watch out at ezeiza on arrival....

nlaruccia said:
The mafia has been stealing out of suitcases in Ezeiza for years. A couple years ago with hidden cameras they filmed how the airport employees abuse animals that are traveling in cases as well.

What kind of abuse was observed? That is VERY disconcerting.

Now we know why almost all Argentines use the plastic wrapping service for their luggage at EZE. I thought it was because they had poorly built luggage, but this makes more sense. The thefts happen at airports in the USA as well-there are large organized rings operating in the NY and Miami airports doing this type of stuff.

I always wrap my stuff. Think of it this way, do you have more than $20 worth of stuff in your suitcase? If so, the cost of wrapping it is worth it. It's a shame we cant have the bags wrapped when leaving the USA....

Last December I was returning from NY and they wouldn't allow me to wrap my suitcases. I had to carry everything valuble in my carry-on so I wouldn't get robbed in Ezeiza. About the animal abuse, they airport workers were filmed teasing the animals and kicking or tossing their cages.

nlaruccia said:
About the animal abuse, they airport workers were filmed teasing the animals and kicking or tossing their cages.

Do you know if that was that a particular airline, or does it matter? I'd hope that U.S. based carriers have better controls than that.

I was always taught to carry expensive things on your carry on and a change of clothes and a tooth brush just in case. I never really heard of anyone having trouble at the airport but it looks like its more of a serious problem than I thought!

re. Tommy: "I'd hope that U.S. based carriers have better controls than that."

I don't see any reason for thinking that US controls on theft of luggage contents would be hoped to be any better than those in any other country. The problem is that security staff and other workers are all just sub-contracted generally everywhere.

Also, since the US ruled on what kind of suitcase lock is permissible, I wonder if this one change has destroyed the practical benefit of locking your cases. Perhaps now, just by using the only lock allowed, you're instructing thieves that your bags especially contain valuables in contrast to other people's non-locked bags.

This happens in other places besides Argentina. In the U.S. the airports famous for this are Boston, New York, Newark, and Los Angeles. Basically it's local unions with ties to organized crime. Remember the movie Goodfellas, where when they needed money they robbed the airport, this actually happens.

The best advice given here is to keep all valuables in your carry-on.

The wrapping doesn't really work because they have the right to open your luggage. ANY airline has the right to open your luggage. Ezeiza is famous for scanning bags for electronics which are very expensive bought new here, so there is a VERY strong black market for them. In the states a used iPod will net you $20 here you can get $100 for it USED.

The plane lands, the luggage starts coming out immediately. You have to stand in customs for up to 2 hours depending on the traffic when you come in and sometimes your luggage still isn't on the turnstile when you get out, so yes, they do have time to check your bags for valuables. They are not interested in clothes, books or toiletries. They want electronics and jewelry, which some people keep in toiletry bags. If your toiletries are visible in zip lock baggies and you don't put anything of real value in your your checked bags you should be OK. Electronics go in your carry on. That way you don't really need locks or wraps, which only make them think you have something in there to protect any way. An unlocked bag is ASSUMED to have nothing of value in it most of the time....

Back