Want to expat! Hungry for knowledge

Sorry to be rude, but is this a joke?? You can't be serious that you take Porter Stansberry's advice to heart. He is a convicted fraudster, and is simply fear mongering so people pay for his newsletter. You can paint any picture you want with data, by manipulating it and selecting data points that fit your story. Who gives a shit he has charts and data. I could run a regression analysis showing why North Korea will be the wealthiest country in 25 years, doesn't mean its true. .

I highly suggest you that you reference more reputable sources before you move to the mountains of cordoba with a 5 year supply of beans and rice waiting for the world to blow up.

MikeB12 said:
Sorry to be rude, but is this a joke?? You can't be serious that you take Porter Stansberry's advice to heart. He is a convicted fraudster, and is simply fear mongering so people pay for his newsletter. You can paint any picture you want with data, by manipulating it and selecting data points that fit your story. Who gives a shit he has charts and data. I could run a regression analysis showing why North Korea will be the wealthiest country in 25 years, doesn't mean its true. .

I highly suggest you that you reference more reputable sources before you move to the mountains of cordoba with a 5 year supply of beans and rice waiting for the world to blow up.

I made the same point to him earlier, he didn't respond, my guess it is a joke. Moving to Argentina for perceived increased political and economic stability would be like moving to Mexico because there are now too many Mexicans in the states. Argentina over the last 50 years is the poster child in the western hemisphere for instability.

Goshinki said:
What will the cost be of my foot up your ass when I get there?

You could go to jail...an Argentine jail. That should scare you more than anything in the USA.

At least you would be able to use your survival skills there, but not any survival gear you bring with you (it will be "redistributed" without your consent).

I saw this post several hours ago. I didn't reply immediately, hoping Kevin would realize the implications and probable consequences of this post and delete it. I think he may have lost some support here, but I can only speak for myself: He's certainly lost mine,

Before I saw the post I was also thinking how unprepared he is to come to Argentina and try to "live off the land" as one member encouraged him to do. He doesn't speak the language and he cannot possibly "compete" with any Argentines for any kind of job here (even manual labor), especially in the countryside.

He may be lucky not to be robbed of everything he has the first week, especially if he is trying to live a frugal lifestyle and doesn't stay in a relatively "safe" area. It will be pretty tough to blog after his laptop is stolen.

I remember the expat who's backpack with his computer was stolen at the Retiro station when he was trying to save money by taking a bus instead of a taxi to EZE. That was on the last day of his visit. I don't think Kevin will last very long here, now matter how much money he is able to save prior to his arrival.

If he is able to save three to five thousand dollars prior to leaving the US he really should think again about coming to Argentina in the first place. This is not a country where he will be able to do the same. He may despise Walmart and McDonalds but he doesn't even stand a chance of getting a job at either of these companies in Argentina. That may be the last thing he would want, until he is broke, which he will be sooner or later (either by spending all his money or being robbed).

I don't think the US is going to become a police state or is in any danger of a "Hitler type" takeover. I won't even bother to read the websites that lead Kevin to believe it will. There has been some loss of "individual liberty" in the US in the past couple years, but I think that will soon be reversed. Argentina is more likely to have another military government first, but I don't think that is a strong possibility, either.

Unless Kevin said something similar to his above post to his last manager at Walmart and the door to working there is closed forever, I think he will be much better off going back there to work (even if that his best option in the USA) than coming here to live. I think Northern Idaho would be a better "survivalist" choice (or perhaps Montana). I'm fairly certain there'e a Walmart in Billings and there are McDonalds everywhere. That being said, unless he's an orphan, the safest place for him to live is probably his parents' basement, especially if they don't expect him to pay rent (given his present blogging income of $100 per year).

marksoc said:
And for the anti-Kirchneristas afraid of the people and the unions, stay out there, because this is the future of my country, and we like it like that. Wait for October to see what candidate people vote, and then you will understand.
Why do you commies/fascists always hide behind "we"? Just admit it that you personally would like to steal from someone and "redistribute" it to someone else (perhaps yourself?)

