Western Union money transfer

I am coming to Buenos Aires in January for a vacation in Argentina (from Europe) and I only speak the most rudimentary of Spanish. I would however like to take advantage of the blue dollar rate. How much (if at all) is advisable for me to send via WU to myself to pickup Argentinian pesos in cash somewhere in Buenos Aires? Any other things I should be aware of?

You need to cover the lodging, food and entertainment, plus extras for one person?
Certainly depends on you tastes... One general comment send yourself 4 separate transfers one per week. Then asses on the ground what your needs are.

You need to cover the lodging, food and entertainment, plus extras for one person?
Certainly depends on you tastes... One general comment send yourself 4 separate transfers one per week. Then asses on the ground what your needs are.
I need to cover multiple people. I do plan on spreading it out, but we're going to Patagonia so not too many WU around I believe. So let me rephrase, is it safe (enough) to pull out say 400-600 euro in Argentinian pesos in one go with WU if you don't speak Spanish?

I need to cover multiple people. I do plan on spreading it out, but we're going to Patagonia so not too many WU around I believe. So let me rephrase, is it safe (enough) to pull out say 400-600 euro in Argentinian pesos in one go with WU if you don't speak Spanish?

No problem for that amount , must go in the PM so they have the pesos. Must inquire and perhaps come bak later. PagoFacil outlets also pay WU transfers. The situation in Patagonia , have no idea.

I am coming to Buenos Aires in January for a vacation in Argentina (from Europe) and I only speak the most rudimentary of Spanish. I would however like to take advantage of the blue dollar rate. How much (if at all) is advisable for me to send via WU to myself to pickup Argentinian pesos in cash somewhere in Buenos Aires? Any other things I should be aware of?
You'll only need the MTCN from WU and (preferably) your passport. No need to even speak as just give the cashier a paper with the MTCN number. They'll then ask for a document. The process will take minutes.

No problem for that amount , must go in the PM so they have the pesos. Must inquire and perhaps come bak later. PagoFacil outlets also pay WU transfers. The situation in Patagonia , have no idea.
Thanks, just one question, what does PM mean? Early in the morning? Late in the evening?

Perfect, so I guess the afternoon is better because money will have been delivered to those places by then?
Yes, the peso supply is partly delivered but also received from consumers that pay their bills or taxes in pesos.

It is safe enough, though confirm with the attendent that they will give you all 1000 peso bills. These are, unfortunately, the largest and you do not want to be given any smaller bills of quantity. If they do not have enough, then do not complete the transaction. Before showing your passport, only the MTCN. Try to learn from them the best time/dsy to return.

start WU transaction 7-10 days before your planned pickup date. There is no risk if you cancel or never complete. Eventually it will be canceled and returned to your EU bank.

It is safe enough, though confirm with the attendent that they will give you all 1000 peso bills. These are, unfortunately, the largest and you do not want to be given any smaller bills of quantity. If they do not have enough, then do not complete the transaction. Before showing your passport, only the MTCN. Try to learn from them the best time/dsy to return.

start WU transaction 7-10 days before your planned pickup date. There is no risk if you cancel or never complete. Eventually it will be canceled and returned to your EU bank.
Thanks for the information. I guess I will just send a couple size transactions to WU and pick up whichever they have enough money available for if WU sends back any money that does not get picked up.

Back