We Cannot And Should Not Forget

It's worthwhile remembering that World War I led to WW2 by imposing such harsh conditions on the Germans. Does anyone know why WWI was fought? The first Iraq War led to the US stationing troops in Saudi, which was the main reasons OBL gave for the 9/11 attacks which somehow led to another Iraq war.

Iraq vets that joined to get a free education by doing the dirty work of an imperial power do not deserve respect. WW2 vets are another story however.

As the US and it allies engage in additional wars of choice it is our duty NOT to respect those that actively participate in these wars, whether they wear a uniform or not.

Respecting and mourning the past deceased, including so called War criminals. We have a national shrine called the "Yasukuni"
There all war related perished soldiers are buried. When a head of state goes in to pay respects to all sacrificed beings there, PRC and Korea all have to complain year after year.! WTF, only the victorious nation genre can go to and pay respect to their deceased heroes, but some defeated nation's head can't .....

You might want to be careful with respecting all veterans. For example some of them were wearing Waffen SS uniforms and most of them do not reserve any respect at all in my opinion.

Oh, please.

Read Black Edelweiss, and then come back and talk to me. It's a fairly short account of the author's service with SS Nord, written in 1945 and 1946, while the author was in various Allied POW camps. That makes it a near-contemporaneous record, unlike most "I was there" accounts of WW2 written twenty or thirty years after the fact.

Let's remember that history books are written by the victors, and not assume that the version of history which was taught to us as children is accurate, impartial, or anything like complete.

my respect is apportioned equally to all veterans of that era, regardless of which side on which they fought.

Enemy combatants often feel the same way. We might hate each other during the fighting but after the shooting is over we have the utmost respect for each other as fighters and human beings (if we behaved honorably). We often bury the enemy on the battlefield with military honors. For no one else really understands what we go through during combat better than the enemy. It is a brotherhood.

Oh, please.

Read Black Edelweiss, and then come back and talk to me. It's a fairly short account of the author's service with SS Nord, written in 1945 and 1946, while the author was in various Allied POW camps. That makes it a near-contemporaneous record, unlike most "I was there" accounts of WW2 written twenty or thirty years after the fact.

Let's remember that history books are written by the victors, and not assume that the version of history which was taught to us as children is accurate, impartial, or anything like complete.

I am not sure what your point is

[background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]GS_Dirtboy-san, me being imagining, you in the potent P 51 Mustang and me just learned to take off on that wood and bamboo made Zero fighter at my frail age of 14, but they did not doctrined me of how to land because i should not have returned. I could have out maneuvered you making innner circles beneath your P 51 but have no more bullets, cause the Imperial navy said to plunge into that big war ship![/background]

[background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]GS_Dirtboy-san, me being imagining, you in the potent P 51 Mustang and me just learned to take off on that wood and bamboo made Zero fighter at my frail age of 14, but they did not doctrined me of how to land because i should not have returned. I could have out maneuvered you making innner circles beneath your P 51 but have no more bullets, cause the Imperial navy said to plunge into that big war ship![/background]
Hubris-san drank a little too much sake with his lunch today.... :cool:

Anyone remembering the "saving private Ryan" movie.? All these years after seeing Tom Hanks doin' the role. Memorable!

That sequence has got to be one of the best in the history of film-making.

About WWII, and the soldiers, and the victims, my grandmother was in Munich at that time, and well, she told us many stories that really makes you wonder if history books are right or a "little bit" biased. I'm not buying her story because I didn't get to know her that much, she might have been a brainwashed Nazi, but well, it just makes you wonder.

My great-uncle was Reg't Sergeant-Maj of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. Landed in the first wave at Bernieres-sur-Mer on Juno Beach, served on the line from D-Day to V-E Day. One of only about 3-5 men from the original 1939 battalion to return with the unit to Canada at the end of the war (rest having been wounded and not returned to action, killed, POW, transferred to other units and sometimes departed service at end of war but returned prior).

Was hit by a car and killed in his driveway in the 1970s.

Back