Watched A Nice Argentine Movie

A classic " Man facing SouthEast" 1987. Universal Pictures movie K-PAX released 2001 was a copy cat ,a case of Plagiarism

A modest box office draw when released in Argentina in April 1987, Man Facing Southeast received wider acclaim upon its video release later that year. The Secretariat of Culture submitted it for consideration by Academy of Motion Pictures for the 1987 O scar for Best Foreign Language Film, though it was not nominated. Little known outside Argentina, Man Facing Southeast received wider exposure upon the 2001 release of Universal Pictures'K-PAX, whose similarity to the Argentine title (whose author and director, Eliseo Subiela, was not credited) was unmistakable to film enthusiasts and critics, among them Robert Koehler of Variety and Bob Strauss of the Los Angeles Times, both of whom expressed surprise at K-PAX author Gene Brewer's contention that Man Facing Southeast was unfamiliar to him. Film critics at MSNBC, for their part, commented that "both films are quite similar, though Man Facing Southeast is more ingenious and enigmatic.[sup][1][/sup] In turn, the film itself was originally characterized by Mark Leeper as a combination of David Bowie's The Man Who Fell to Earth and Jack Nicholson's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.[sup][2][/sup] Other critics have highlighted the metaphoric value of Rantés, himself, whose miraculous powers, concern for the poor, frank criticism of human hypocrisy and willingness to subject himself to what amounts to torture create a character with a clear parallel in Christianity.[sup][3][/sup]

Also, a scene from MFSE was entirely "borrowed" by Mr. Jones, and old movie with Richard Gere. He's a patient that walks in the middle of a concert and starts directing. The whole movie reeks of MFSE.
"The story about the relationship between a manic depressive man, Mr Jones, and the female doctor who takes more than a professional interest in his treatment." IMDB

I have the same issue with Argentine movies.

Thankfully, the one I recommended is a modern day movie.

check Muerte en Buenos Aires a current movie!

http://www.cinenacional.com/pelicula/muerte-en-buenos-aires

Has nobody mentioned Esperando la Carroza?

I'm not sure if I would describe Argentines as amongst the funniest people I have met but this is genuinely funny and very Argentine. Quotes from the movie have entered into everyday speech (Yo hago puchero,ella hace puchero,yo hago ravioles,ella hace ravioles...que pais!).

Has nobody mentioned Esperando la Carroza?

I'm not sure if I would describe Argentines as amongst the funniest people I have met but this is genuinely funny and very Argentine. Quotes from the movie have entered into everyday speech (Yo hago puchero,ella hace puchero,yo hago ravioles,ella hace ravioles...que pais!).
sabes lo que tenian para comer? tenian tres empanadas...

http://youtu.be/IS_Q3MtxA8M
T-shirts are available.

My favorite is El Secreto de sus Ojos

It's one of the few movies I watched +5 times!
Would be fun to make a movie list like such (for me: Wizard of Oz (1939), Le crabe tambour, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie), La belle et la bête (Cocteau), Mesrine part 1 & 2 (incredible bandit), Rocky Horror Picture Show (obviously), et al.).

Also, Nueve Reinas is a movie I watched a lot, but rather before/when I came here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJMiAPtrHU4

is a good Uruguayan movie.

A very nice comedy about being a foreigner in Buenos Aires is "La Herencia" (young German goes to BsAs to find lost Argentine girlfriend and comedy ensues!)
The best high comedy I have seen is "Una cuestion de principios" with a great cast and script. Set in Rosario--I think it didn´t get enough recognition, best film I´ve seen in the past 5 years from Argentina.
"Buena Vida Delivery" is a bitter comedy about the crisis of 2001 and was filmed during the collapse, hollywood bought the rights.
"Nueve Reinas" is an excellent movie about con artists, with Darín and a great script. Also remade in Hollywood, but with not great results. Lots of young filmmakers would consider this to be the best modern Argentine film.
If you want to watch a film about S&M, "un año sin amor" is about love in the time of AIDS.
A film that is slow but done right is "Cama Adentro" about the relationship between a maid and her employer during the economic crisis of 2001, with a surprise ending.

A trailer for the new film from up and coming director Daniel de la Vega

Not for the faint hearted......

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/354307-your-must-see-trailer-of-the-day-goes-to-necrophobia-3d/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=your-must-see-trailer-of-the-day-goes-to-necrophobia-3d

A very nice comedy about being a foreigner in Buenos Aires is "La Herencia" (young German goes to BsAs to find lost Argentine girlfriend and comedy ensues!)
Great film! Just the thought of it makes me very nostalgic about Bs As

I love Argentine movies.

Here are a few other titles I immediately remember:

-Un mundo menos peor
-El aura
-Mi mejor enemigo
-Bolivia
-Un Cuento Chino - I have watched this movie 6 times
-El Bonaerense
-El lado oscuro del corazón
-Iluminados por el fuego - ...tough!
-Lluvia
-Un oso rojo - love this one
-No sos vos, soy yo (slightly pathetic comedy but a nice change from the history movies I usually watch)

Back