Western Union money transfer

USA country of no holidays, no sick days or maternity leave. Rich people's paradise.
You're absolutely right, Almost. Not sure you call, for example, Xmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, July 4 work days; most don't. As for sick days in US, if you're a govt worker you get plenty. I was a banker and had numerous days off. Even hotels like Marriott offer employees what's called PTO (paid time off). Maternity leave for me was never an issue as men don't get pregnant, usually. The point of my post was the seemingly endless holidays here. I honestly don't know how private business functions where there are so many holidays here and employees if they work get double time and can't be fired. I'm retired so it means nothing to me as one day runs into another. I can assure you in the US no bank will close for 4 straight days.

USA country of no holidays, no sick days or maternity leave. Rich people's paradise.
we do have holidays.....sort of......for the most part, they are measured by the money that they generate......and a significant number of the lower social rungs have to work on ''holidays'' to generate that income. .

Argentina: country of eternal holidays!
I was told that it was to stimulate the domestic tourist industry. If you have a four or five day break, people will go away on holiday and it won't seriously impact on other routines - that's the theory anyway.

You're absolutely right, Almost. Not sure you call, for example, Xmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, July 4 work days; most don't. As for sick days in US, if you're a govt worker you get plenty. I was a banker and had numerous days off. Even hotels like Marriott offer employees what's called PTO (paid time off). Maternity leave for me was never an issue as men don't get pregnant, usually. The point of my post was the seemingly endless holidays here. I honestly don't know how private business functions where there are so many holidays here and employees if they work get double time and can't be fired. I'm retired so it means nothing to me as one day runs into another. I can assure you in the US no bank will close for 4 straight days.
In economic terms what matters is productivity not how much you work. Some of the countries with the longest hours clocked have abismal productivity (e.g. Greece). I am not saying Argentine workers are more productive than US ones, far from it, but the US mentality glorifying hard work to the point of self denial is preposterous. I blame the American dream and meritocracy, and it's false premise that "you can be whatever you want to, as long as you work really hard..."

In economic terms what matters is productivity not how much you work. Some of the countries with the longest hours clocked have abismal productivity (e.g. Greece). I am not saying Argentine workers are more productive than US ones, far from it, but the US mentality glorifying hard work to the point of self denial is preposterous. I blame the American dream and meritocracy, and it's false premise that "you can be whatever you want to, as long as you work really hard..."
If people still believe this I feel bad for them; upwards social mobility existed for our parents/grandparents generations but for everyone else the goal is no longer to do better than the previous generations, rather to simply not slide into (or deeper into) generational poverty.

-1x-1.png

If people still believe this I feel bad for them; upwards social mobility existed for our parents/grandparents generations but for everyone else the goal is no longer to do better than the previous generations, rather to simply not slide into (or deeper into) generational poverty.

-1x-1.png
Exactly. With all that productivity increase and stagnating wages you may as well give people a few extra days off. :)

The sharp increase in productivity is due to giving workers computers and connecting them globally with the internet. The separation is due to wage competition from workers in low-cost countries.made easier by computers and the internet.

Exactly. With all that productivity increase and stagnating wages you may as well give people a few extra days off. :)
One question. Your post says "you may as well give people a few extra days off". Who will pay for that? The good fairy?

Back