Wealth Sharing

Ceviche

Registered
I have seen lately lot of animosity between people from the poor social strata towards people from the rich social strata.

That was always there, but it seems more prominent now.

What is the right answer when :-

Someone working partime for you, froths at your wealth ( obtained by your hard work/intelligence and legally)...and comments :

Why dont you increase my salary? Why don't you give me a a bonus? You earn in dollars, pay me in dollars..bla bla...

How do you guys handle such a situation?

I have seen lately lot of animosity between people from the poor social strata towards people from the rich social strata.

Someone working partime for you, froths at your wealth ( obtained by your hard work/intelligence and legally)...and comments :

Why dont you increase my salary? Why don't you give me a a bonus? You earn in dollars, pay me in dollars..bla bla...

The animosity will increase, keep all valuables under lock, never turn your back on them. Disgruntled employees that believe they are being exploited, will get even somehow.....! taking what they feel they are entitled to..!! :cool:

God this post seemed created for me thank you. The dispute of haves or have not is an eternal thing..now, next year, next or last decade between strangers or families. Today after the usual hardest week of the working year I posted on FB a blessing for all working mothers to be glad for the stresses we face this season because we are lucky to have both jobs and familes. It was heartfelt as some of my new Spanish friends aren't so lucky....and out of the blue my older non-working sister posted a response for all the non working mothers who live for families and not material goods. OMG....40+ years of age and the resentments poo up everywhere. This sister prefers to date a convicted drug dealer/murderer to buy her Louboutin shoes than work. Looks like I have a fun Christmas ahead. Hooooo hoo hoo and seasons greetings to all.

Wish I could come at this question with more experience. I have not employed anyone here. And I do think it would be a bit scary to do so, in light of the liabilities and dangers that come with it here. But from a communication perspective - have you explained it as you just stated - that you are a businessman, you earned your wealth, you are offering an opportunity at the wage you agreed upon. He can choose to accept it, or the recourse is to look for work elsewhere. That entitlement mentality is a rough one to deal with no doubt.

But also be sensitive to his side - isn't there some law here about bonuses? Seems they're kind of standard here around Christmas time, like the one you give to the trashman, mailman, etc. Even if you're not required due to his part time status, maybe some gesture would be appreciated. Another thing to be sensitive about - you have to admit that *part* of our wealth is due to the fantasy land of the US petrodollar, enforced world wide at the point of a gun. Who knows if your employee consciously thinks about that, but there is some justified underlying anger at the "haves" vs have-nots, which is likely being displaced upon you. Maybe in practical terms it boils down to either paying him more, or snapping him back to reality and stating your expectations, including working with a good attitude, not being resentful.

Good luck with your situation and with the ongoing business!

I always paid my guys in dollars (still do for the one person left to me!). And I paid them a better wage (as much as 30% more) than they could get here. But my industry (IT) is a bit of a special case. It is much more international to the employees here because so much of the work, whether it's a local company or a foreign company operating outside of Argentina, comes from outside the country.

I have a friend who has a local assistant (not for the same industry I'm in) who he pays probably about 15% or so higher than current wages and also pays her in dollars. She takes care of his house (not where he lives - he owns a huge house in town that is used sort of as a clubhouse for all of his expat friends, dinners every week, etc) and portions of his business like answering emails (in English) and other things that free him up to concentrate on his true work. He probably went through three or four assistants until he found one that was worth paying for and keeping.

I saw your other post about part time wages. You'll have a problem most likely only paying a few hours a week, as far as finding someone dependable and paying them "over and above" (as far as using that to help them be committed to you, let's say), simply because they won't be earning enough money from you. That's a bit more difficult of a situation.

It also depends on what kind of work you're looking for as to the type of person who will fill the position.

At the end of the day, you have to cut your losses with someone here quickly. With a longer-term job that's more difficult, because a lot of people will work through that three month period that the law allows for you to let someone go without causing problems and after that they may start missing work, showing up late, not doing their job, etc. However, with a part-time employee they won't have that three month grace period and you will be able to see quicker what kind of worker they make, If the person doesn't do the job you like, find another as quick as you can.

As far as pay goes, pay them more than others are getting for the same work, but not TOO much more. If you are paying in pesos, offer them a rate at a dollar amount and tell them you will pay them according to the blue rate in lieu of dollars. That's one of the reasons I liked paying in dollars (aside from the pain of getting dollars into the country) because it's the best hedge against inflation, here. Paying according to a fixed dollar rate in pesos is nearly as good, particularly for a part time job.

However, no matter what you do, you will probably run into problems. Particularly with laborers that are in an unskilled job (not sure what kind of job you are talking about). Educated workers are much more likely to accept the difference between your standard of living and the pay that you give to them than are less-educated poorer folk.

Either way, you have to deal with the lack of work ethic, which includes not only showing up to work, but also doing things half-assed and them declaring victory that the job was accomplished, when you can see that not even half of it was what you were looking for.

Welcome to employment in Argentina :)

As far as the situation specifically you asked about - all of the above was how to make yourself as fair as possible, I should have added.

You have to remember that you DO NOT have a responsibility to make others wealthy, and you shouldn't feel that this is your burden. It is not your fault that economic and social policies here are in favor of the government officials and rich people. If someone brings that up, explain that to them succinctly, but nicely and with restraint. Explain to them that you have worked your ass off to get where you are, you've (probably) invested your own time and money into making your money and you feel very bad for their plight.

Be as sympathetic as possible, but you have to be firm. You can't, for example, give them a raise because they start bitching - if you're already paying them a fair or more than fair wage.

It's difficult, it hurts, but you're here working with people and it's just something you have to harden yourself to. You can't fix all the woes in the world, but you CAN be fair and polite and if they can't handle that - let them go and move on to the next person and try it again.

El Queso,

I like your post.

I told the person that I am not going to increase the wages. the person was frothing over my wealth and passing sarcastic remarks over it. I did not like it. As I have worked extremely hard for it and its 100% legal.

But the person thinks that I am having it too easy in life ! They fail to see everything else, that goes to make it!

I told the person, to stop commenting sarcastically.

I like the person's work though. However, it is not perfect work but its good enough..

Simple economics: make sure people are replaceable and pay them at the price you could replace them. What people earn is not dependent on what you could give, but on what they are worth.

Back