. It is something really easy to say, "I know there is corruption in Argentina" or I know people are not as priviledged as in the US, without really thinking about the true reality of those statments. You will be outraged by so many injustices in latin america, and there is nothing you can really do about it. People have lived unstable lives for so long that it is just the way of life. There is no investment in institutions because who knows when the next military regime will come and destroy what you invested in. You will not find justice, you will not find a policeman to help you, you will find a fairly prevalent anti-north american attitude, you will get scammed everyday, you will wait weeks and weeks to get something done that could take two days, zero customer service, you will get hung up on, you will not find people to stand by your side and fight with you because they are comfortable and are looking out for numero uno. People will not think like you. If something does go wrong you have almost zero options. Even if you wanted to go to the US embassy for help, they are going to stay out it. Life is of very little value in latin america. No one is going to slow down or even try not hit you when crossing the street with a child in your arms. There are individuals that will waste your life for the change in your pocket.

Let's just hope that nothing bad happens to you and Argentina is the paradise you are looking for. I lived there three years and learned to appreciate the US more and more. I know that the US is not perfect. There are many things that need to be changed. I know there are people in the US that do not value life, but the thing is the majority do and that cannot be said for the majority in Latin America. The US has an amazing system of goverance with checks and balances, and you CAN find justice. There are awesome FREE public libraries. There are many options for assistance when times are hard. I can go on and on about the things I learned to appreciate after living away from the US for so long. The majority of the folks that I have met in the US, young and old, have a desire to work toward the better world in their hearts. The majority of people I met in Argentina and other Latin American countries would throw you under the bus if it meant a little bit better life for them. I was very disillusioned.

I don't want to discourage you. I think you should most definitely go and live away for five to ten years, just don't renounce your US citizenship because I think you will learn to be very proud of the US and want to come back to fight for the better world you have in your heart.

You "intend to contact the consulate when they open on Monday"?
You sound a bit impulsive to me, did you just make this decision today?

Anyway, Here are some of my semi-random thoughts:

- Calm down. Stop thinking about the elites and disposable caskets and try thinking about something practical - how realistic is it that you will be able to support yourself in Argentina? REALLY think about it.

- I agree that the US is turning fascist. Argentina has been fascist for some time already (look up the definition of fascism if you don't believe me). The advantage of Argentina is that the government has much less direct power than the US government, mostly because it lacks the resources. The disadvantage is that everyone else poorer too.

- If you believe that the US dollar is about to be worthless, what gives you the confidence that peso will not?

- Did you travel to other countries or did you do all your reseach on the Internet? If the latter, then maybe you should visit a few countries before settling down in Argentina.

- Look up "perpetual traveler".

- Why not Chile? Their immigration process seems more transparent and straightforward.

Rad said:
You "intend to contact the consulate when they open on Monday"?
You sound a bit impulsive to me, did you just make this decision today?

Anyway, Here are some of my semi-random thoughts:

- Calm down. Stop thinking about the elites and disposable caskets and try thinking about something practical - how realistic is it that you will be able to support yourself in Argentina? REALLY think about it.

- I agree that the US is turning fascist. Argentina has been fascist for some time already (look up the definition of fascism if you don't believe me). The advantage of Argentina is that the government has much less direct power than the US government, mostly because it lacks the resources. The disadvantage is that everyone else poorer too.

- If you believe that the US dollar is about to be worthless, what gives you the confidence that peso will not?

- Did you travel to other countries or did you do all your reseach on the Internet? If the latter, then maybe you should visit a few countries before settling down in Argentina.

- Look up "perpetual traveler".

- Why not Chile? The immigration process seems more transparent and straightforward.

It's not impulsiveness, it's decisiveness. I've done a lot of research and I stand by my decision. Yes, expatiating anywhere is difficult but that's why I'm trying to do this as smart as I can, with a good plan and not in an impulsive fashion. Yes supporting myself will be harder since all my dealings will be in Spanish, but other than that I don't see much difference between supporting myself here or there. If you work hard, spend wisely and live smartly (i.e. locking the doors) that is the formula for success anywhere.

At this point, I've read a lot of conflicting things about both the crime and economy in Argentina. On the one hand I've been told that violent crime is rare in Argentina, and non-violent crime i.e. theft about the same. I've read that it's like "Europe at 1/3 the price", that tomatoes cost 10 cents a pound, and while wages are lower, prices are significantly lower. On the other hand I've read that crime is everywhere and poverty widespread.

The thing with the USD is that the United States is the only nation that's been allowed to trade with valueless currency, allowing us to live beyond our means and bury ourselves in debt, and that will have big repercussions. When it happened to the British Sterling after WWII, they had to implement a wage freeze. Everyone stopped working. Trash piled up in the streets. Hospitals closed up. If that happens in the United States martial law will be declared and all of our rights stripped. Even if the Peso weakens, my concern isn't as much the money itself in either country, but the consequences of a failing, irresponsible economy. Honestly, I think the whole world is in trouble. Argentina is just in less trouble.

After a ton of research, my mind is made up on Argentina. At this time, it's the safest bet in the case of a social economic collapse. I don't have the time and cash to travel around and compare nations, or even to visit Argentina first. Once I'm there though I intend to stay. You may say "that's dumb" and of course I wouldn't ordinarily do it but it's the unfortunate reality for me right now. I'm running out of time and staying put is much dumber. Worst case scenario I just leave but I don't have any intention of doing so. I intend to face the challenge and persevere.

I did look up perpetual traveler, thanks for the tip :)

The scoop on Chile, as with Uruguay is that they both do rate very highly for survivability, but has a high risk of natural disasters and a government that adopts globalist ideals very easily. I suppose it's considered in between first and second world. I was aware that it's easier to immigrate there but I hadn't taken too in depth a look at the exact laws surrounding that. I will do that though. I would consider it an alternative to Argentina but I have to go somewhere.

"The thing with the USD is that the United States is the only nation that's been allowed to trade with valueless currency"
Other nations aren't? Do EUR, ARS or JPY have some intrinsic value? All currencies are just paper.

"I've read a lot of conflicting things about both the crime and economy in Argentina."
Argentina isn't the deal it used to be.

Rad said:
"The thing with the USD is that the United States is the only nation that's been allowed to trade with valueless currency"
Other nations aren't? Do EUR, ARS or JPY have some intrinsic value? All currencies are just paper.

"I've read a lot of conflicting things about both the crime and economy in Argentina."
Argentina isn't the deal it used to be.

What I mean is the united states is the only debtor in the world with a unique ability to legally print more USD, which is the world's reserve currency. It's what banks around the world use to hold against their loans. Those EUR JPY etc. aren't used to trade for resources - everything is priced in dollars. So really, when one nation wants to buy something, like oil, from another country, they have to buy dollars first, then buy the oil. The United States is the only country that can simply pump out more of it.

So to maintain the value of those EUR, ARS, or JPY, those countries must produce at least as much as they consume. But America could simply consume as much as it wanted because everything in the world is priced in dollars which we print, but we still owe those debts to the world. As we keep trying to solve the debt by taking on more debt, i.e. printing, inflation is going crazy and in the meantime we still don't have any real way of repaying those debts. Eventually the world will devalue the USD or stop accepting USDs at all.

When the reserve currency of a nation is devalued like this, or if it produces less than it consumes, such as in Great Britain's case in the 70s, wages plummet and prices skyrocket.

This is all paraphrased from the video at www.endofamerica38.com. I know I sound like a spokesman, but that's a very important presentation to watch. There's a version on youtube that is more user-friendly but I don't want to link it because it's an outdated version. I haven't found the more recent version on youtube.

Back