But yeah, this is a possible future for Argentina. But not like Sweden. Argentina couldn't afford that.

steveinbsas said:
Before I saw the post I was also thinking how unprepared he is to come to Argentina and try to "live off the land" as one member encouraged him to do. He doesn't speak the language and he cannot possibly "compete" with any Argentines for any kind of job here (even manual labor), especially in the countryside..
If you're referring to my post, I wrote it because I had already given up on him, he clearly didn't care what we had to say, and was only thinking of the potential entertainment value of reading his blog while he floundered here. PS I don't really think any of you guys were bashing Argentina because you're card carrying members of the Illuminati either.

PhilipDT said:
If you're referring to my post, I wrote it because I had already given up on him, he clearly didn't care what we had to say, and was only thinking of the potential entertainment value of reading his blog while he floundered here. PS I don't really think any of you guys were bashing Argentina because you're card carrying members of the Illuminati either.

Thanks. I still wish him well, so I hope he doesn't come to Argentina. Though I'm not a card carrying member of anything, I'm happy here and I have no plans of leaving. Does that make me a member of an elite group? After five years, I think I've paid my dues and I love living where I am now.

Goshinki said:
I'm seeing more and more people agree that Argentina will be the safest haven in the event of a global catastrophe.

It might not be if you are at the bottom of the food chain. If there is a global catestrophe and you are in Argentina you'd better have much more than a backpack full of survival gear and a laptop. Survival will depend on having a place to live (perhaps without utilities at times), food to eat, and the ability to defend yourself. Being a homeless (and perhaps destitute) foreigner who doesn't speak the language or have any friends or family to turn to will put you at a significant disadvantage.

Goshinki said:
Okay Syngirl, I will remember that as I do my research, thank you for the head's up. Although I think it must be harder for you as an Argentine citizen considering that Argentina is on the list of "Countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors" and the United States is not.

They make it look very easy on that site, don't they? "Fill out an application". There's even an optional way to have it expedited.

I'm not an Argentine citizen. I'm a native-born Canadian. My husband is Argentine -- he married me, a Canadian, and doesn't automatically qualify for a visa. So I don't know why you think you can get a visa so easily? Americans don't just get a thumbs-up visa approval to stay in Canada -- and neither do Canadians to stay in the States -- we also have to meet rather strict qualifications to be able to stay and work in the USA.

You musn't have read much of the CIC site -- I don't even know what category you would fit into -- you're not self-employed with enough income, you're not a skilled professional, you're not a spouse, you don't have the professional skills to stand out as a Provincial Nominee, and you're not going to be accepted by Quebec unless you speak French. Most categories have pretty strict education and financial requirements.

Here's a quick way for you to see whether your application would even be processed for Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/tool/index.asp

With a couple of clicks you can see whether or not it's worth submitting.

And a self-assessment tool to see if you'd get enough points for a skilled worker visa: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

Otherwise start saving some money, and maybe you'll be able to get accepted to a college programme and get a student visa.

On another thread just now someone brought up the brazen nature of Americans to just assume since they're Americans they're going to get special treatment and skip the lines, get visas and jobs easily, and just soar beyond the masses. Doesn't work that way -- in Argentina and in Canada alike.

Joe said:
Although now, as many posters have acknowledged, Argentina is no longer a budget destination, I think you will find the cost of psychological professionals a bargain compared to the USA.

I've engaged in very positive discussion with you guys. While some of you are saying I'm not "listening" to your advice, it's simply not the case. You are ignoring the positive notes of these threads over the last couple of days, and instead judging me for being offended by statements like this, which is just meant as an insult.

I'm not at all sorry for responding negatively to such disrespect. If you give disrespect, that's what you will get, at least from me.

The final synapsis I've made is that, while Argentina is best for an ideal situation in which one may evaluate their chances of survival based on raw data and projections, that is only an ideal situation. Because I don't know the language, couldn't get a car or a home, probably not a job, and on limited funds, it defeats the purpose of survival.

Back