We Cannot And Should Not Forget

I am not sure what your point is

I am may be putting words into someone else's mouth, and not really interested in a dragged out analysis of this, but it's probably that you can't even paint an organization like the Waffen-SS with that broad of a brush. Many, many officers and soldiers serving in the Waffen-SS, and also very much the other branches (non Waffen) of the SS, deserve every bit of the scorn and derision you describe. Many others were little more than conscripts that were fairly indistinguishable from the rest of the German military machine. Then there was the whole multi-ethnic dimension that was another complicated element.

While it's entirely true and fair that the organization was established and led by leaders with a horrific political/ideological agenda, and the organization (both its Waffen and non-Waffen elements) committed a disproportionate share of the heinous acts of the Third Reich, there is a need for some flexibility there on an individual-to-individual basis.

I'm always a little skeptical about anything glorifying war, particularly at this point in time, given the gross excesses of the US/NATO military machine in the last decade and a half. It's just a little too convenient to indulge in such flag-waving rah-rah business just when the public is sick of wars, and reluctant to get dragged into new military adventures in Africa and the Ukraine.

That said, I do respect the generation which fought WW2, and my respect is apportioned equally to all veterans of that era, regardless of which side on which they fought.

I stop short of respecting the SS and its ilk.

It's worthwhile remembering that World War I led to WW2 by imposing such harsh conditions on the Germans. Does anyone know why WWI was fought? The first Iraq War led to the US stationing troops in Saudi, which was the main reasons OBL gave for the 9/11 attacks which somehow led to another Iraq war.

Iraq vets that joined to get a free education by doing the dirty work of an imperial power do not deserve respect. WW2 vets are another story however.

As the US and it allies engage in additional wars of choice it is our duty NOT to respect those that actively participate in these wars, whether they wear a uniform or not.

Very moving acct of driving home a dead in action US soldier in -iraq..... ! Respect for those parents that lost their childern...!!

81jggn7B%2BLL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm always a little skeptical about anything glorifying war, particularly at this point in time, given the gross excesses of the US/NATO military machine in the last decade and a half. It's just a little too convenient to indulge in such flag-waving rah-rah business just when the public is sick of wars, and reluctant to get dragged into new military adventures in Africa and the Ukraine.

That said, I do respect the generation which fought WW2, and my respect is apportioned equally to all veterans of that era, regardless of which side on which they fought.

I think that there is very little glorification of war. Certainly not by those who have participated or those who have lost loved ones to a war. I suspect what you are seeing as glorification is remembrance, respect, and honoring of service and sacrifice.

Bob

My grandmother's brother, Francis Hobbs, a US Army Lt, landed on Omaha beach in the first wave. Made it inland. Twice saved his surviving platoon from getting run over by taking positions in the open and laying down enfilade fire. Once he grabbed a hand grenade and threw it back. All documented in after-action reports. Shot by a sniper in hedgerow fighting 3 weeks after landing in Normandy. Awarded the Bronze Star for Valor and the Croix de Guerre. He was 26. I was finally able to get the Croix de Guerre presented to my grandmother 52 years later.

This is the day I always think of him.

GS

You sure come from good stock GS. And you were a good grandson to pursue that Croix de Guerre.

Bob

It's worthwhile remembering that World War I led to WW2 by imposing such harsh conditions on the Germans. Does anyone know why WWI was fought? The first Iraq War led to the US stationing troops in Saudi, which was the main reasons OBL gave for the 9/11 attacks which somehow led to another Iraq war.

Iraq vets that joined to get a free education by doing the dirty work of an imperial power do not deserve respect. WW2 vets are another story however.

As the US and it allies engage in additional wars of choice it is our duty NOT to respect those that actively participate in these wars, whether they wear a uniform or not.

Well ... yes, we have to hold people accountable for their actions - as will as give them credit for their actions. But how many of the guys who served in Iraq do you think analyzed that war and determined that it was a war of choice. I think that the vast majority of them just thought that their country needed them. Few of us have the competence to questions our President and Congress.

Bob

Despite of what lots of people think and say, especially the US, or more especifically, Hollywood,

WAR SUCKS

?
I guess on Dec 7th you out there waving the Japanese flag over Pearl? What a guy.

War is not cheering on your favorite sports team. All the soldiers who died on all sides were human beings just like you and me - victims of politically folly (among other things) that cost them their lives.

Well ... yes, we have to hold people accountable for their actions - as will as give them credit for their actions. But how many of the guys who served in Iraq do you think analyzed that war and determined that it was a war of choice. I think that the vast majority of them just thought that their country needed them. Few of us have the competence to questions our President and Congress.

Bob

I'll put my competence up against Shrub's and Cheney's any day.

Back