Western Union money transfer

The whole idea of giving your login credentials to a third-party is, to me at least, scary and controversial. Of course, I did it, because I wanted the service WU was offering, and what was the worst that could happen? A liability lawsuit involving WU and my bank that would take years to sort out?

Anyway, after reading all these comments above, I did what I should have done from the beginning, and did some researching.

WU uses a company called Trustly to do the account verification. The company has been around since 2008. As of a June, 2020, article in TechCrunch, at that time it had US$ 150,000,000 in revenues, a valuation of more than US$ 1 billion (US meaning of billion), and had just raised a significant new round of funding from an investor group led by BlackRock.

Trustly's service is growing rapidly because it solves a difficult problem: verifying your account nearly painlessly, so you can use it. According to what I have read in these last couple hours, Trustly is secure, and is held by governments to the same standards as banks.

Despite this (and no doubt for the same reasons expressed in this thread), I found many comments from people who were (and are) very distrustful and confused. Not surprising. After being taught all your life not to give the username and password of ANY account to ANYONE, you're now asked to give the username and password of your BANK ACCOUNT to a third party.

However, this looks like it's here to stay, and it's going to get bigger. No doubt they'll come up with new ways over the next couple years to overcome the trust issue, but millions of people have been using it already for at least a few years now, without any glaring headlines about someone's (or many someones') bank acccounts being emptied because of a breach related to Trustly. With all the security breaches we read about these days, to me that's something.

(And a lot of people here have used it, or they wouldn't be transferring from their bank accounts. Anyone had a problem?)

Some links:
TechCrunch article
Trustly homepage
Companies that work with/integrate with Trustly
stackexchange security group's take on the issue

The whole idea of giving your login credentials to a third-party is, to me at least, scary and controversial. Of course, I did it, because I wanted the service WU was offering, and what was the worst that could happen? A liability lawsuit involving WU and my bank that would take years to sort out?

Anyway, after reading all these comments above, I did what I should have done from the beginning, and did some researching.

WU uses a company called Trustly to do the account verification. The company has been around since 2008. As of a June, 2020, article in TechCrunch, at that time it had US$ 150,000,000 in revenues, a valuation of more than US$ 1 billion (US meaning of billion), and had just raised a significant new round of funding from an investor group led by BlackRock.

Trustly's service is growing rapidly because it solves a difficult problem: verifying your account nearly painlessly, so you can use it. According to what I have read in these last couple hours, Trustly is secure, and is held by governments to the same standards as banks.

Despite this (and no doubt for the same reasons expressed in this thread), I found many comments from people who were (and are) very distrustful and confused. Not surprising. After being taught all your life not to give the username and password of ANY account to ANYONE, you're now asked to give the username and password of your BANK ACCOUNT to a third party.

However, this looks like it's here to stay, and it's going to get bigger. No doubt they'll come up with new ways over the next couple years to overcome the trust issue, but millions of people have been using it already for at least a few years now, without any glaring headlines about someone's (or many someones') bank acccounts being emptied because of a breach related to Trustly. With all the security breaches we read about these days, to me that's something.

(And a lot of people here have used it, or they wouldn't be transferring from their bank accounts. Anyone had a problem?)

Some links:
TechCrunch article
Trustly homepage
Companies that work with/integrate with Trustly
stackexchange security group's take on the issue
Just change you password after you get verified. You should be changing it every few months anyway. Also set up a 2 step verification, trusted devices, notification etc. Nowadays security relies on so many other things than just a password.

WU never asked me to do this, and I have transferred from my bank account twice now

Still don't care.. never gonna do it. I have 0 problem with going to western union in person and then the bank. Exercise is good for you lol

Still don't care.. never gonna do it. I have 0 problem with going to western union in person and then the bank. Exercise is good for you lol
I wasn't trying to sell you or anyone else. I was just sharing what I found. It wasn't about you.

What is more probable
  1. Western Union (an American company) steals your money;
  2. You are getting robbed while carrying cash to ATM machine or when depositing it.
Do you think ACH transactions in the USA require a password? WU just needs to verify that you are who you say you are.

"Run for your life" exercise may be not so good for your health.

What is more probable
  1. Western Union (an American company) steals your money;
  2. You are getting robbed while carrying cash to ATM machine or when depositing it.
Do you think ACH transaction in the USA require a password? WU just needs to verify that you are who you say you are.

"Run for your life" exercise may be not so good for your health.

To each his own. I don't aim to live to be afraid of my surroundings. Sure, I'm not going to seek out the worst neighborhood and walk around with a bag of money but you get the point. I think. I chose to guard as much of my privacy and personal stuff as much as I can. And until there is literally 0 other choice in the matter, I will continue to do so. So if I can't get the extra convenient benefits because I choose to withhold information then that's simply my choice.

Back