weather in Calafate and surrounds

here4now

Registered
I am planning a 3-week trip down to Patagonia in April -- start in El Calafate and work my way down to Punta Arenas and perhaps end up in Ushuaia for the flight back to BsAs. What is the weather like in April? Thanks!

One year may not be like another year so my experience might not be relevant but I spent one April between El Calafate, Rio Gallegos and Ushuaia and it was clear Autumn was turning into winter - especially in Ushuaia. Expect overnight frost and cold rain. And wind: lots of it. Those bent over trees didn't get that way by accident! If you are planning lots of outdoor activities, why not start in Ushuaia and return via El Calafate? At least that way you will be moving away ahead of the approach of the worst of the weather rather than plunging right into it.

Hi-
To add a question to this thread:
I am going to Patagonia in the beginning of JANUARY- El Calafate, Ushuaia, and Bariloche.
Does anyone have any weather insight, or any gear recommendations for these places at this time?
Thanks!

I can only give advice on when I was in the South last year and what I know from it. End of April is the end of the "season" for Calafate- it was wonderful weather wise but I had the final days of the season and hadn't known about that so I was very lucky to be able to do the activities I wanted. In May you would find that the Big Ice glacier hiking finishes and some of the hotels close entirely in Calafate and also in El Chalten for hiking. I was there in April (end) and loved it (including the weather) I've been told by the Glacier guides that the wind is actually higher in summer than in winter, but yes it is cold- I like the cold though so depends where you're from! On the glacier you would sweat no matter how cold the days are. I can't promise the weather for next year but April for me was a lovely time for almost all of Argentina. It's true it may be better to start in Ushuaia and go up. Bariloche for example by May was rain rain rain for four solid days so do plan your order and check with your intended hotels and activities when their season ends. El Chalten in May was definitely mostly shut accommodation wise.

Gracias, Elhombresinnombre y Kate! Will take your advice on starting from south and working my way up.

eva_rgentina said:
Hi-
To add a question to this thread:
I am going to Patagonia in the beginning of JANUARY- El Calafate, Ushuaia, and Bariloche.
Does anyone have any weather insight, or any gear recommendations for these places at this time?
Thanks!

It's hot but the wind is FREEZING... so best advice is to dress in plenty of layers, especially if you do any of the boat tours. ie on the boat tours of the glaciers (5 years ago...) I wore a t-shirt, a zip-up running top, and a fleece with a long neck, and I pack gloves and a toque (hat). Whenever the boat was moving, all the gear went on, when we stopped for lunch etc, stripped down to the t-shirt.

Same with hiking in Chalten, lots of layers -- the cloud can come in pretty rapidly as well so top layer you'd want a waterproof / windbreaker jacket.

Back