Watching US Netflix? (Google Fi VPN?)

ExpressVPN has favored sites for penetrating Netflix and Amazon Prime. At peak hours they are sometimes too busy, can't connect. I also have Cyberghost VPN. One or the other always connects for me. I've used them in Europe, USA, Mexico. Except for the occaisional peak hour issue, I just click on their icon and sit back.

(Since I started this thread) here's been my experience thus far. On my Pixel 2 phone all I had to do was turn on the phone's VPN and, bingo, I was able to access Netflix (but not Amazon Prime). I then cast to a ChromeCast I brought along and that experience has been pretty good. My only complaint is that the Netflix app on the phone has no idea what the TV is doing and doesn't seem to have any control over it (i.e. can't pause it, can't advance it, etc). But the cast will get the program started and then as long as I watch it to the end it works well. I installed ExpressVPN on an iPad and it has lived up to its reputation. As with any VPN you have to change the server you are using from time to time.

(Since I started this thread) here's been my experience thus far. On my Pixel 2 phone all I had to do was turn on the phone's VPN and, bingo, I was able to access Netflix (but not Amazon Prime). I then cast to a ChromeCast I brought along and that experience has been pretty good. My only complaint is that the Netflix app on the phone has no idea what the TV is doing and doesn't seem to have any control over it (i.e. can't pause it, can't advance it, etc). But the cast will get the program started and then as long as I watch it to the end it works well. I installed ExpressVPN on an iPad and it has lived up to its reputation. As with any VPN you have to change the server you are using from time to time.

I have a similar problem. I use chromecast from my pc. While casting there a hard to find control line on my pc, at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes it disappears. But it has the basic controls, start, pause, etc. I havent tried casting on my phone but I suggest you try playing around with the phone display, see if you can get the control line to appear.

I have a similar problem. I use chromecast from my pc. While casting there a hard to find control line on my pc, at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes it disappears. But it has the basic controls, start, pause, etc. I havent tried casting on my phone but I suggest you try playing around with the phone display, see if you can get the control line to appear.

Thank you so much Jeff. That line on my phone is not even so hard to find. I just had to understand that the phone could not perfectly emulate the TV remote which I use at home. Thanks again!! Bob

My Netflix account was hacked this week. A Netflix email informed me that someone in Turkey used my account and advised me to change my password. I couldn't because the hacker already did so. I was unable to use my account or cancel it. I paid the monthly charge when I subscribed in March 2018 through my US bank account.

I asked a tech friend what to do. He suggested what I had already tried. I wasn't surprised when he share a link about how hackers change passwords to use accounts.

I contacted my US bank about a stop payment which takes 3 days to process and costs $25. The October payment cleared Oct 19 for $3.07 -- the lowest charge since I subscribed when it was $6.39

The phone number on the debit charge is 408 724 9160, a San Jose CA area code, but not Netflix. A few of the debits indicated "Amsterdam" in the description.

When your account is hacked, you can't cancel, you can't change your password. All you can do is stop payment on it.

Has anyone had their Netflix account hacked?

Oct 12, 2019 1:15pm
Hi Janis,​
We’ve changed your password, as you asked. To view or change your account information,​
If you did not ask to change your password we are here to help secure your account, just contact us.​
–Your friends at Netflix​

Hi Janis,​
We noticed a new sign-in with your Netflix account ([email protected]).​

Device​
Web Browser​
Location​
Kayseri, Turkey
(may not match your exact location)
Time​
October 12th, 1:14 PM GMT-3​
If you signed-in recently, relax and enjoy watching! But if you don’t recognize this sign-in, we recommend that you change your password immediately to secure your account.​
We're here to help if you need it. Visit the Help Center for more info or contact us.​

Hi Janis,​
Let's reset your password so you can get back to watching.​
If you did not ask to reset your password you may want to review your recent account access for any unusual activity.​
We're here to help if you need it. Visit the Help Center for more info or contact us.​

Last edited:
I can'f find any recent discussion of this subject. (Due in part to the fact that "vpn" is not a valid search word here.)

Does vpn still work? Which vpn providers work or work best? Does the Google Fi vpn work?

Thanks, Bob
There was actually a VPN discussion a couple of months back. I'm not sure it added much to the present discussion, but you can search on "Advice on VPNs?"

My bank informed me they cannot process a stop payment on an automatic debit. This is what I had to do. Go to a LIVE CHAT with Netflix, explain the situation, and request closure of my account and credit for the last payment a few days ago. The hacker is going to discover he can no longer use my account. Netflix will email me a transcript of the live chat as requested for proof. My first attempt on the live chat was ignored for hours. I tried again and had an immediate response (probably from an automated system going by the name of Melvin Jr.

Just wanted to pass along this info in case anyone else finds their Netflix account hacked.

Netflix confirmed the cancellation. I received this message in Turkish.
We're sorry to bid farewell to you​
Hi Janis,​
Requested, we have canceled your membership as of Monday, October 21, 2019.​
Of course we would love you back. If you change your mind, the best series, programs and movies to watch uninterrupted restart your membership will suffice.​

Last edited:
Just a heads up. Nord reported they were hacked recently. You may want to change your password if you are a user.

Back